different makes of anastrozole?

Hi, I was diagnosed with BC a year ago, had a mastectomy and radiotherapy and have now been on anastrozole for 10 months.

I’ve had the usual aches and pains and sweats but nothing too debilitating. However, this month - for the first time, I’ve been plagued by depression. I have to renew and collect a repeat prescripton each month from my GP, and I usually collect the pills either from the surgery’s pharmacy or my local chemist - they each supply slightly different brands but I guess it’s the same basic tablet of 1mg anastrozole. However, this last batch I picked up from Boots Chemist in the city - and a different brand yet again (this one is Accord Healthcare).

And this month I’ve been blissfully free of too many hot flushes, but oh, so down in the dumps and flat. Has anyone else found slightly different side effects from one batch to another? I don’t want to feel like this for too long.

I look forward to reading any replies - thanks,

love Cherry

Hi CherryH

I started Anastrozole a few months ago and although I’m on a 4 week vacation from them at the moment (due to some other side effects) I have only ever used the Accord brand.  I do get aches  but have been very fortunate not to get hot flushes. I have been very down in the dumps and flat since taking them but put that more down to everything I have been through in the last year. What other brands did you use that didn’t  make you feel low? I’m due to start taking them again in 4 weeks and would be interested to see if another brand didn’t make me feel so miserable.

I took sage when I went through my ‘real’ menopause, and it did help with the flushes and sweats. But you do need to be on it for a few weeks before you notice full results. I can’t now remember how long, but I’d been warned of this, so stuck with it. I think if I’d not been told this I’d have given up, so I pass this advice to you.

Jane

I’m 7 weeks post op and the hot flushes and pains are getting worse. My first packet of tablets was the Accord brand and the second is Sandoz. How have you found each of these brands, anyone had Sandoz or do the side effects get worse the longer you on anastrozole? Thanks everyone. PenguinB

Hi - found your post very interesting - I’m sure you’ve been told that they all come from the same recipe but like you I’ve found my body reacts differently to ‘other brands’ and I was beginning to wonder if it was my mind going !! I was on Nastrosa for two years after Anastrozoles license ran out and after I settled I loved it … Well that a bit of an exaggeration but you get what I mean. I’m sick of being told that they are ‘all the same’ but I’m sure you’ll agree that give six people the same ingredients for a Victoria Sponge they will all taste different . Nastrosa was brilliant, fiery flashes quickly abated and aches and pains were almost none existent  and mood swings much much less.  Fatigue was a big problem but with Nastrosa there wasnt a problem .

Still back to you which is why you posted in the first place - I think Chemists get the cheapest deal and if that means swopping about with distributers/manufactures they will do it and you and me will be the casualty - it all comes down to profit and shareholders you will be the last consideration . You could request from your regular Pharmacy that they keep to one specific brand . Good Luck Lazydaisy