chemo start date

18 REPLIES 18
Debs-

Re: chemo start date

Yes I agree Donna, I dread to think what I would have been like without it x

Donnaandfamily

Hi Debs

Emend was not a drug I was familiar with before this horrible journey.....I was told by the bc nurse I would only have the emend for the FEC because of the cost of £400....when on Tax no sickness expected so not prescribed Emend.........other ladies have been told they can only have it if they are actually sick....my hospital believes it is cheaper to give the emend rather than an admission for sickness...... which runs into the hundreds.........not actually looked it up in the BNF......regardless I think everyone should be offered it because no one wants to be sick....and £40 or £400 is cheap for patient comfort... XXX Donna

angel77

Will i be given medication to bring home ... also blue23 how long was you at the hosp for when u had your first chemo.i have to be there 6 hours x
Blue23

I was told the Neulasta injection given the day after chemo cost £1000 !!

Debs-

Hi Donna, the nurses giving me my chemo asked me to guess cost of Emend cause they were impressed with the amount Dr gave me during fec.Any way when I boasted £400 for 3 as I remembef seeing one of yiur post before about price of emend. They laughed at me in a nice way and said oh no £40 for two!!! I know you also are a nurse so now im baffled at such different price quotes lol, very interested though. I met a lady with a small bag of chemo for throat cancer and she tokd me that one bag was £22,000 a bag ea ch time...wow
Donnaandfamily

Hi Angel,

the best antisickness is Aprepitant (Emend - brand name) - it is very expensive at over £400 for 3 tablets......most hospitals give this one hour before chemo and then one tablet for the following 2 days - a total of 3 - This drug works in the brain and promotes the effectiveness of ondansetron and dexamethasone which are usually given alongside for the first dose

However some hospitals will only prescribe this when the patient has actually been sick because of the cost

Everyone responds differently to antisickness meds......ondansetron can cause constipation and is .....domperidone works well for most people

I took my domperidone x 4 daily for first 3 days...to make sure I wasn't sick...but you soon learn to tailor to suit you

xxxDonna

Blue23

Hi Angel,

I am 9 days now post first chemo (FEC) .. I was given dexamethasone , 4mg bd ( steroid and anti sickness ) and ondansetron 8mg bd for 3 days folllowing chemo then domperidone 10mg to take as required if needed to afterwards. I haven't been sick at all but did feel a bit queezy and appetite changes but now a week on I am feeling fine, just tired. So, fingers crossed so far has not been as bad as i was expecting so hope yours goes well too . Oh yes before they ran the chemo through they gave intravenous antisickness drugs plus intravenous steroids,

poemsgalore

Hi,

I was given Metaclopramide but never needed it as I had no nausea or sickness. They will probably try you with that first, don't wait until you feel sick or are actually being sick, take the tablets anyway, but if it doesn't do the trick, ask for Emend next time.

All the best

poemsgalore xx

angel77

hi all, whats the best anti sickness tablet ? x
Debs-

Hi Angel, for my 1st Heceptin I had to be up hospital for 6hrs. Its so they can monitor any infusion side effects.All the best for the 11th x
Jbf57

Hi Jinny & Angel

My picc line goes in on Friday too, and start chemo on next Wednesday also.  I'm TNBC also Jinny, will be thinking of you both over the next few days. Stay strong.

Janex

jinny2611

no im trip neg but just had phone call to go in morning to get other breast checked as found new lump i cant believe it i feel sick and just cant cope no more

angel77

thankyou jo1 .. i must admitt i was desperate to get my date for treatment to start but now i have it im a bit worried as to what to expect x hope all goes well with your operation x
Jo1

Dear Angel and Jinny,

Sending lots of positive thoughts for you both for 11th. I'll remember, as I'm in for my op on 12th - not that they'll know what to expect until they go in apparently, as MRI doesn't give them enough info.

We'll all have to take deep breaths and put our shoulders firmly down - mine are spending a lot of time by my ears at the moment due to the stress of it!

angel77

oh ok im in farnborough hants , are you having herceptin too ? x
jinny2611

Im in north east x

angel77

where do you live jinny2611 ? just wondered if ts the same hosp as me x
jinny2611

I start my chemo 11 june i go fri first to see whats what im terrified feel so weak x

angel77

chemo start date

ive finally got my start date for chemo and herceptin its 11th june .picc line being put in this friday .. my first apointment i have to be up the hospital 6 hours ,did anyone else have to be up there that long ?? x