dcis diagnosis

Hello all I was diagnosed with dcis on thurs and I’m 30yea old.consultant says it’s an unusual presentation as usually in over 50yr old’s and not in lump formation.took some more biopsys from lump and one from lymph gland too and results should be back in a week.Thursday was spent crying nonstop but since then I feel unusually calm and can talk about it freely without shedding anymore tears.not sue if I will suddenly break into hysterics or stay this calm.have a 14month old so maybe she is keeping me sane so far x

Hi hobbittoes

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences and support you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Hobbittoes
I was diagnosed with DCIS in Feb (age 48 yrs)but with no lump - it was diagnosed via mammogram as I’m on the Family History screening programme (Mum & Nan had BC). My lymph nodes were not thought to be involved so I had WLE (wide local excision) then had it repeated as they didn’t get clear margins the first time. I recovered well and quickly from both ops. No chemo needed luckily so just waiting for 15 rads.
My oncologist told me that it is likely that I will make a good recovery and the outcomes for DCIS are very good.
I think your reactions are quite ‘normal’. It’s a bit of a rollercoaster ride but try to go with the flow, if you need a good cry have one and if you feel upbeat, celebrate it. Most of all, don’t feel guilty - take time to look after yourself.
It must be more difficult being so young and with a little one to think about but it gets easier once you have a plan for treatment. personally I found the waiting the most difficult bit.
Sending hugs accross cyberspace

Sue x

Thanks Sam and sue.I’ve already got that pack thanks Sam,they gave me it at hospital and has answered some of my questions already.this forum although great so far also is makin things abit scarier in a way.used to be such a worry wort before having baby and now can feel it coming back.
sorry to hear your going throu it sue but you sound very positive ans that it’s all going well for you.they seem to move things along quite quickly then.where about are you?I’m in west Wales. Thankyou for your kind words,it’s amazing how people find strength in each other without knowing them but knowing exactly what they are feelin and experiencing.I have an aunty throu marriage who had bc 20yrs ago n mow has it in her bones. I’ve spoken to her briefly but things have changed so much in the medical world.she will be there thou to help with the emotional side too.

I hope you keep strong too then sue as your comin tthrough your challenges.sending you hugs too x x x

Hi Hobbittoes
I think it’s normal to be worried but try not to let it take over. I try to take pleasure in the small things in life…spending time with my soppy cat, messages of support from friends and being out in the gardeb on a sunny day :slight_smile:
I’m in Norfolk just outside Norwich. The service has been pretty good here. I’m pretty good these days at being able to tell my friends when I’m struggling and they always respond - even if it’s just with a text or Facebook message.
Those cells are already with histology and no amount of worrying will change what they are. It may be better to save your energies to enable to you deal with whatever comes your way if you can. Believe in yourself.
I think we can make connections with othere sin lots of different ways. This forum has certainly helped me many times. After all we are all human beings and we are all able to show compassion.
I hope you get good results next week and thanks for the hugs back :slight_smile:

Sue XXX