21 REPLIES 21
JETS

Re: diagnosis grade 2 invasive breast cancer

Hi Lynne - just offering a bit of post op supportx hope you doing ok
Sarah
ThePianist

Hi Lynne

You must be post op by now? How's it going? Do you know the initial lymph node results yet?

Just a quick visit - off to rehearsal now. I have a hideous cold and feeling sorry for myself. Wow, that makes a change ........not.

Gill

loobylou111

Bless you Gill and thank you for sharing such common sense!! Its easy to get lost in all this s..t and lise direction. Happy New year to you too xx
ThePianist

Hi LoobyLou

I had a slightly different beast to yours but the feelings are the same. Blessings for your Mum and Dad, but breast cancer care has come a zillion light years since 1989 and many doctors will use the word 'cured' occasionally. I know there is no such thing because anyone could have anything, but every now and again I allowed myself to think that it could be over and that really could be all it is. That first day I felt that was amazing. It didn't last too long but I realised that I will not always feel in such despair.

I have finished all my treatment now and still haven't really 'got my head round it'. It was a quick journey for me! It's almost like it didn't happen to me. Weird feeling. 

My advice, not that I'm an expert, is:

If you REALLY don't want to hear an answer, don't ask the question - I'd ask something, they'd give me an answer and I would twist and contort it out of all shape into the worst case.

DO NOT READ STATISTICS! - What's this 'changes of survival' nonsense? Whoever thought that was a positive sentiment?! Anyway, statistics cover people from all walks of life. ie elderly and infirm, drug addicts, heavy smokers, obese, abusers, poor who can't feed themselves properly, children, people already unwell with other things. etc etc. So, as long as you take care of yourself your 'chances of......' are MASSIVELY improved. 

Plan a visitor for the day before test results. I've had a few of these days, and they are worse than everything else. The waiting is the bit the doctors can't help with so get a friend over and watch the 'Back to the Future' series from beginning to end and look for continuity errors, or better still, the entire Harry Potter series. OK, maybe that's going to far, but plan something.

I don't manage to follow these threads very well and I often can't find certain people as I don't have much time to go through everything. But I will be thinking of you - in fact everyone on here - and wishing all the best outcomes and better times in 2015. 

In between all this s***, don't forget to live!

Gill

loobylou111

Thank you mel for your words of encouragement.
This forum is great, im a novice to this type of thing.
Take care,
Lynne xx
loobylou111

Hi Sharon,
Thank you for your encouraging reply.
A challenging year ahead!
Love lynne xx
loobylou111

Hi judi,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
I have never used a forum before and it all feels a bit strange.
Im having my 2nd op on 21st Jan, having my boob off and like you lymph nodes tested. I will be on tender hooks until I know the lymph results!
Im overwhelmed by the amount of amazing ladies who write on here. Were certainly not alone!!!
Take care and god bless,
Love lynne xxx
loobylou111

Hiya,
Aww thank you for sharing your journey and I wish you all tge very best as you recover from your boob op.
Like you im having my boob off on 21st jan, all a bit daunting but be nice to wake up and know the cancer has gone. Also im having my lymph nodes checked out, but my lab report and my consultant think its highly unlikely (hope he is right)!! Like you I then will embark on 6mths of chemotherapy....great eh lol. This year is going to be a bit of a tough one for you and me and all the other dear people on here.
Its interesting that you mentioned that you are a self employed gardener as I work at a local garden centre!
Anyway better stop going on now,
All the best,
Lynne xx
keepmumsane

Hi loobylou,

These days are hard. You're up and down like a yoyo. 

I found a lump, was too busy to get it checked,  after going in to get tingling/burning checked in march. I had a mammagram and ultrasound on oct 31st. My ultrasound tech told me it wasnt a cyst,  but after a slightly horrified check on her behalf it wasnt in my lymph nodes. 

Anyway after all the biopsies an Xray and blood test I had a single mastectomy of my keft breast and they removed the sentinel nodes. Its very clever if you think about the science ( which I do, as it helps me stay logical and calm) 

Anyway im a month since surgery today,  not back to full arm strength. Im a self employed gardener, so its been a bit of a train wreck work wise.

My scar is healing well,  its not a terribly painful surgery,  mainly the arm as there is a nerve bundle under your armpit that gets a bit jangled.  But even thats ok.

I have known from the beginning I would have chemo as my lump was large.  I felt like tye princess and the pea.  The Pathology came back as a 5cm mass e+pr+ and her2+. Because of the her2 status,  I need chemo for due even though there is no obvious spread.  Her2 is a human growth reactive cancer that grows fast so my surgeon said it needs to be treated with herceptin,  which will target any teeny cells anywhere in my body. 

Bit of a ride, herceptin is licenced for use with chemo so am just wsiting out the healing time for my onvolgy appointment.  

Yesterday I lost it because my arm was too tired to measure where I wanted cup hooks in my pantry. So I had a shower and a nap. 

Its a sneaky thing this cancer stuff, my children are much better about it than the adults, they took my simple explaination and trusted it. Lump, surgery, chemo, fixed.  Possibly we should all go with that but some days its more of a drama than that.  🙂 

I reckon the health care people know what theyre doing so Im just doing what im told and only googling excessively at 2am. Lol

Much love,  really these boards are such a blessing,  xxxx

loobylou111

Hi sandie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my cry for help! My emotions are all over the place. Now decided to have a full mastectomy on the 21st jan, just want to get rid of all my breast tissue.
Can I ask what stage are you at with your cancer treatment?
Hugs n love xxx
loobylou111

Thank you all for your positive replies xxx
keepmumsane

Hi judi,  nope.but they rang me on thursday from the clinic to say I wasnt forgotten.  They count their days from when the surgeon signed me off,  22nd dec rather than 12th.

