delayed reconstruction

delayed reconstruction

delayed reconstruction Girls, I am going into hospital tomorrow to have a mastectomy (3rd op in 2 x wks - others were to see if they could get away with removing bad areas without the need for the full monty!). I have then got to have rads as originally planned and surgeon says they wont do the reconstruction at the same time as the op tomorrow. I have to wait until after rads to have reconstruction as the radiation will make the implant go hard. The reconstruction will then be done in a few months time.

has anyone else had this done in this order? What happens to the breast skin after they have taken the bad tissue - surely they have to leave this intact as the implant will have to be fitted into the breast ‘pocket’ - not sure how it works.

karen xx

Reconstruction To Karen
I had a double mastectomy in 2003.
Followed by Chemo & Radio in 2004.
Then had to go on the waiting list for reconstuction.
Reconstruction started in 2005.
Skin stretching by inflaters and finally implants 2006.
Now on the waiting list for nipples (hopefully 2007).
Then have to go on the waiting list for tattooooooooooooos.
Toooo Theeeem Thaat Doooo Nooot Haaave Toooo Waaait .
No hard feelings at all honest
xx

delayed recon Hi Karen
I had my mastectomy 2 years ago and have only just decided to go for reconstruction. They will take most of the breast skin when you have your mastectomy, to leave you flat on one side. If you don’t decide to have a tissue expander imlant where the skin is gradually stretched, then they can replace the skin with tissue from elsewhere on your body. They can use back muscle but this also needs an implant, or tissue from your tummy. If you have enough tummy fat you probably won’t need an implant. Obviously these types of operations are more complicated so the recovery times are longer. Breast Cancer Care has a good leaflet on reconstruction - I think you can download a copy, or phone them up and they’ll send you one. If you ‘google’ breast reconstriction you’ll also be able to see photos.
Good luck
fantan

Tram flap op I have had a tram flap reconstruction and after 6 weeks had three weeks of radio therapy…have noticed slight change in breast but they did pin point where they would direct treatment to cause as little change as possible. They also said it should settle down. There is red ness around nipple looks like a bulls eye but as it is numb i cant tell if its sore or not…hope this is of some help. Good Luck

For Karen Hi Karen

As fantan mentioned there is a publication on reconstruction available from breast cancer care. You can down load it or read it on line from the following link.

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_reconstruction
_dec06_web_0.pdf

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

On-line Host
Breast cancer care

I had my mastectomy last year. The surgeon would not do a recon at the same time as it seemed likely I’d need rads (which I did). He explained that rads can damage a reconstruction. My breast and skin were removed to leave a flat scar. My BC nurse explained that, if I decided to have a recon, I’d need a skin graft as the skin on the mastectomy side won’t stretch now. I have to wait a minimum of a year from the last session of rads befoe I can have a recon. I’m seeing the plastic surgeon in August to discuss the options but I think I’m going to leave well alone.
Geraldine