delaying radiotherapy for a holiday

Hi. I had WLE 10th August and already had a month long holiday booked and paid for which will commence 24th October.

I recently had my planning appointment for rads and was given a date of 1st October to start 15 sessions, so that will finish 21st Oct just 3 days before I fly off on my long haul flight. Appreciate they took note of the dates of my holiday but finishing 3 days before the flight seems a close to me.

My worry is being extremely sore on the flight, as I seem to read here that some womens skin break down just as their course of rads finish. Im fair skinned and burn easily so guess I will have some breakdown of skin no matter how much cream I put on myself.

Wont be too bad when I get to my hoiday destination as will be staying with relatives and have access to air conditioned room so can spend the 1st week recovering from my flight (and skin breakdown if any) Just worried about being more uncomfortable on the 13 hour flight from here to Malaysia.

I was thinking, is it feasible to ask if my sessions can start when I come back from my holiday end of november. Or is that not advisable. I do notice here that some people do wait for rads several months after their ops.

Hi

You won’t necessarily be burnt by rads - I burn extremely easily in the sun and yet I was fine with rads. I used loads of aquaeous cream and that seemed to stop breakdown of skin and I just got a couple of spots. However, everyone reacts differently and whatever you do, sun before or after rads is highly contraindicated. The biggest problem I had was tiredness, so I needed extra rest. If you are planning a strenuous holiday, then no way after rads, but if you will have the chance to rest, then a holiday could be ideal.

From my personal experience, I wouldn’t delay radiotherapy as I feel the sooner the better. Leaving it until you return in November is getting on for 4 months after treatment which is cutting it fine, particularly if there is a further problem which may delay it such as machine failure (does happen) or if you are ill with something else and have to delay. I should think you will be fine on holiday as long as you dont go out in the sun and are sensible.

Hi

I finished my rads at the end of January. No problems at all with skin etc and went on holiday 4 days after finishing. I just made sure that I kept the area well covered in the sun. It was so good having the holiday after treatment and was able to relax properly.

Take care and enjoy your holiday.

Mal x

Thanks Mal and Cathy. Yes think it is more sensible to have my rads and slap on the cream and hope for the best :slight_smile: Will not be sunbathing and will try to avoid the sun as much as possible and just chill out lol.

Now trying to find out about lympho sleeves for the flight.

Dear Gocat, I had a 3 month wait between my WLE and 15 sessions of Rads. My skin held up well but I felt really ill afterwards particularly the first 2 weeks.
If it were me, I’d have the holiday and then the rads. Everyone reacts differently and not all of us sail through the treatments. Also a gap between treatments isn’t that unusual
Best wishes
Leadie

What is the average wait between WLE and rads? Just wondering.

I had my WLE on 12 Aug and start rads on 22nd Sept .They would not delay until 12th Oct ,which worried me a bit!But its best to get it done I think.
Dot

There is a systematic review in the Cochrane library which looks at several studies of head and neck and breast cancer For anyone that doesn’t know, the Cochrane review system is government funded where a team of researchers gather all the existing information and put it together, carefully selecting which research articles are valid and which are not. Basically, any conclusion they draw is well worth noting. For further information, the NHS library is full of good information.
This particular study draws the conclusion that
“A delay in initiating RT has an adverse effect on local control in breast and head and neck cancer. There is no good evidence that delay is without risk”

I have put the link here jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/abstract/21/3/555

Although I agree with Leadie that some may have a reaction to radiotherapy which may affect your holiday, in my opinion, your priority should be your cancer treatment.

Hi Gocat

My rads started 4 wks after wle.

I have really fair skin that burns easliy, but 20 rads were no problem, just went a bit pink. Given aqueous cream by hosp.

Personally, I wouldnt wait, Id get it over with and then enjoy my holiday.

All the best

I started rads 9 weeks after my WLE, think it is luck of the draw as to whether your skin breaks down or not,and was told it doesn’t help if you are large breasted either. However,would recommend slapping on the cream twice a day in the two weeks before then upping it to 4x day during rads.A little and often is what I was told.I only used aqueous cream and have sizeable 40e boobs but I was fine.Make sure you drink plenty water too and fingers crossed you will be fine.

Sandra x

Hi I just completed 16 rads sessions, skin is fine. I had surgery on 10th June and they wanted to start rads at the beginning of August. I had a week holiday booked so postponed rads till 17th August. I was told it was up to me what to do and wasn’t advised not to delay. A month’s holiday is a fair bit of time though. I don’t think the biggest problem will be to your skin, but more likely tiredness. Why don’t you ask your onc/bcn for some advice?

alex
xx

I’m just wondering because they say it has to be properly healed before radio. It’s one month since my WLE and my scars are fine but that side of my boob is still very tender when touched, feels a bit lumpy too.

Oncologist says she doesn’t need to check it, hopefully radiologist will though?

Got a phone call yesterday to say rads has been bought forward to this friday. So means I should finish 15th Oct. Will give me an extra week for some healing if the skin does break down or at least give me a chance to get comfortable with whatever condition my skin is in and better able to manage it I hope.

Wonder if they read this forum lol.