1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diagnosed on 6th january with secondary breast cancer - not sure how to feel

7 REPLIES 7
Rose47

Re: diagnosed on 6th january with secondary breast cancer - not sure how to feel

Hello

i am also newly diagnosed with liver and hip secondary.  It's so much to take in and I struggle each morning when the realisation hits me.  I was just wondering after reading your post how you are getting on ? 

Big hugs

M xx

cmccallum05

Re: diagnosed on 6th january with secondary breast cancer - not sure how to feel

Sarahmummy,

I am on this site as a daughter who's mum has BC with mets to bones and liver. It has been a struggle and scary. My mum has not lost hope and plans to not go anywhere :). When diagnosed the doctos told us she would not be cured, but she would be managed. This cancer is so unique and they don't understand it full to cure it. Don't let that scare you, because it's not just this cancer, it's all cancers.

My aunt has been living with bone and lung mets for years. She did Chemo when intially diagnosed with primary, then hormone treatments when mets appeared. Her doctor told her something else would take her before the cancer would. The one positibe note with BC is that there are several treatment options.

I am slowly learning that incurable does not mean a death sentence. I mean, we will all die some day, and all the others days we will not. I know it may sound easy for me to say, someone without cancer. BUT my mom is my life...I'm 26, single, and live alone. I have good friends, but my mom is my best freiend. She stays with me months on end because I get lonely and we just feed eachothers souls. We are blessed to be family, but even more as friends. Her illness has changed my life. I often feel I have cancer too...and I wish I could take it from her.

I hope you find hope today and know that you are not alone. ❤️

Hugs from Canada

Ethel_horner

Hi Cazza, you are right about right shoulder pain being indicative of liver problems. If you have had breast cancer then you should insist on further investigations. I have a friend who was sent for physiotherapist for six months before insisting on further investigations. She, like many others, needed treatment for liver problems. It's always better to know as quickly as possible. You know your own body and asking for further tests is the right thing to put your mind at rest. Ethel 💋

Kellc

Cazza36
Hope you don't mind me asking but how was your secondary diagnosed did you have any symptoms. I have been suffering with an ach in my right shoulder for two months had an x ray but my doctor said everything ok.i know that thid can be a sign of liver disease

helen44

Hi newbies,

Really sorry that you have had to join us but you've come to the right place - we are a mad friendly bunch, just ask lots of questions & we'll try & help.

Have a read of my post on 19/12/15 in the Inspiring Stories section - that will give you my background.

We tend to hang out on the Bone mets thread regardless of which mets we have but there is lots of support & advice on here wherever you look. Yes we are incurable but there are a lot of treatments to be tried; be kind to yourselves.

Love Helen xx

cazza36

Hi Sarah, I was diagnosed with secondaries in my liver (today - well its after midnight - so yesterday now i guess). i think its not quite sunk in yet - im just doing practical coping things right now (who to call, ordering new headscarves etc). I obv cant answer any questions about length of time etc as ive no clue myself - but i can tell you what my oncologist told me: It's incurable BUT you are not dying. there are many different treatment options and if one doesnt work they try another. there are so many things available. her plan for me is: 3 cycles of paclitaxel chemo, then scan to see if it has worked, then if it has 3 more cycles - then hopefully return to work. so obviously she thinks i have time.
hope this helps
(((hugs))) from one newbie to another x

redridinghood

sarahmummy,

I am no expert but don't panic yet. People can live many years with secondary. My primary was 14 years ago. Secondary in bones and skin (chest near mastectomy scar) and lung spots dx in Nov 14. My lung spots vanished after 3 months on letrozole. I have denosumab to strengthen my bones every month, an injection. I say all this so you have a picture. We are all so different! But.........you can learn a lot on these threads from ladies who know so much. And.........they SHARE what they know, and support us all.

I have a skin met that has developed a bit so looking for radiotherapy maybe, or a change from letrozole. Seeing onc on 26th. He brought forward my March appointment. I say that so that you don'dt hesitate to contact your 'team' if you have a concern. I think that is the way it goes for most of us...........ups and downs, and changes in control. There is a skin thread........'metastatic breast cancer with cutaneous mets'.........where they are very welcoming and informed. I visit there and the bone thread. I browse around too. It would all be so interesting if I wasn't standing knee deep myself!

No, you aren't dead yet! You dont say whether you are starting any new treatments but your onc should tell you where you are going now. For now my advice is to browse the threads, ask what you like (as you have here!) and  use the helpline.........0808 800 6000. The nurses there are so knowledgable, patient and informative. They are up to date.

Take care for now and just press on. I know about bad days. It was a shock for me too, for us all. After a life of total good health and fitness......just lucky.......it was hard to believe. But there are many treatments out there. Sorry I am wandering on! But you have done the right thing to get out onto these threads. We are here for each other. Hugs to your little ones from a stranger! I am older than you......68..... but want to keep going for my little 4 year old princess. She dresses up as Elsa all the time!

mo

Sarahmummy

diagnosed on 6th january with secondary breast cancer - not sure how to feel

Hello,

I don't now what to feel or think, not sure if has sunk in.  I was first diagnosed with triple negative cancer to the right breast in december 13. treatment finished december 14 and then it came back in the skin in feb 15. finsihed full treatment again (chemo, op and radio) on 29th december and I know its back again and was told i have two spots on my lung, on skin again and in right armpit.  I have been told its incurable. I hope you don't mind me writing to you if you are reading this (thankyou) but what does it mean for me, will I die soon ....or can you have secondary cancer for years. I don't know anyting about it yet. I have two kids and the youngest is 7 and I am devasteted for them xxx how do you cope? many thanks for reading this xxxx