confused on reconstruction surgery offered

Just looking for any thoughts on this.  Ive had my chemo and my surgery is due 13 Nov.  I already had sentinel biopsy and know at least 4 nodes involved.     I had diep flap on left side in 2001.       My right side over the years had become larger than the reconstruction.   It was suggested that surgeon uses existing breast skin to form a flap and to use a tissue expander with a port.   This is new to me although Ive read about it.        However - was told I may need radiotherapy.      I thought radiotherapy after any kind of reconstruction was difficult ???   They also mentioned using strattice.     I have rung my bcn back but I’m hoping someone here might clarify my muddled mind.

thanks

Dear helenm1

Sorry that you havent received a reply as yet, in the meantime do give our Support line a call 0808 800 6000.  Open Monday-Friday 9-5 & Saturday 10-2.

Helen is your new surgery to the right or left side? I had and expander before rads earlier in the year. So far the impant is not affected (rads finished 21 July). But plan is to replace it with a permanent silicon implant in the new year.

There’s a good book called the breast reconstruction handbook (or guidebook) which I got from amazon. Bcc and Macmillan have good guides too.

Hi Helen I had both breasts reconstructed using implants with ports. They are gel with saline in the centre and they are implanted half full then saline is added when you’re skin has healed and muscle has expanded enough to take more volume. I chose this to save having expanders and  then a second op for implants and it worked well for me. I haven’t had any extra saline as yet as I’m trying to decide if I need any more volume. My op was end of August  and I’m happy with the look and feel of the implants. Hope this helps!

Forgot to mention the rads bit. I had had rads on one breast and this causes skin and muscle to be less elastic but haven’t had a problem. They’ll leave your implant half full until after rads so you can recover then they’ll top you up. Luckily didn’t need a second rads this time. Good luck!

Thanks that helps. I’m due to hv the op on 13nov