68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can my doctor tell if i have breast cancer?

7 REPLIES 7
rara74

Re: can my doctor tell if i have breast cancer?

Good advice! And glad you are doing well! Breast clinic for me on Tues 16th June,..yikes!!!!!!
Kess

I finished treatment last November currently doing well thanks 🙂 and that was starting from a very iffy position. So even if its bad news, try to take each day as it comes and just deal with the things you have to deal with.
rara74

Thank you kess for your response. I am sorry to hear that your news was not good news and i hope you are staying strong throughout your treatment. 

I am trying to keep a positive outlook. My mam had breast cancer and was so calm and cheerful ! She is my strength and inspiration!! Take good care x 

Kess

Drs cant tell they can just make educated guesses. Mine told me after that she was certain I didnt have breast cancer but was referring me just in case. I sadly did. But plenty of people who are referred, even urgently, do not have breast cancer. Of course you will worry, but hopefully it will be over nothing.
rara74

Hi janeyg. Thanks for the comforting words. I am keeping it all in perspective. I know that 9 out of 10 referrals are not breast cancer. I wasn't worried when I felt the lump. It was my doctors reaction that I keep replaying over in my head.
she went from being quite light hearted to very serious! I just wonder if doctors can tell or have a strong suspicion that a lump is cancerous.
I have had a lovely day at the park with my 3 year old little boy.
Will be thinking of you on Monday and hope it all goes fine. Let me know! My appointment is on the 16th June.
. You seem to be quite calm and very positive! I will try and be like you!!! Xxx
Janeyg

Hi rara, I'm sorry that you are going through this difficult time. I'm at the breast clinic on Monday for a lump in my right breast. Im sure the doctors play safe with most lumps and refer for it to be checked out. In my info booklet from the hospital it says most women refered to the clinic do not have breast cancer. There are lots of different benign breast conditions. With your history of your mum it must be worrying, but try to stay positive and keep busy whilst waiting. My mum didn't have breast cancer but ovarian cancer, she died from that, her two sisters also had different cancers, but today there are many many new treatments. I have a 3 close friends who have had breast cancer and beat it, so let's keep focused and positive. I'm out with my hubby and dog for a long walk in the sunshine today, what are you doing?? Xxxxxxx
Janet_BCC

Hi rara74

Welcome to the Forum.  Waiting for appointments is a really difficult time.  I've attached a link to one of our publications which explains what might happen at your clinic appointment:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/your_breast_clinic_appointment.pdf

I hope this helps.  You might also find it helps to give our Helpline a call for information and support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

rara74

can my doctor tell if i have breast cancer?

Hello, i discovered a lump on sunday and went to see my doctor on wed.  She did a breast exam on me and immediately said " i am treating this as suspected breast cancer".  She referred me as urgent. When i asked what to expect at the breast clinic she told me a mammogram, scan and biopsy and said " then they will discuss your treatment plan". 

My mam passed away from breast cancer 3 years ago so i understand her concern about my family history. Can she tell i have breast cancer from a breast exam?  Thanks! X