327848posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diagnosed yesterday grade3

49 REPLIES 49

Re: diagnosed yesterday grade3

I had Grade 3- 23mm so had a lumpectomy , only one node and that was negative.  Have just had the first chemotherapy and herceptin and trying to cope with a couple of side effects!   Have my wig and when my

son saw it he said I didn`t know you had a cat, Mum!   Saw the doctor this morning as I had a rotten rash on the other boob which has turned out to be thrush.   I think this boob is jealous of all the attention the

other one is getting!   Finding eh forum and uplifting experience.   One thends to think when first getting

the news that your the only one!!  Big wake up call.  Hope all you ladies are okay and coping too.

Take care.  xxx

Highlighted

Hi, I have just read your thread that I have been searching the forum for......I was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive breast cancer with node involvement in jan 2014. My treatment plan was chemo first and surgery followed by radiotherapy. I have just completed the chemo and today had MRI scan for surgery mx on 6th August. The oncologist informed me I have responded well to the chemo.

I have felt terribly anxious and very negative about my prognosis....a very lonely journey! Your thread uplifted me and has given me new hope...thank you GLB38 x

Hi floor, just wondering how you are doing? Take care hbunny

Hi shelly. Sorry to hear your dx.  I've just popped over from the chemo july thread having had first session today (and feeling well so far).  I remember being where you are at the end of May and the endless waiting is certainly worse than the treatment.  I had a wle as well with 1 of 4 nodes infected, tripple negative so aggressive chemo is now underway.  Just wanted to say that as soon as those results are in you will have a plan to focus on and can then make plans.  

It is doable just be kind to yourself and remember to do as many of the exercises as you can.  I did find swimming and yoga 2 weeks after the op really helped with flexibility and a lymph cord which was starting to develop.

Good luck with your results and on your journey to follow.

Sending gentle hugs. Hbunny

Hello again ladies well the MRI of the rest of my breasts was clear so 2 days ago I had lumpectomy and SNB. Feel ok - a bit sore but nothing major. Next lot of results next Friday when they tell me if it has gone to the nodes. Really anxious about this but the BC nurse assured me as did my friend who is an oncology nurse that it often does go to the nodes and that is what the chemo is for. I have to have chemo anyway because of my age (50) and it being grade 3. I hope all of you lovely ladies are ok. Xxxx

I was diagnosed in dec last year had masectomy chemo and now rads. You made me feel better . I am so worried mine was 22 mm grade3 ductal cancer . The grade 3 really scares me for reaccurrance.

Love it just how we all feel hugsxxxx

Hi I know what you mean I cannot switch off trying to keep busy was going out with my 2daughters and new baby today but cancelled grandson got measles so hope to go out Monday if not raing 2days before my op ,the waiting is the worst I was in hospital for 3hours yesterday having my pre op tests a lot of people waiting for different test but all is well strong heart bp up a bit took lots of bloods they said I was fit well I do do 20lenthes swim every week but on hold till September hugs to you and other ladies xxxxxx
Jo1

Hi Shelley,

I felt exactly as you feel, and had a mastectomy last Thursday. I had thought very carefully about it and was very calm and certain about it and had the full support of my husband. I'd had 3 WLEs last time, on the other breast, but knew nothing about mastectomy - apart from the obvious! It all went extremely well, I've felt fine since my op, just very tired, and I'm looking forward to the next part of this journey. I don't yet know whether or not I will need chemo or rads, but will face those if and when; I'm on hormone treatment since a month before my op.

I wish you all the very best for Friday's results, when you will know just what you face, and hope that you'll have whatever op you decide on. Love and very gently hugs! Jo x

Hi hbunny and other ladies on this thread. I go back this Friday for results of MRI and hopefully plan for surgery. If there is any doubt about anything else suspicious in either breasts I want a mastectomy as I cannot carry on knowing that the bugger is inside me and growing. It is impossible to not think about it all the time. Trying to carry on working as normal but patients are really starting to get to me now with their sore throats etc!

