cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constipation

16 REPLIES 16
queenie_from_d

Re: constipation

hi.was constipated for days then tryed movicol omg it has worked a bit to well if you now what i mean .everytime i go for a pee soory to be so blunt still we are all ladies here.hpoe it all settles down soon.try to drink plenty
queenie

poodlepatch

hi
I find taking 2 senokot every night, regardless, really works. I was told to do this by my onc.

tillie45

hi,
Dulcolax ( little yellow bombs as we call them!) always work for me - but do take them at night and not as i did as i forgot - first thing in the morning, which eventually took affect at the most inopportune moment
Lou x

Libralady

Brilliant post and subject lol......what are we like?

I have always suffered with constipation...oooh the times i have sat on a toilet for the loooonnngggeeeestt times awaiting Sir Poohard to come forth!

Dulcoease or dulcolax worked for me - it did give me some tummy gripes whilst it worked its magic but ooohhh the relief!

emmbee

Hi all,

Not funny when you can't go. When on chemo I took Dulcease capsules to prevent constipation, they make the stool take up lots of water so they are soft. Worked a treat. Stick to Paracetamol for pain relief.

Very funny Blessing. I was very moved.

E

ragamuffin

Pain relief medication can cause constipation too - especially morphine and codeine.

Daysie

I had general anaesthetic last weekend for SLNB and have been bunged up all week, with a bloated full feeling. Finally just been to the loo - like giving birth, bad tummy pains, but at last the offending Mr Hankey is now on way to the sea! lol...but my toilet blocked :o( I didn't know a GA could cause this lol.

cromercrab

I found lactulose very good. As well as drinking lots. I suffer due to chemo. It's a lot gentler than movicol. Constipation makes me feel sluggish and generally yeuch
X Sarah

hjv123

Also be aware that the anti-sickness drugs they give u during chemo can cause horrendous constipation as well. I had it quite bad after my first FEC but was better prepared for the second which was fine. They do mention it at the time but u have so much information overload that it doesnt always sink in. So if anyone is starting chemo, be prepared,prevention is better than cure,lol.

TeeCass

carrots and pomengranite juice oh and went for a curry at the end of a bunged up week, worked wonders xx

herbidacious1

Great , now i have something else to worry about before my op on the 8th Nov but thank goodness i can now add syrup of figs to my pre op shopping list and be prepared! As long as i don't put it in the freezer with all the ready meals i have to stock up on so we don't starve whilst i'm incapacitated, it will be fine!
Herbi x

sunflower16

well I just can't believe this, I have had exactly the same problem and you know what I didn't click that it was related to the op, how daft of me.
Op was last thursday and lets just say nothing happened until last night thats 9 days! During this time I had eaten lots of fruit drank gallons of water and had the yoghurts that promise action but absolutely nothing until I took 2 tesco laxatives and within 2 hours things happened and phew didn't I know about it hahaha
It is so unfair that on top of the op this is a side issue I wish they had warned me about this at the hospital, but hopefully people who are due for ops will see this and be prepared.

Blessing

I suffered week before last too!
Had a general on the Wed and wasnt "right" for another 5 days. This happened to me last time I had surgery too. In fact the surgeon, said not to take codeine as it helps "back you up", along with the effects of the surgery.
I didnt take codine and took ibrofen with paracetamol. I took something called lactulose daily which gently softens everything - I had it when I had just given birth years ago. I also used anasol HC supositories, as again this settles any developing piles and softens the front of the stool, which in my case had been there for a couple of days.
I laugh at myself as I write, taking about toilet matters.... but hey, that on top of everything else!!
May you be moved by my post!
Blessing

Jan

Hi joloz1

I use Ortisan cubes from the herbalist. Best thing I've found. Completely natural. Work like a charm.

Hope you get sorted. Constipation is horrible

J xx

elinda45

Movical can be very effective but it did give me a lot of stomach gripes. Another option is to by Califig (basically syrup of figs) which isn't a strong laxative but just helps keep things moving.

For something much stronger, then I use senna but that's powerful stuff. Elinda x

truffle_shuff

hi, try movicol, works wonders, but need to take it even when u get a result to avoid the dreaded constipation coming back.

take care x

joloz1

constipation

Hi all, had wide local excision and sentinal lypmph node removal on tuesday, problem is i'm terribly constipated and have been since last saturday. tried apricots, fresh veg and onto prunes but nothings working...any ideas ? xxx