chemo - wig info

Ok so i have my sentinel lymph node biopsy op on 29th. 7 nov i get results & if scar from op ok i start chemo (before lumpectomy to try shrink cancer). So v soon ill be starting chemo. i believe after first lot you lose your hair. im 32 & have an 8yr old boy. i dont really want him to see me totally bald or friends kids etc as it can scare them. i know ill be scared when i look at myself. i live in derby. do the nhs sort fittings for wigs or give any money towards one? Or do i have to go sonewhere & sort myself? Need to do it asap really before treatment starts & feel well enough. thanks x

Im not 100% sure as ive not started chemo yet either but I think I remember my bcn telling me you get a voucher towards one and they will tell you where to go…im sure someone who definitely knows will come along soon.
Ive also been told that not everyone loses their hair?? Dont know how true this is, ive a friend thats just had chemo for lung cancer and she hasnt but I dont know if it depends on the the amount of chemo etc…
Ive got 4 children from 2 years to 11 years and tried to explain that the medicine I get might make my hair fall out just to prepare them…they keep talking about it now so im hoping its not going to be as much of a shock if/when it happens :slight_smile:
(((Hugs)))

Hi Helen, speak to your bcn she should be able to point you in right direction for your area.  You are entitled to a free prescription for a wig or certainly a big chunk of money towards it and depending on your local provision this can be done at the hospital or there will be links with a professional wig shop in your town.  You could even contact the wig shops yourself and ask there advice, they often just need a fax referral from the hospital, but am sure they’ll be more than happy to advise and guide you in the meantime.  They can often give advice on things like headscarves etc too.  I can understand that you want to get one sorted before you actually lose your hair,  

Good luck xxx

Thank you for all the helpful info. i have a pre chemo appointment on 28th. ill probably receive voucher then but day after um in for my sentinel lymph node biopsy op so doubt ill feel like travelling to nottingham & finding a wig that week. i am dreading that op & sooo frightened of the chemo. im not sure how ill im going to feel. and since reading up on herceptin & the heart problems its causing im petrified (im her2 +)x

Hi, I live near chesterfield and I know my friend got help towards her wig x

Hi, 

I had a NHS wig as well as brought a cheap one on the internet just through doing a google search. Then I found out about www.heathershair.co.uk which is a charity that has weaves on hair bands to wear under your hat or scarf. I got a full weave and hardly wore my wig at all. It’s all done by donation and there is a choice of colours and styles, however as they are made from human hair they can be dyed, cut etc. Worth checking them out.

All the best for your treatment. It’s not easy but on the plus side my hair is now growing back nicely. 

Take care and rest as much as possible.