1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diagnosed today

84 REPLIES 84

Re: diagnosed today

Thankyou patricia, that sounds reassuring, i was told i will definatley get my surgery date when i see my surgeon on the 19th, fingers crossed i dont have to long a wait, i have no idea if its a teaching hospital, im going to the churchill hospital in oxford, i am so pleased you are through this experiance and fighting fit, it can be very daunting at the start, but hearing other peoples storys, shows there is light at the end of the tunnel xx

Hi Debbie

i just looked back on your thread and can see we had a similar diagnosis and circumstances.  I am now 5 months past active treatment and feel fighting fit.  I found my NHS hospital met all the guidelines, I.e. 31days etc. and treated me with the utmost respect and compassion, swiftly and compassionately.  Good luck and enjoy your holiday. Xxx

Hi Debbie

Sounds like CarolM has had a different experience. If your hospital has 5 surgeons it sounds like you could be in a large teaching hospital.  To be honest, I don't think the BCN would have said it won't be a problem if she thought it would be ok,  in general NHS hospitals don't mess around with the breast cancer pathway unless they have to.  Personally I sat at my surgeons desk and chose the date I wanted around my holiday, and booked it there and then. Give them a ring for assurance Xxxx

Hi Debbie
Please don't rely on the guidelines for dates. They have been well exceeded for me due to lack of capacity in the hospital.

Thankyou Anne, i have told my bc nurse and she has raken my holiday dates and she said , that she cant see it being a problem , there is five surgeons , and although i have been given a surgeon, they will check all surgeons lists as they work as a team, so hopefully i will have surgery well before my hoilday, and hopefully i can come back to results and find my folling treatment, we booked a villa for a family holiday and i want to keep it going for my kids and grandkids we planned it for over a year, so it would be heartbreaking if we couldnt go know, even if my hubby has to drive us we will get there lol xx 

Thankyou Anne, i have told my bc nurse and she has raken my holiday dates and she said , that she cant see it being a problem , there is five surgeons , and although i have been given a surgeon, they will check all surgeons lists as they work as a team, so hopefully i will have surgery well before my hoilday, and hopefully i can come back to results and find my folling treatment, we booked a villa for a family holiday and i want to keep it going for my kids and grandkids we planned it for over a year, so it would be heartbreaking if we couldnt go know, even if my hubby has to drive us we will get there lol xx 

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Debbie, sorry you find yourself here . As was stated, there are guidelines for treatment in order to provide a gold standard to work to. Hospitals also need time to make tests and evaluate results in order to design a pathway for you. This is not a matter of days, but rather weeks. I had a similar cancer to you and was allowed to take my holiday, in fact encouraged, in order to build me up for what was to come. I had a month away, and no, the cancer had not grown, nor had it spread. Talk to the team, make them aware of you plans and see what they advise. In the meantime , be kind to yourself, and all the very best. X

Thankyou Ann,  its nice to read other peoples stories and to know your not the only one feeling these emotions, i went back to work today, after finding out, it was a tough and emotional day, and im glad to be home, my colleagues i want to know, now know, and ive told them i just want to be treated normal, carry on as we did, coz thats what i need, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, coz hopefully i will go in feeling a bit more normal, and i know have the support from my work colleagues if i should need it,  i feel the tough road for me is next two weeks untill i see surgeon, you go into work all strong and then ten minutes later im fighting the tears, , my colleagues that know, were fantastic, if i wanted to talk we talked, and they knew when i didnt, so heres to a good day tomorrow xx

Hi debbie,
Welcome to the forum, although, obviously you would rather not be here. Yes, the same thing happened to me, recalled from mammo, invasive ductal grade 2 bc, now through treatment & back to life as normal.
The hormone receptors refer to whether the bc is uses oestrogen to grow, most of us are er+ ie our bc is stimulated to grow by oestrogen.
Do speak to the team about your holiday, there are quite a few ladies on here who have continued with holiday plans. It's not the law, but NICE guidelines which gives timescales that treatment should be started by.
This stage is always such a shock, so what you're feeling is quite normal, but please be reassured that treatment is very good now. There are loads of us here going through what you are now, as well as further down the road, out the other side & getting on with life.
Do look at the main site for any info you need & avoid general googling as it only feeds anxiety.
Do come here & chat whenever you need to & there is also the helpline at the top of the page.
hugs
ann x