The nurse gave me lots of information,  drugs etc, time frame and a mobile number that is for waiting people.....a direct line instead of chasing them round the hospitals phone system.nice

Reckon I have another couple of weeks,  so maybe no chemo till february at this speed.

Healing well though, 😉

Just want to get on with it, although eyeing up my unfinished tasks. If I am careful with my arm might actually achieve some ! !Bonus

X

Sandie

ollisj6

Sandie have you seen the oncologist yet i had to ring up and pester i just want to get on with it going Monday aft i hate this waiting around hope you enjoyed your time away Love Judi xx
ollisj6

Hi loobylou i felt just the same back in November i couldnt believe it was happening but with the fantastic care from the surgeon mcmillan nurses and of course these lovely ladies on here i feel so much positive on 23rd Dec i had a lumpectomy/sentinel biopsy the waiting is the worst part my results were good and bad clear margins no lymph involvement but i am Her2 pos so i need chemo so thats the next step for me try and keep positive and you know we are always here for you. loave Judi xxxx
keepmumsane

Sending love, you're not alone. 

Xxx

We're all here too and we found each other. Its an appalling shock.  My surgeon said it is very treatable,  its very well funded. 

Talk to us, wail and stamp your feet... no need for a brave face as we understand.  Do read the humour boards,  but dont google the information, here is much better. And up to date

Hugs

Xx

Sandie

13gerbera

Hi Loobylou, sorry you've had to join us but as groups go, this one has some truly amazing and inspirational members 🙂

I'm also single and live alone and one of the things I learned in the month since I was diagnosed is that this is no time to cling on to our independent ways.  Friends WANT to help us, and lets face it we need the help at the moment so lean on people as much as you can and use this forum too to get support, advice or just to remind yourself you are not alone, we are all here to help you

x

Sharon

Chez666

Hi loobyloo, really sorry that you gp have had to join club, I was diagnosed on 3/12 with grade 3 invasive Ductal, lumpectomy and node removal on 5/1 so for me the first round is over and now waiting for results. The waiting is the worst bit so please be kind to yourself, try and do little normAl things and check this forum regularly as the support and love you get is awesome, nothing like it and everyone is really helpful. Cheryl x
Mel66

Hi loobyloo111
On 2nd June 2014, I was where you are now. Scared, outfaced by the journey ahead, confused, lost and generally head in a mush.

Fast forward to today and I have just put in my first week of part time hours leading me back into work, following mastectomy, reconstruction, lymph clearance and chemotherapy. I haven't yet reached the destination, but the roller coaster has levelled out and the journey has become much smoother. I have made some great friends and had fabulous support from the ladies on this forum. We've laughed and we've cried together, and we've held each other's hands along the way.

You will find your support in places you never expected. Friends will rise, unasked, to the challenge and you will get through it. You will find that angels exist in places you never imagined.... and before you know it, you will be looking back like me thinking "wow... that was a hellish bumpy ride but I'm through it".

Once the cycle of treatment starts it will all start to come more into perspective and you can focus on getting better. Meanwhile, you've come to the right place... all the ladies on here know exactly how you are feeling. Remember also that cancer treatments have come such a long way over recent years and the prognosis is really very good.

Hugs xx
gazzlyn

Hi Loobylou111,

I am so sorry that you have had such devastating news, it is such a difficult time but your not alone.  The people on this forum are fantastic and very supportive.  You can ask all the questions you want and someone will always come up with a positive whilst all you will be finding is negatives right now.  I am sure you will be scared especially losing your mum and dad with cancer "hugs", lean on those around you that you feel you can and tell them your fears.  I have amazing support but everyone keeps telling me how such a strong person I am and to be honest I just want to scream!!!  I am normally strong but this is so different and I feel like I am a utter mess somedays and have no strength at all.  Do you have someone who can come with you to all these appointments (they seem never ending!), I find having my daughter with me such a massive help and support.  All the questions we ask, my daughter writes down the answers and we discuss them later.  I pick out all the negatives and never hear any positives but she reminds me of them which really helps.

Keep in touch with people on here it really is a great help, and most importantly dont feel your alone

xxx

Boa

You'll find people here very supportive. I hope all goes well with your surgery. Waiting for that is difficult but I just took one day at a time. The chips aren't really down. Breast cancer is very treatable and you'll find things move on. I was diagnosed in July. Op in August and another to clear margins in September. Radiotherapy in November and I have an appointment on Monday with oncologist for checkup. Take care of yourself and keep posting.
Lucy_BCC

Hi loobylou111

Welcome to the BCC forums, here you will find support from your fellow users and also please feel free to call our helpliners for further support, lines are open 9-5'weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to further information and support ideas from BCC including our 'Live chat' which you may also find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

loobylou111

diagnosis grade 2 invasive breast cancer

Hi all,

First time I've ever used a forum.

Not sure how to feel? Saw dr today and told I have cancer. Having watched my mum n dad die of cancer (1979 n 1989) im pretty scared. I have to have a 2nd op on 21st Jan to remove more breast tissue n I have to have a few lymph nodes  removed for analysis. I live on my own n although I have a beautiful daughter to support me n friends I feel so alone. I have some christian faith but now the chips are down im feeling a bit lost. Anyone out there who feels similar? Thx for taking the time to read this post xxxSmiley Sad