different types

Hi i am going to have chemo but still have lots of q that i need to answer for my own mind some seem trivial perhaps silly but its just me. i have an overactive brain and keep thinking of things so please bare with me.

my questions are…
are their different types of breast cancer chemo?
are there also different strengths.
if so do they depend on age pre post menopausal etc and type or grades of cancer.
is it always four or six cycles.
sorry to be ignorant

have a good evening
Julie

Hi Julie,

As far as I know, yes there are different types of breast cancer chemo. ’ I know this because my cousin’s bc chemo treatment was different to mine. This did have something to do with our age difference (I’m in my 30’s and she’s in her 50’s). As far as I understand it the chemo I had was stronger because my age makes me a higher risk of recourrance. I think the cycles aren’t always the same either but I don’t know what the differences are.
I only recently found out that there are 5 different types of breast cancer - OMG!
I finished chemo/radio therpies in june 2007. I know I felt completely overwhelmed with information and totally out of control. I’ve taken alot of time out from everything to try and process this nightmare…not consciously …I really didn’t feel there was any other way. Looking back on that time I’m amazed at myself and how I managed to deal with everything.

Best of luck with your treatment and be good to yourself as much as you possibly can - lisa x

Hi jal7777

Breast Cancer Care have an information booklet on chemotherapy which will provide lots of the information you require. If you would like to read it just go to the following link:- breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/chemotherapy_07_web_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi Julie

As well as the information that Sam has pointed you to - the Cancer Research website has an excellent section on the various types of chemo used in breast cancer - as well as a section on the need for planning and what factors they take into account in deciding your treatment

There is a link to Cancer Research on the front page of the Breast Cancer Care website - under information - other websites

Hope this helps

margaret x

Hi thank you to you both at least i know where to look i will make a cuppa and do some research thanks again.
julie