All the very best for tuesday xx

Hi all, ive been reading this thread over the last week, with great anxiety and alot of other emotions, i went for a routine mamagram, and got called back tuesday, had further puctures taken, i then had untra sound scan, and then i beleive it was a core vacumn biobsy, i went back friday to be told, i have grade 2 invasive ductal cancer. They dont have all my results in yet from biobsy, i dont know what the receptors are. I am seeing the surgeon on the 19th of may and they said i should have the rest of results then and date for removal. I am totally shocked, how your life can be so up turned in a week. I am due to go on holiday july the first and i booked it over a year ago, im now worring i wont be able to fly, im told thst once i see surgeon they have to operate by law within 31 days, so that takes me to 19th of june, do you think its possible i can fly or will i need to cancle holiday, appologies for the long post.

Many thanks for reading

Debbie 

hi all,

Well biopsy results Tuesday cant come soon enough - been doing ok till this weekend when must think and nurses suggested i prepare questions to ask them on Tuesday - any thought on this woudl be grateful?  also do i go on own, with friend who is razor sharp and experience cancer herself or do I go with husband? experienced peeps before me any thoughts? 

Hi Denise - can't add much else to what everyone else has said but just sending good wishes - if it's any consolation my radiologist also said to be it was BC when I had the USS and biopsy did confirm it. She also said my lymph nodes looked normal on scan and they were (tested after my mastectomy). I'm 3 months post mastectomy now, no radiotherapy or chemotherapy required and take Tamoxifen daily. I feel ok physically, back at work.... mentally may take a little longer but I know that's normal. It does get easier.

Re: getting increasingly frightened.....?

Hi Denise

just want to endorse what everyone else has said.  Just also want to say (if it is confirmed for you) BC is very complex.  My experience is the general populations I,e, our friends and family don't really understand BC, only your team know how to treat you.  I had members of my family saying the most ridiculous things to me it was not their fault, the advancement in diagnosis and treatment is not well known.

Looking back on my diagnosis and how my medical team dealt with me I can see they knew what they were dealing with from day one, and for me I did trust them.  That's  easy for me to say six months down the line.  Hope you can have a peaceful day.  Xxx

Densie

As ann said there is a lot of misinformation out there on the web, concentrate on what is on here or MacMillans once you know what you are dealing with.  You need to take one step at a time mate, small milstones and your first one is 9th May.  Lets see what they say from there, we will be with you all the way, virtually holding your hand.

Helena xxx

AnnieJ I should have also said will be thinking of you Thursday and wishing lots of good thoughts for the party xxxxx IMG_0042.JPG

Hi there and thanks - to be honest the questioning started from a really good friend who had good intent but understandably didnt think before she said something - and questioned myself on positivity.....I do feellucky in a way that they onto whatever is in there....thanks again xx

thank you - no there is absolutely nothing patient about being patient 🙂 and the diary is a brilliant idea , will do - thanks for keeping in touch and your party sounds mega !!! xxxx 

hi Denise,
Please ignore the horrid stories & apart from this site or macmillan, google is best avoided at this stage. Do call the helpline above if you need to talk things through.
This stage is a shock, but it has been picked up & will now be dealt with, so try not to panic.
BC outomes are now some of the best around, so there is every reason to be positive.
My bc was detected by routine mammo, now out the other side & life back to normal, apart from posting here of course!
ann x
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Denise, I'm here, pet. Yes, it's  really scary playing the waiting game. There's nothing patient about being patient, is there? It took 12 days to get my results back, I had biopsies done on the breast and lymph nodes at my one-stop-shop. I went in with a lump, and three hours later I had an appointment to see a consultant having been told it could be cancer. They can't  say for sure until the path results are back, so at the moment it's a 50% chance for you that it isn't. So you need to play the waiting game, because after the results come back there is a meeting to plan a treatment pathway(s) for you. That's another week. So, what you do is keep yourself busy. Doesn't matter how trivial it is, just take a deep breath, know there are 1000's out there like you, and hang in. I know the nights are the worst. The gloomy goblins come out, but you can talk to us here, you can phone the nurses here, and you can start a diary of your journey. Write down how you feel, and what you want to happen, and to do, and what you WILL do when this journey is over. 