Hi flori, will be thinking of you on thursday, good luck and best wishes.  Let me know how you are when you are ready, im sure you will feel much better after thursday. Take care of you and be kind to yourself.  Hbunny xx

Thanks for your very uplifting post.  I am further down the line but your post has boosted me no end.

Hi hbunny - I hope all goes well at your oncology meeting on Thursday. I'll be under anaesthetic then while they have another attempt at getting rid of the darned mutants so won't be on the Forum for two or three days.

Shelly - I know just what you mean about knowing it's there and growing - the fear can be quite overwhelming. I try to drown out the thoughts with music but sometimes it's just not possible. At times I'm next to useless at work, particularly when there's so many other things going on, it makes it all harder to deal with. Good luck with your MRI results.

XXX to all.

Sorry shelly, obviously meant mri! Doh

Hi shelly. I know what you mean, its always the dreaded waiting, so much easier to cope with when something is happening.  You will feel much more positive when th little **** has gone and you can concentrate on the next stage of making sure it doesnt come back.

How long have you got to wait for the ct results, will keep everything crossed for you.  Take care and sending positive thoughts. Hbunny xx

Hi hbunny and all you other ladies I had my MRI today and it made it all seem so real. Tried to listen to my commodores CD but all I could hear was clanking and bleeping! Just hope the rest of my boobs are ok then surgeon can get on with lumpectomy. Hate knowing the the bugger is in there and growing. Just want it out. Saw another patient today that had a 5cm grade 3 in 1999 and that was before all the latest treatment. Made me feel more positive x

It's 6am and I've been looking for my 'off switch' for several hours!

Thanks for the poem Flo... made me smile. Smiley Happy x

Hi Flo, thank you so much for sharing your poem, it really struck a chord, which i had some creativity but not blessed.  Trying not to think too much today just blocking it out. However have now got a day for oncology appt 19th june, so another week to suffer, actually thinking of doing this as a private consultation to bring it forward.  More meditation needed!

Hope you are doing well flo. Love to you. Hbunny xx

I hope you had a better day today hbunny. And I hope things went well for you Jo, with your appointment.

The dreaded waiting. I don't know if you've seen the poetry thread from a while back. I posted a poem that I wrote during a time when I was a bit down and couldn't sleep and I kept thinking, if only we had an off switch so I could get some respite - and that was in my pre-cancer days. I need it even more now. I think it may strike a cord with you all:

Where’s the off switch?

Find a switch to turn off my brain

Before it drives me more insane.

A flaw I think in evolution

So tweak a gene and find a solution.

If there’s a God he didn’t plan

For one like me when creating man.

The off switch, which he sadly omitted

Draws me close to being committed.

If there’s a God what did he do?

He really didn’t think it through.

Perhaps a prototype he had in sight

And after me he’d get it right.

A manual override he should have inserted

Then all this torment he could have averted.

But then, I don’t believe in Him.

So to allocate blame – where to begin?

Sleep deprivation, I should say,

Led me to this right of way.

Not a path I’d choose to take

But was no choice that I could make.

Another night and still awake

Driving me mad, for pity’s sake

Let me sleep, or in the morning

I’ll be fit for nowt but just for yawning!

Only during troubled times

Does poetry then spring to mind.

At the edge of sanity creativeness

Keeps me awake and adds to stress.

I think the rhyme is running out

Just as well or I might shout

And ball and scream and throw a tantrum

Just from sheer exasperation.

I hope my reference to being a non-believer doesn't offend anyone. Love and hugs to all.

Flo

X

Good luck jo and thanks for your reply.  I will be thinking of you today. Hbunny

Hi Jo, I just wanted to wish you good luck for your appointment today xx

Jo1

Good morning everybody,

Like Shelley, I had an MRI scan as my lobular cancer didn't show on other scans - often a feature of this sly type, I understand. Today's I have my appointment with the surgeon to discuss what will be done in my op tomorrow - unless there's another tumour hiding away, something he said might happen.

