diagnosed 5 years ago today and happy and healthy

I just wanted to share what is a huge milestone for me.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years today -  I never thought I would see this day given the ‘stats’ and prognosis I had at the time and I am so grateful for each and every day -  something that I always took for granted.   .  I  had a WLE, then Mx,  tumour being 9cm - I also had significant node involvement and vascular invasion and had all my nodes removed - also 3 weeks of rads with a booster at the end and badly burned.    I am still on hormone theropy and intend to stay on it as long as I can.  My life has changed significantly since my diagnosis I have taken charge  - I have taken early retirement from a high pressured job, we have renevated a house and moved and I am now spending my time doing things I really enjoy,  I have had delayed beast reconstruction, uplift on good breast , new nipple and nipple tattoo.   I am fit healthy and have lost a significant amount of weight, I have time now to consider my diet, buy and cook healthy foods, go to the Gym where I have met many new friends.    I want to say thank you to BCC who have been my lifeline and all those lovely people who have helped and supprted me through the dark days and who are still supprting me now.  For those newly diagnosed there is light at the end of that tunnel!  x 

Hi saffronseed

Thank you for sharing your news and for your thanks, it’s wonderful to read that you are feeling so well and enjoying life and I am sure many users will find this uplifting and helpful

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Thank you for sharing. Strength and change often arise after adversity. X

Hi Saffronseed,

What a lovely post thank you for sharing :slight_smile: I am just coming up to 3 years and have my 3rd year mamogram in feb  always an anxious time, so always lovely to read positive posts

L x

I am also 5 years on from diagnosis - bilateral WLE, rads and hormone therapy, no chemo needed thankfully. The team that treated me were absolutely SUPERB, and the support from this forum has saved my sanity many times (I have no family, and kept everything secret until surgery was finished as I am rather a private person). All my treatment is finished and I feel such relief.

Now I’m 67 and fair, fit and fine, and making plans for the life post-BC. This will involve my two gorgeous little dogs, holidays, home and garden, and doing all the things that went a bit ‘on hold’ for 5 years. So lots of walking, lots of visiting friends, lots of theatre, music and cinema, and generally realising I have been blessed.

Every best wish to everyone just starting on this process - you WILL get through it!

Grumpy

Saffronseed and Grumpy,

Thank you both for sharing - good to hear positive outcomes encompassing positive changes to life.

It’s almost unquantifiable the degree of change this makes to us as individuals, getting one’s head round that and then working out what you can change and how takes time. As I see it this may be a series of fairly small changes which collectively add value to life moving on.

Sometimes I look up from my desk at work and think did this really happen and know instantly there is no question…I am a very different person to that sat at this desk a year ago!

Spot the person who’s still a few months off anniversary 1!

Thanks
Seabreeze

Wow Saffronseed, great news and very inspiring to those of us not so far on (1 yr 9 months from dx of large tumour with node involvement). Thank you for posting, and here’s to the next 5 years!

Seabreeze, you’ve got it in one, that’s exactly how it was for me - one step at a time. And it has been exhausting due to all the emotion, and ensuring I focussed on me getting well. Yes life changes, and I’ve found I am much more sensitive to the troubles of other people and more tolerant of human frailty and foibles - I don’t have to like/agree with everyone else, but I must recognise their entitlement to conduct their lives as they see fit. That seems to me to be a bonus of wisdom…

Grumpy

Xxxx

Hey Saffronseed how lovely to hear your news. 5 years for me on Monday. I remember you well from using the forum regularly 5 years ago. So I had WLE lumpectomy followed by MX , FEC-T chemo and rads. Got lymphodema at 2 years. Delighted to be at 5 years and planning to take tamox for 10. Major changes I made post diagnosis include working part time and taking lots of exercise.
All the best everyone

Hello!!! You did what I’ve just done, come back to pass on good news. Glad about your five years Saffie x

Hello ladies from March 2010 lovely to see your familiar user names from those dark scarey early days but happy to report I have just had my 5 years clear last week and just posting here to give  the others newly diagnosed that there is lots of good news stories and however low and awful you feel through treatment you will come through it a much stronger healthier better person .I am looking forward to being a gran in August and living life to the full.I couldn’t have done without all of you inspirational group of ladies who were always at the other end of the keyboard for me and have made such a special group of friends who I still meet up and go away on holiday with  we have lost some friends along the way who will never be forgotten and have a special place in our hearts .I love you all xxxxxx  take care ladies Julie