1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused! Do I have two types of BC?

12 REPLIES 12
stressy_messy

Re: confused! Do I have two types of BC?

Hi samjs, I was diagnosed in 2007 I had central mx then chemo (3 FEC/3TAX) and rads and have just finished five years of Tamoxifen and am discharged from clinic and doing really well, no evidence of disease. Although my invasive bit was quite small I did have lymphovascular invasion and 1 node with cancer cells in so was advised to have chemo.
Glad all went well yesterday and good luck with your results xx

samjs

Thanks Mel.
X
Melrose15

Morning Sam. Glad all went well for you. Wishing you a good recovery xx
samjs

Mel what follow up treatment are you having?
Sam
samjs

Hi ladies,
Well further along the journey now. I had my lumpectomy and snb yesterday. I spoke to my consultant and he confirmed I had high grade dcis and grade 2 invasive, he did say it is quite common. Glad it's been taken out, now back on the waiting train for results in 2 weeks.
Xx
roxygirl

Hi Samjs
I had a WLE on 15 May and was told after the operation that my lump was a large mixed invasive ductal and invasive lobular cancer when preoperatively they were telling me it was a small invasive ductal. I think it is quite common to have areas of DCIS and invasive ductal together. I also had to have an area of DCIS removed from the other breast at the same time!
Sharon
stressy_messy

Hi samjs, I had grade 3 DCIS and grade 2 invasive, as others have said the DCIS bit is contained in the milk ducts and hasn't developed the ability to spread yet. good luck for tomorrow.
Melxx

MarthasSOS

Good luck for tomorrow Sam - You will be in my thoughts xxx
samjs

Thanks for the rplies ladies. Like I say I am having my op tomorrow so will see teh surgeon prior to it so will ask him to explain it more clearly.

Hope you are all keeping well. Injection today ready for eth blue dye tomorrow but I am being rewarded for being brave by having lunch with my mum and dad.

Xxx
Morwenna

I presume you are confused about the grade 2 vs grade 3?

I suspect you will get more information after you've had the WLE, and they can examine the whole thing. I believe cancer is graded according to the physical characteristics and how the cells appear to be behaving, and the problem with biopsies is that they only take a snippet, a snapshot of a part of the problem. It's like looking at a few pieces of a jigsaw. As I say, once they take the whole thing out, they can see the whole picture, and I'm sure more information about the grading and staging, receptor status, whether there is lymphovascular invasion etc will become apparent.

Good luck. This stage is all about waiting, and seems to in painfully slow motion. Once you start your treatment plan you'll be on a roll!!

xxx
lisa79

Hi Sam,
I don't know a lot but I can share what I know about my own lump. As Jill rightly said, DCIS isn't invasive as it is "in situ", but (I think) can become invasive. My biopsy said IDC, possible grade 3, but after my WLE the path report said definitely grade 3 IDC with an area of DCIS. I asked one of the surgeons if that was normal, whether it was just the one lump or two, and what impact it had on treatment. He said it is quite common/normal to have more than one type of cancer in a tumour, ESP as I think DCIS can become IDC, that I only had one mass/lump which had areas of different BC, and that the treatment was designed looking at the worst of the cancers found and whether it had reached the lymph nodes. For DCIS I think chemo isnt always necessary but high grade invasive warrants it (although i didnt finish mine and the oncologist doesnt seem to be worried). In other words, don't fret, it is common! As your biopsy showed invasive BC I'm guess chemo was always on the cards?
Lisa xx
Tolliebelle

Hi Sam
As far as I am aware DCIS is cancer that has not yet got the ability to spread and the IDC is the invasive type. I had IDC grade 3 removed in Feb 11 and they also found 3 DCIS lumps which were also removed. So Isuppose you can say you have 2 types but I dont think it is uncommon to find seperate lumps of DCIS when they operate I may be wrong though!!
I think the more aggressive the DCIS the more likely it may be to spread outside the duct and become IDC???

I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon

Jill
samjs

confused! Do I have two types of BC?

Hi everyone,
I am having a lumpectomy on Wednesday but have been a bit concerned since I saw my MRI report.
I'll go back a bit first.
I was diagnosed following a biopsy to have invasive BC. Then on my MRI report it also said DCIS aggressive. Then invasive Grade 2. Well I have been thinking and winding myself up so my OH said to ring the BCN. So I did today and she said the DCIS agressive means high grade. She did say to speak to my consultant when I see him on Wednesday before my op.

Has anyone else been in this situation? As now I am not sure if I have two types of cancer or not.

Sam