diagnosed yesterday

I was diagnosed yesterday with “invasive” breast cancer and was absolutely devastated - I have lumps in both breasts! I have been booked in for surgery on the 18th December. Left breast central wide local excision and reconstruction and right breast WLE with stereotactic wire and sentential lymph node biopsy on both!  I seem to be ok at the moment but am absolutely terrified of the surgery and the radiotherapy afterwards. I have had immense support from family and friends and especially my husband but still feel quite alone and vulnerable!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Lynnee xxx

Hi Lynee, welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will soon have lots of support from your fellow users. Our helpliners are also here for you weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support

You may find the following link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’’ section helpful, you will find lots of information and further support ideas:

breastcancercare.org.uk/category/cancer-journey/just-diagnosed-primary-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Lynnee

Welcome to the rollercoaster.  This is one of those times in life when you feel completely alone, but you will also see incredible kindness and feel loved too.  My treatment has been very different from what you have planned, so I can’t tell you much about your procedures.

When you have a chance ask your BCN to remind you what type of cancer you have.  There is lobular and ductal and both can be invasive.  I also didn’t hear that bit so was floundering around at first not sure what information was relevant for me.

The bcc leaflets are good.  I ordered the ones I though would be relevant and had a quick look at them, but then have gone back to the different ones to look at in more detail at each stage in treatment.  This forum has been brilliant too. I have just tried to focus on what treatment was coming next.  Once you start treatment you can’t really plan anything, they seem to change appointments and you hang around waiting a lot.  So you need to get Christmas sorted out quick!  I had 6 nodes taken out and found the underarm surgery more restricting when I first got home than the breast surgery.  For example I couldn’t really lift a kettle for the first couple of days.  With both arms being done you might need a bit of practical help.  Try to still have a giggle and keep your head free of BC when you can.  Let us know how it goes.  Sending hugs - but don’t squeeze!

Hi I was also diagnosed with invasive breast cancer two days ago following routine mammogram and two biopsy’s i was shocked how matter of fact i took the news i was okay until i told my children, well young adults rather than children.

i was unsure whether to tell them but they were already getting suspicious changes in my daily routine etc

not sure what to think,act or feel should have MRI next week :frowning:

ps so pleased this site is here

Hi Sans61

Welcome to the BCC forums, in addition to the support here our helpliners are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support so please feel free to call to talk your feelings/concerns over

Here’s a link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’’ section, you will find lots of information and further support ideas such as ‘Live chat’ and ‘one to one peer support’ which I hope you find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/category/cancer-journey/just-diagnosed-primary-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi

I had WLE and sentinel node biopsy on left breast.  i too was worried about the surgery, but apart from wooziness immediately after, I have been fine. I was just in for day surgery and was home in pjs at tea-time.   I have had no pain, have done the exercises, been out for walks.  Physically, there have been no problems.  it is just the waiting for the results.  my results were delayed for another week.  But luckily the cancer hasn’t spread.  I am still waiting for the treatment plan.  so another couple of days then I will know the next steps.

Good luck for your surgery.  Put yourself first and let yourself be looked after.  Take each step as it comes and deal with it all head on. 

xx Jane