cancerous lump in breast reconstruction after 11 year years !!!

We’ll I didn’t think I would be back on this site.

I have just been told the pea sized lump I found in my left breast is cancerous ! So glad I didn’t ignore the lump any longer than I had, two months. As you can imagine I am shock, especially as it’s my reconstructed breast.

11 years ago I was diagnosed with BC after finding a small lump. Turned out to be 3 tumours. On 14/2/2003 I had a mastectomy, cells found in lymph nodes they cleared, tramflap reconstruction, chemo, radiotherapy, and tamoxifen.

Considering the news I am very calm. Obviously, when told the news I wasn’t. Consultant is now getting I contact with the hospital who dealt with the original cancer so he can make an informed decision on what to do next. So until then it’s bone and full body scans.

So really just wanted to let people know DO NOT ignore a lump, even if it’s in a reconstructed breast.

Hi MissGreen,

Welcome back to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  I’m sorry to hear that your cancer has returned, and if you need to talk to someone in confidence then please don’t hesitate to contact our helpline team, they’re here to support you.

0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi missgreen,

Sorry that you have found yourself on this forum but hopefully the cancer will be localised to just that area. I had a similar thing happen to me. I had a lump on my reconstruction scar and the breast surgeon organised scans for me. Unfortunately I was DX with lung Mets but that is over 2 and a half years ago and I still do not have any symptoms from these. I think because I had the lump they were DX early so treatment has helped. I hope your scans turn out clear and you have no further problems.

Good luck with your scans. Love Sheila. Xx

Hi guys. Thanks for all the words of support. It’s really appreciated. Will feel better when all tests done and hospital sort out treatment plan. Still only 44 (why is it that oldish for anything else but young for this lol ?) So if hormone receptive again that make an impact.

I am having to learn new lingo too like DX, mets, triple negative and Ned lol. Thank heavens for Google.

Thank you lulu and pumpkinsue

I am positive when I had the original tumours they tested gene tested me and it was negative. I will ask the consultant next week if the records from my old hospital indicate it. I will also ask for written info on original diagnosis as can’t remember most of it.

Xx

Phew!! CT and Bone scans came back clear. Consultant has suggested trying a lumpectomy first, as lump is so small. Will do done via day surgery. If get enough clearance then I don’t have to go through a reconstruction of my reconstruction. Will need to wait couple of weeks for results as to whether this one, like original tumours, is hormone receptive. Think chemo will be happening again, not nice but could be worse.

Thanks Sheila. Xx

Miss Green - I am relieved for you that your scans came back clear.

If you were investigated first time around for genetic variations you would probably have had to provide a whole lot of family information (basically a family tree with details of close relatives and whether or not they’ve had cancer and if so, what type, at what age, where (in the country/world) it was treated etc. - do you remember doing that?  

Also 11 years is a long time ago and a lot more is known about genetic variations now, so, if you did have a genetics referral then and want to pursue it now, you should ask for your case to be reviewed. 

Hi Skinnyminx

I remember them asking about family history but unfortunately couldn’t tell them very much. I am going to ask the Breast Cancer Nurse to see if she can check my previous hospitals records to see if they did.
X

WLE done this morning so now resting up at home. So far I have no pain but not sure if that’s anesthetic, the lump being small, it was performed on reconstruction or all three. Now just the two week wait for this set of test results.

WOW! Good day today.

Had had appointment with consultant and got news I was not expecting. The margin is clear around the lump (he even took some of the muscle to check), it’s only grade 1 and they’ve changed they’re mind with regards to needing chemo. The best case I had hoped for was clear margin but would need months of chemo, still in shock but obviously pleased.

Will now be given another five years of Tamoxifen (maybe less as I am now mid 40’s so nature may intervene) and check ups every 6 months.

One of my best friends is also pleased but on two counts, the first obviously being my health the second she no longer needs to shave her head in solidarity with me.

Now just need to fully heal from WLE and get my head back to normal.

Teresa :smiley: