creams??

Hello,
Following mastectomy, SNB and then axillary clearance I am now half way through my chemo. I have to have radiotherapy and am wondering what creams/lotions to use to keep the skin good prior to this?
Have read alot about oestrogens, parabens, thalates and laureaths. My tumour was E+ and HER2 +ive so I have some concerns.

Hi, I’ve just finished rads last week and was given a tube of aqueous cream but others have said you can buy aqueous cream from Sainsburys at the momentin a pot. I started moisterisuring about 10 days before with any moisteriser and then used the aqueous cream 3 days before. When you start rads use the cream 2 or 3 times a day. I’m fair skinned and was worried about burning but my skin was just slightly pink, i was quite relieved.

Rads is a doddle compared to chemo, nothing to worry about

The rads dept was going to give me aqueous cream as that seems to be protocol. I’m allergic to it so used 99% aloe vera instead and it helped a lot. They approved me using this and it does have to be the almost pure version.

My skin still went dry and eventually I had to get some hydracortisone/antibiotic cream to ensure I didn’t get it infected. It wasn’t that bad though and the worst of the dry skin was after the rads had finished as you still keep cooking for a bit.

You’ll be fine - do what they say and ask any questions at all!!

As the others have said, acqueous cream - dirt cheap, big bucket for a few quid in Sainsbury’s or Boots - or 99% aloe vera gel - Holland & Barrett or similar. Use plenty every day during rads. No deoderant (or some places allow aluminium free ones) no scented soap. Some hosps suply acqueous if you ask. If your skin gets sore do tell them, and they can give you special gels, dressings etc.

Hope it all goes well for you.

I didn’t use aqueous at all - just a combination of E45 and 99% Aloe Vera. I didn’t have any skin breakdown, just a bit of sunburn!
Dx

Hi used aqueous cream 4 times a day and when back from rads appt took bra off and plastered area in it and put on cotton camisole (it was summer time) they would not approve 99% Aloe Vera gel though.Think it depends on your dept. Also remember to drink lots of water to keep well hydrated I am fair haired and skinned but skin was OK ( they do check it everyday) Good Luck J xx

Hello 1234

I slapped on lots of aqueous cream at least twice a day that I bought in Tescos - a great big tub cost about £2.50. Remember to carry on using it for at least a fortnight after you complete your rads, and make sure that you don’t just apply it to your boob as your breast tissue extends beyond this. Rub it in up to your shoulders, around beyond your underarms and down to your waist. Only use Simple soap or the equivalent for washing and the same in the bath instead of bubble bath and don’t sit and soak the area either. Gently pat yourself dry too - no vigorous rubbing and scrubbing! And drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated.

Try not to wear anything that rubs the area either - sloggi crop tops are nice and soft and ideal - and again for the fortnight after you finish rads too. No deodorant either, and when you do go back to using it test your skin first and stop if it irritates you.

I came through my rads totally unscathed, and the radiologists will be checking your skin for you too.

Lastly, but not least, start doing your post-op exercises as rads can tighten up your skin too.

Of course, if you do get any problems seek the advice of the staff looking after you.

As everyone says, compared to chemo, rads are a doddle, so just lie there and smile for the camera!

Good luck

Mazzalou xx

Hiya, I had rads last July, about 2 weeks before, I used Simple soap and Simple shower cream. Put on aloe vera 99% gel twice a day and I didnt have any reaction at all to rads, it was a breeze for me after chemo.I used the simple stuff all the way through and still using it now. I also drunk 8 glasses of water every day and walked for 40 minutes a day 6 times a week and I honestly belived that helped too. hope it all goes ok for you xx

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

I did have a problem with under breast area during radiotherapy and tried Aloe Vera and another cream whose name has slipped my mind- eventually tried Aqueous cream from Poundland and it was great! Still using it almost 6 months after rads only now I add a little of my favourite perfumed body lotion - a little goes a long way- and my skin is better than it’s been for years,
Margaret x x x