Hugs to you all and good luck. Jo x

Sorry shelly for the obvious mistake, its the kindle (cant see whats gone before). Best wishes

Hi florie and sandie

Thank you both for your replies, that makes me feel much better. Think the waiting again is starting to get to me!  Love to you both on this horrid journey, hopefully will feel better tomorrow and heres to a good nights kip for us all.  Xx hbunny

Hi hbunny - I only had an MRI scan initially to decide whether a lumpectomy or mastectomy was the best course of action, even though I had a very swollen lymph node which was my first indication of a problem. After that I didn't have any other scans, despite being grade 3, 5 affected lymph nodes - one with extra nodal extension, lymphovascular invasion and being triple negative.

I think different NHS trusts just do things differently. I know someone in a different area who had various scans even though she wasn't as high risk for recurrence as me.

X

Hi hbunny
I hope that my answer to sandie may help. I am having an MRI scan because my lump doesn't show up on mammogram so he wants to check that the rest of the breast is clear. Usually scans are not done until after the op. They usually do them before chemo so that they have a good idea of what your organs etc look like before treatment. Lots of people show up cysts here and there and sometimes a fatty liver- all normal findings. Hope this helps xxxx

Hi sandie73
I have an MRI booked for this Thursday then back to surgeon next Friday to decide on surgery. If rest of breasts are clear he will do a lumpectomy . If anything else suspicious then rather than wait for more biopsies I would rather just have mastectomy. Problem was this lump doesn't show up on mammogram so he wants to be sure rest of breast is clear. Xxxx

Hi, sorry to highjack this thread but just wondered if anyone knows the way decisions are made re whether to do scans or not?  I have a ductal grade 3 triple neg with 1 nove and vascular involvement, but noone has ever suggested other scans might be needed, whats the criteria anyone know?  Thanks for the help tried calling my bc nurse but no response! And love to all   Hbunny xx

Hi Shelley1
It is lonely having breast cancer as even though you have the support of your friends/family. They may not ever had cancer so they will never truly know how terrifying it is.

That's why it's good to come on here as we are all going through the horrible nightmarish journey. When you are on here you don't feel so lonely as everyone is going through the same thing.

When I was first diagnosed my overwhelming feeling was GET IT OUT OF ME and had to wait 4 weeks for my op. That's was the longest 4 weeks of my life having to live each day with the knowledge that I had IT inside my chest and the worry what it may be doing inside me.

It's been removed now which is a big relief but unfortunately need more surgery to remove more tissue and a node clearance. Then chemo, rads and 5-10 years of tamoxifen. It's a small but aggressive cancer but due to my age they are throwing everything at it to ensure a cure for me Smiley Happy I have to seek comfort in the fact they are doing everything they can to get this sorted for me.

I am just grateful that I have found it early as if I didn't then it could have been a lot worse Smiley Sad

Have you got a date for your op? Mine was booked in after the results of the MRI came back.

All the best and remember you are not alone when you have this dreadful illness xxx

Hi sandie73
I think the worst thing for me was the feeling of being totally alone with this diagnosis. Despite the GPs and my other colleagues constantly giving me hugs I feel utterly alone with it. I am having an MRI on Thursday then back to the clinic. It's all the waiting. I just want the wretched thing gone!

Hi Shelley and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the shared support here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

You may find the following information and further support ideas from BCC helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi shelley1

Sorry to hear you have joined our horrible club.

Like you, I lived in dread in getting breast cancer and sadly it came true for me on April 14th. I have a grade 3 ductal cancer too. Thanks for sharing what you know about this dreadful disease as makes us realise that it does have fantastic survival rates. Been told by my BCN that BC is no longer the death sentence is used to be however it is still a frightening diagnosis to receive.

