376048posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does my delay for radiotherapy matter?

2 REPLIES 2
Gardenbabe

Re: does my delay for radiotherapy matter?

I'm concerned too - we've had a delay for my mum between her op (28th November) and the start of radiotherapy due to our circumstances (my Pap, Mum's dad died in January). When she rang the hospital to rearrange her appointment there was no issue or concern from the nurse. We went on Tuesday this week and the doctor was quite rude and dismissive about the delay and stated several times that the optimum time to start rads was 6-8 weeks after the op, we are at the end of week 10 I think. So they rushed her preparation appointment through and we went yesterday afternoon for her scanning etc. The date of her first radiotherapy is.................4th March? I'm really concerned about this bearing in mind what the doctor said on Tuesday - this will be 13 and a half weeks. But RevCat from your response it seems that this could be a 'normal' timescale? And of course it's another wait, wait, wait. Anyone experienced anything similar?
RevCat

Re: does my delay for radiotherapy matter?

Hi MarianneH

Waiting is such an anxious time isn't it, and our poor brains go into over-drive. The guidelines for starting radiotherapy are just that, guidelines. Lots of people have to wait longer for all sorts of reasons - perhaps a wound takes longer to heal or they struggle to get their arm into position; a few even ask to defer starting by a couple of weeks in order to fit in a holiday or special event. Where I live, the wait time is often 8-12 weeks due to the high numbers of people served by one hospital (it has something like twleve treatment rooms working flat out). I had to wait nine weeks for my rads to start but this was no cause for concern to any of the medical staff and the hopsital gets as good results as others with shorter wait times.

This tiny delay will not adversely affect your recovery so try not to worry too much. I hope your rads go smoothly and you are soon back to full health.
CherryH

does my delay for radiotherapy matter?

I start my radiotherapy treatment tomorrow - eight weeks after my mastectomy and removal of two lymph nodes (one with micromets), the other clear). Chemotherapy hasn't been offered as necessary but I'm on anastrozole for 5 years. The RT should have started sooner but there was a query as to whether to have more lymph nodes removed instead to be on some clinical trial. Chatting to my surgeon, we've opted for RT. However, this now means nearly two months has gone by .... is this detrimental to my hopefully safe recovery? Thanks! MarianneH