My journey is continuing. My tumour is out, all my tests are done, and I'm starting chemo Thursday. When it's finished I'm having the biggest Cick the Crap out of Cancer party on gods green earth. BC is so very very treatable, and if that is what you've got , then I'll help you plan your CCC party too. 🎉🍷🍾🎁🍰. The very best wishes for a good outcome. X

Hi there and thank you Donna xx will try big hug to all out there IMG_0042.JPG

Hi Denise,

Sorry you find yourself here, but as the others ladies have said, you will find so much support. Please try and take one step at a time, it can feel like time is going slowly at first, but everyone involved in your care is gathering information via your tests and scans to enable them to make the right decisions about your treatment.

Be gentle on yourself.

Sending you a hug,

Donna.x

thank you xx some people outside of the forum have erred towards some horrid stories and you are right the time between one thing and other is soo long.  They said that it would be 4-6 weeks before an op and thats after next Tuesday 9th..... so from routine mammo to op will be almost 3 months..... makes mesuper nervous and I want to try to move to closer my home too - currently a two hour round trip instead of 30mins round trip.......any thoughts? xx

Densie

Know what you mean and in some ways that is also our coping mechanism so that we are not surprised when we get the results.

IF it is breast cancer then it is treatable and that is something to keep hold of as well, these days treatment for bc is extremely good.  I was diagnosed in Sept last year as a result of a routine mammo, had my op in October followed by radiotherapy which finished in Jan this year and I am now on tamoxifen for 5 years, BUT, I am through it and back to my normal life again, which at times you never think is going to happen, so take hold of that and the many stories on here of all the lovely ladies who have been through the same.

Helena xx

Thank you Helena - massive hugs, its so so so good to have us all on this forum - I think its just the consultant radiologist seemed so so so sure that I have resigned myself that it is and maybe that not a bad thing - trying to work and distract at same time xxx

Densie

Hi just seen your post, everything you are feeling is absolutely natural it is the anxiety monster taking over, as Jill has said, try to distract yourself as best you can. 

Keep in mind that it could still turn out to be something other than breast cancer, there are a lot of other breast conditions it can be, but the trouble is this period between biopsy and results is the worst because your imagination and anxiety can run riot with you, every little ache and you think it is something worse, we have all been there and can totally empathise with you.

Sending you a hug and remember there will always be someone on here that you can talk to, also there is the helpline which is open 24/7 and there are some lovely reassuring people on there.

Helena xx

Hi AnniJ are you out there?  Getting really firghtened and only been 3 days since told and still another 9 days before find anything out definitely!  They checked my lyphs to check nothing spread but am petrified - I think the lump itself is there, its pretty close to the lymph area and I am sure you know what its like but am just getting increasingly anxious on this.....any tips would be lovely or anyone out there thats been through this please get in touch xx

Hi there, thank you for getting in touch - I had a routine mammograme 3 weeks ago and then called back for another today, ultrasound and biopsies - she seems really sure it needs to get out .....will definitely be back and thanks for welcome xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you so much for touching base with me - just popped back in to see if anyone out there and you are!! its just the consultant radiologist was just so super sure that I have accepted I have breast cancer but as you say nothing fixed yet and not know even type etc - thank you and will come back xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Denise, welcome to the warrior club. Waiting is the hard bit, once you get your pathology results and a plan you will feel much more in control. In the meanwhile feel free to laugh in disbelief, cry in sadness and scream in outrage. We've all been there. Ask any questions you need the answer to, and be good to yourself .

Was your Mr. Lumpy discovered at a one stop shop or a mammogram? You mentioned the Drs. experience?

