do you have bone density scans?

I’ve been on Anastroxole for about 6 months and am suffering quite a bit with joint pains particularly in my feet, ankles and hips.When I stand my ankles often “click” and it takes a while to straighten up after I’ve been sitting.If it wasn’t for these pains I’d be feeling pretty well.Anyway my appt with the breast clinic was made for this November, a year since my surgery.I don’t get any calcium etc on prescription, I buy cod liver oil and glucosamine myself.I’ve made an appt to see my gp next week to see he could prescribe calcium and my daughter said I should ask about having a bone scan as I do worry about the state of my creaky click bones.Is a yearly check the norm after surgery and if you’re on hormone blockers? It just seems a long time with no one checking on how you’re doing? I don’t want to be precious about it and make a fuss if that’s the usual time and I don’t plan on stopping the anastroxole but I could do with some help for this joint pain.

Hello Treez - first of all, you’re not being precious or making a fuss! You holler away, it can be quite theraputic!

I’ve been on a’nasty’zole for 2 years, but right at the beginning in May 2015 had a DEXA bone density scan and would be having 2nd one 2 years later, ie. now (that’s another story - should have been going Thurs - it was cancelled today, arrghg) Still, where was I? Found to be osteopenic, so taking daily adcal d3 (calcium). Have been having awful back/hip pains, about to have an MRI. Also found I have osteoarthritis.

Bit surprised you didn’t have an automatic DEXA scan, first one was arranged by the onc. THis second one has to be requested by my doc.  Definately you need to see your doc. I know everywhere seems to have different policies, which can be frustrating.  I don’t have any check ups with hospital, should have annual visit to doc just for prescription renewal. Last year had to push to have a blood test, found I was neutropenic, but that hasn’t really affected me at all. Do think that if you don’t push, then no-one seems to offer anything. It is your health, and you need to look after yourself. Oh, I also now take 10mg amitriptyline at night to stop me waking up with joint pain, and it does give me a good nights sleep.  Take care. :catvery-happy:xxx

Treeze

I had a bone density test done in August last year, before I was even diagnosed with bc, because my mum and aunt have osteoporosis and I was advised to have one done. 

As part of my onc apt we were discussing my going on letrozole but when he saw my scan results, I have it in the spine, he changed me to tamoxifen as it was kinder on the joints.  When I saw my GP earlier this year she said ordinarily at my age, 58, a bone density test is done every 3 years, but she wants me to have one every 2 years because of my being on hormone blocking tablets.  I am due to see her next month to discuss vit D test.

Helena

Hi

I’m on letrozole and had a bone density scan a couple of months after starting the drug. This was done by my gp on my request. After a very unsatisfactory appointment with the oncologist, I went for a check up. This will then be repeated after 2 years. Must say my hips are quite achy at the moment but have found that some side effects pass, so let’s hope this one does too!

Sue xx

Hi Treeze. Do chase them up at the hospital for the Dexa scan. I had to chase, as they’d forgotten to book me in. I had 6 months on Anastrazole and after a great follow up with surgical team was taken off it due to side effects. I had a 5 week break (bliss!) and have now started Exmestane, as apparently less joint problems reported xx

My 2nd DEXA scan is due sometime soon, they are every 2 years and arranged by the oncology team. I haven’t had to do any chasing, they told me at my last appt a couple of weeks ago that they have requested it and I will get scan appt soon. But they only look at one part of the bone to assess it don’t they, in my case it’s my left hip, and that’s probably the one bit of me that doesn’t ache!

Personally I think I need to see a vet and get some of those oil type lubricant injections that they give to horses’ joints. My elbows and knees hurt all the time, I can hear my knees every step when go upstairs and I am now having to wear support strapping on both elbows, I’m falling to bits! 

J x

I rang my breast unit as I stupidly fell over badly last week and am bruised all over and my affected arm is now stuff and aching:( Was told I need to see gp about a bone scan so have an appt this week.Started rubbing olive oil into my joints…I’ll try anything!