Wish you all the best in your treatment xx

Hi ladies I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with a grade 3 ductal cancer last week. I am a nurse practitioner in a GP surgery and have been dreading this all my adult life ( I am 50) the main thing that is keeping me going is seeing with my own eyes over the past 20 years the massive improvements in treatment for this disease. The survival rates of around 80% plus are including ladies like us with high grade tumours and are real. On Saturday one of my patients that I have known for years came over with a bottle of wine. She had a large grade 3 tumour with nodal involvement and was sitting in my garden 6 years later. One of my best friends is an oncology nurse consultant and she said to me that the norm for women aged 30-50 is a high grade cancer with nodes involved and all the statistics which now give fantastic survival rates include these. Hope this all helps. X

Hi,

I was going to say the same, my GP gave me some sleeping pills. I still tend to wake up in the middle of the night, but now i go back to sleep instead of just laying there with my mind racing.

I have the zopiclones too, they send me to sleep which is marvellous! :-)

Definitely dont want to be on this journey, want to get off the ride now its sucks!

xx

Hi Donna

Been for a very long walk in my area to try and tire myself out for tonight. Yeah think will need to get something from my g.p to help me sleep.

Think it's the thought of the impending chemotherapy that keeps me awake at night with the hair loss and side effects plus the morbid thoughts you get when cancer is involved!

Did you feel better when you started chemo and what is it like? To develop cancer is such a massive and terrifying shock. It's awful to think your own DNA could do this to you. Even after treatment has finished you still have to cope with the uncertainty whether it will come back. That's something I am really struggling with Smiley Sad xxxx

Hi Sandie

it is worth asking your GP for something to help you sleep......I take zopiclone........which doesn't knock me out but helps me relax and drift off to sleep.

Your appetite will return once you can focus........I didn't want to eat ...just sleep when I was first diagnosed.....its a tough time but honestly it does start to fall into place.....but allow yourself to feel like crap........we are all on a journey we don't want to be and we are used to taking out heal;th for granted....it's the sudden loss of control we all hate.

xxx Donna

Hi maltomlin 1

Thanks for your story of hope Smiley Happy you had the same grade cancer I have so good to hear that you are well and disease free after 6 years.

It's been really dreadful and the terror I am feeling is overwhelming Smiley Sad my life has been taken over by this dreadful disease. Hope I can get through this and have a disease-free life ahead of me xx

Thanks jbf57 for your tips to sleep better. I was sleeping ok up to a few days ago but the thoughts of chemo, further surgery and the horrible uncertainty of the future has affected my sleep now Smiley Sad

Think will try and get out of bed to go for a walk in the rain and adopt some mindfulness. Hopefully the walk might tire me out so can sleep a bit better tonight.

Will need to try and eat small meals to keep my strength up for chemo. I have lost so much weight these last couple of months. My stomach is nice and flat now.

We can't let this bloody cancer beat us but it's difficult when the fear grips you that much that you can't barely function.

Good luck with chemo on Wednesday, let me know how it goes. I am terrified of the unknown and chemo is the unknown. Going to see the oncologist on Tuesday to discuss the chemo in more detail. Think like you will be having chemo before further surgery.

Good luck xx

Hi Sandie

Sorry that you're struggling with the basics - sleeping and eating. I'm a bit ahead of you but can identify with what you're going through. Yesterday my picc line went in, ready for chemo on Wednesday.  I have struggled to eat and sleep since my diagnosis. I wake before 4.30am every day. However, I get up, have a cup of tea, try some cereal and then get on with things that need doing! By 6.45 am I'm out walking a minimum of 4 miles every day (usually do about 7), come rain or shine. I find taking excersise and setting myself goals helps a great deal.  I would start running again but my surgeon suggested sticking with walking until I get through chemo. I had surgery on 1 May and have been told I will require more following chemo. As to my appetite, its so difficult to enjoy food anymore, I eat to please my husband, children and friends.  But I do know that I need to eat in order to be strong enough to carry on with the treatment ahead. I eat very small meals throughout the day, so maybe you could try eating little and often and see if that helps. I try to have something every 1-2 hours, even if its only a cracker! Also, before I go to bed (around 11.30ish) I go for a walk and when I get back have a relaxing bath and drink herbal tea. And I never use the internet after 8pm! I've no idea if this is of any help to you, but perhaps give it a try.