Sending a hug. X

Hi Den,  

This is the worst time, the uncertainty is worse than an actual diagnosis I can promise you! was it a recall from a routine mammogram ? Just trying to take things one day at a time and not letting your mind run 🏃 away with its self is the key, focus on getting your results so you know for certain what you are dealing with and try not to think about too much beyond that as it's all speculation at this point and it's hard for your brain to deal with, facts it can do! I was diagnosed two years ago and will never forget those early days but you get through it and life gets back to normal,  you will find so much help and support here and an answer to any question you have , please let us know how you get on Xx Jo 

Hi, i am new to forum just today - this morning met with consultant whose experience told her i had breast cancer - not sure how i feel but do definitely feel lucky that they found that small pea like alien in my left breast - i would never have noticed it and as Dr said the GP would nt either BUt outside of feeling lucky, I dont think the whole series of events coming up is dawning on me yet other than really feel like i have to get my house in order workwise and suppose just looking forward to getting rid of the damn thing....any advice welcome - had biopsies and getting results on teh 9th

Den xx

Leekim

That is a totally natural reaction you are taking in a lot of scary information and the anxiety monster takes over then rationality goes out the window BUT as you say you will fight it and you will get through it honest especially with the help of your wonderful family and friends, oh and not forgetting us lot on here, we will help and support you as well.

Helena xx

Hi Leekim
Am sure we'll have lots of up and down days, glad you've got lots of support. I also have a fantastic family who will be there every step of the way xx

Hi bellah, I was told yesterday and was great with news! Woke this morning feeling that I was going to die. I have such a lovely family and friends network who are all behind me so tonight I'm ready to fight this . Hopefully we can get this sorted out and get back to living

daft days are quite normal, flyingarcher, when the anxiety monster bites! I remember it well....!
The early days are a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.
ann x

Hi Flyingarcher
Sorry you're having a bad day.Only diagnosed on Tues myself so feel exactly as you do. Going through the motions but my over riding thought is I have breast cancer. Have also had lots of aches and pains that weren't there before Tues, so how we're feeling must be part of the whole horrible thing. Hopefully will settle down as we go through treatment. Am sending you a big hug. Am sure ladies who are further along will be able to reassure you better xx

Hi.  Having a wobbly day today despite having three days at work and feeling ok although I was absolutely knackered yesterday.  I'm quite proud of surviving the mammo biopsies on Tuesday.  An hour and a half and six biopsies being taken on both sides.  Perhaps it is delayed reaction perhaps to that.  I know I am being daft but the right side (cancer is in right nork) of my face suddenly seems very itchy and a mole (do I usually have a mole there?  Has it always been there?  I can't actually remember because my hair covers it ) seems redder than usual ao my mind is going all over the place.  I know it is daft and actually I think I might be having a reaction to my face cream.  Someone tell me I'm being daft.  Honestly, yesterday I was cool, calm, collected and making jokes.   Now I'm having adrenalin surges and feeling twitchy.  Grrrrrrrr.

Thank you Helena xx

bellah

This is absolutely natural, you are dealing with the shock of the diagnosis and fear of the unknown, but as you say you will get through this and out the other side, we all know what you are going through and will be here to help and support xxx

Sending you a hug

Helena  xx

Hi all,

Thanks for flagging these posts. They have now been removed.

Best wishes,

Bonita

Hi Clare,
Lovely to hear from you. It's still so raw at the moment, sure it is for you, I can be doing something normal and the fear just hits me. Spent the first two days crying, but today has been better. Although feel pretty wobbly again tonight. Will be thinking of you too. This site is so comforting, to hear all the other brave ladies makes me feel that although I'm absolutely terrified I can get through xx

Hi Bellah, I been thinking of you since I let a message the other day. With us both being told the same day and what the next steps are for each of us. Like me I'm sure you feel the same still have hit me I'm on autopilot. All us ladies are amazing and the support you all give everyone is brilliant even know we don't know each other. Hope it goes ok tomorrow x

Absolutely. Xxx

Thanks for that feelthefear, it's best reported & then ignored, I think!

ann x

I think coming onto a cancer forum and telling soemone that they have a self destructive ego is extremely negative and very unkind. Maybe people should practice what they preach. In the meantime, I will report the private message I received. The name is different, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Thanks for doing that, Optimissy

Take care all.

ann x

Ladybowler - we were writing the same at exactly the same time!!!!!

Ann-m:   She seems to be posting all over the place now so have asked the mods if they can remove her "membership" altogether.

feelthefear

It might be worth reporting it to the moderators.  This person is posting all over the site but we are reporting it as inappropriate content each time.  They are just preying on peoples anxieties.

xxx