can i use a power plate with bone mets?

Hi

Was talking to a physiotherapy practitioner at work and she was saying how good the power plate at the gym is for ladies with osteoporosis - i asked if she thought it would be ok to use with spinal mets - and explained how reluctant therapists are to give massage to pts with bone mets - she said she is not sure.

Does anyone with bone mets use a power plate? or heard any for/against arguments - i would like to get my back muscles strong and am not very good at swimming.

Maria x

Hi,

I have got bone mets and have been using a power plate for the past 4 months in addition to normal exercise. Its great and would recommend it. Did some extensive research before i set out, and like you could only find it for osteoporosis. Chatted to an oncology physio and my consultant and they were both happy for me to continue.

Rachelx

thats great - thanks rachel

i was worried about “moving mets” - i have it in my spine and pelvis - no pain (well only after diagnosis!!) - glad you have an onc physio - they would surely know if it was not recommended. I just want to get my back strong so i can do more without worrying and if it does some good for the mets - great

thanks again - very helpful

maria

I’m glad you asked this question as a few weeks ago I saw a programme on tv that said that astronauts loose bone density because of spending period of weightlessness in space and that when they return to earth they use power plates to get their bones back to normal so I have wondered if it would do us with bone secondaries any good. I think I will give it a go.

Linda

hi linda

well i would hold fire on the power plate for now as an onc reg that is doing some research told my physio friend that he would not recommend it - although his rationale for thinking it to be a bad idea for me is that i have spinal mets - i understand why he has said this as he is afraid if i have any advanced mets in my spine that the vibrations of the power plate could cause vertebral collapse - having said that i had an mri yesterday and have a ct scan next week (please god some good results this time as i have had nothing but bad results since the day of dx on 15 may 2008!!) - i am going to contact a physio in southhampton who is the lead physio for oncology society in the uk to see if they have any proven advantages/disadvantages to using the power plate with bony mets - so watch this space - i will post as soon as i get a reply

maria xx

Hi Maria,

I hope you finally get some good news and your scan results are good.
I’m waiting in interest to see what your physio thinks. My mets are also in the spine and I have been encouraged to continue running, using power plate etc. However, i just got an email form a lady in California with bone mets and she has been advised not to do any exercise / or power plate for fear of fractures. it would make it soo much easier if we were all told similar information.

Rachelx

I have emailed the lady today so will probably not get picked up until monday

will keep you posted

Maria x

Hi Rachel and Linda

Well i got a reply from the lady at he assoc of chartered physiotherapists in oncology and palliative care. Her advice is not to use it = bug-er - She said that she discussed it with her colleagues too and they are in agreement that no.1 it is still unfounded whether or not the powerplate works well for people with osteoporosis and no.2 the same as before - the risk of vertebral collapse (not that it will cause it but there has not been any research to say it won’t)

Sorry to be the bearer of a negative reply - i was really hoping they would email back and advise 3times a week on it. I’m starting to put on weight now with the hormone therapy. I dropped to 57kg (which is way underweight for me - i’m 5’7"(and a bit) ) with the stress of secondary dx but have steadily regained weight - but have now passed out my 61.5kg ideal weight and now weight 64kg - i don’t eat rubbish - and have cut out red meat except for maybe once a month (twice at a push) - can’t remember the last time i gorged on some cheese (yum - but trying to keep dairy intake at a minimum too!) - I hate swimming but looks like i will have to go to the pool - yuck!!

regards

maria

Hi Maria

Thank you for your post and i’m sticking to the treadmill from now on just to be sure. I wonder what exercises they would recommend we do? Did your contact give further advice, or make any comment about impact exercise such as running?
Its so hard to determine what is the right thing to do, and i don’t know about you but i tend to stick with what feels okay and the theory that the fitter we are the better. Not sure if my bones will agree with that tonight though after some energetic gardening!
Thanks again
Rachel

Maria

Thanks for your reply, even if it wasn’t what I was hoping for. Never mind, swimming is my favorite exercise anyway so I’ll stick ton that.

Linda
X

def dont use it if you have mets in the bones

Hi…I’ve only just seen this thread…I was diagnosed with bone mets 6 years ago, I have spinal mets too. I’ve always been encouraged by my Onc and his team to strengthen my bones, swimming, jogging, rather than running, etc. I was also told strengthening my bones would perhaps help guard against spinal cord compression. I don’t know if it helped, played a part at all, but Penny Brohn, one of the founders of the Bristol Cancer Centre, swam every day and lived with her bone mets for nearly 20 years.

thanks belinda

swimming is seemingly one of the best exercises we can do - it makes sense though as it is in effect a weightless exercise - no pressure on bones or joints but does increase muscular strength - which esp for all of us with bony mets makes sense as we need toned muscles to support our poor bones - i will have to get back to swimming (hate it though!) but like so many other things will just have to grin and bear it - i walk a lot but it doesn’t target those problem areas properly like swimming does

maria x