Take care, with my best wishes to you

Janex

Thanks everyone. Not hardly slept these last few nights, keep having horrible thoughts of despair and that I am not going to get through this Smiley Sad

Has everyone else have problems sleeping and what can I do to sleep better? The lack of sleep and appetite is affecting me and I m still in bed at this time in the afternoon! Xx

It's the worst possible time for you........right now.

Wait until you have all the results and info available..........your onc will outline your treatment plan after gathering all the info. You'll feel much better then.

It's over 6 years since my dx, with a grade 3 tumour and 3 nodes involved..........had to have 24 nodes removed to check...........

It is a dreadful time......I planned my funeral.........thinking that 'this was it'..........but I'm here over 6 years later...........enjoying life..........different priorities (not a bad thing)...

You will get through this.............

Hi sandie so sorry to read how you're feeling ,you are going through the worst time at the moment waiting for results ,it's so scary and we have all been there on this horrible journey, as Donna rightly says you will feel better when you are given a plan of action and things move towards sorting this and beating it ,you can do this ,we are all here for you ,it's a really hard time but it will get better and you will move on ,keep your chin up and I've got everything crossed for your results today .take care love Jayne

Hi Donna

Going for my appointment this afternoon to discuss my results. The first WLE didn't achieve clear margins and the SNB came back positive for cancer. So need further surgery Smiley Sad

Today will be the case of deciding whether to have chemo first or the further surgery. Been beside myself this morning not been able to sleep and being in depths of despair. Don't want to be on this journey and don't know where I am going to find the strength to get through this ordeal.

Never been so terrified in my life and even after the treatment is finished I will be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

Have short periods where I cope quite well and then it hits me I have BC and I go back downhill Smiley Sad hope you are right and that I will feel better when there is a treatment plan in place.

Feel for everyone having to go through this nightmare! Xx

Morningladies

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I am just about to have my 5th chemo session..........

I would say some things ......

1. don't google.......your journey is yours and you will read all sorts and worry yourself sick for no benefit...believe me I did that and I'm a nurse

2. focus one day at a time

3. accept that you will feel the depths of despair on some days.......and just want to curl up and shut out the world

4. once you have your treatment plan you will feel more positive as you commence your journey to your cure

5. The lovely ladies on here will help and support you alongside your multidisciplinary team

6. don't suffer anything in silence....as soon as you have a side effct ask for help (i.e..heartburn, constipation etc)

7.Know that you can get through this ......your mind will make if far worse than the treatment is......there is no pian during the chemo...and side effects are managed immediately

8. take any help anyone offers.

I know atthe moment this all seems a horrible dream.....but you will all get through this xxxx For me the worst side effect was loosing my hair

Sending you all best wishes xxxx Donna

I am so sorry to both of you. I am up and down too. I'm waiting for staging, had chest xray and bloods. I have mri next week and full mysectomy on 3rd July. We have to fight! I have supported and charitied for cancer research all my life and so has my family so fingers crossed. Preying for you both that the outcome is good xx

Hi all 

As well as the support you are receiving here on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also, if you need additional support do give the helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information.  Lines are open 9-5pm weekdays and and 10-2pm Saturdays.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

So sorry to hear your news derkina.

I was diagnosed with BC on monday following mamograms and scans.... awaiting my biopsy results on tuesday to find out what type/grade. Two lumps were found. The consultant said that the larger one was definately sinister but waiting for the results of the biopsy to find out if the second one is too... in which case, my diagnosis could be very similar to yours.

It is terrifying... I had a major meltdown yesterday but feeling much calmer today. These things are very treatable these days.... just not very pleasant experiences to go through.

Hugs xx

A full mysectomy sorry...phone!

Hello, I was also diagnosed yesterday with grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma and had a chest X-ray and bloods. I'm pregnant with my first child as well and classed as 'young'. It's all very scary and confusing!

diagnosed yesterday grade3

I have been diagnosed yesterday with invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3 and pre invasive ductal carcinoma high grade both in left breast one upper inner and one lower inner quadrant. Been told a full is only option for me. Had chest xray and bloods and go back next week for mri scan..... It's the scariest thing ever and I have a one year old to consider.....