don't want to wake up bald after surgery!

I know it’s a stupid thing to worry about, but i really don’t want to wake up bald after surgery. Since i lost my hair i haven’t let anyone see me bald…not even my husband. I cant bear to look at it myself. Since my daughter walked in on me and burst into tears i made a point of not showing my head. What experience do ladies have of this? Can i wear my hat/ wig?..

Rachel01, you will not be able to wear wig in theatre I dont think.  You will have a theatre hat on so ask them to put your scarf or whatever you wear when you leave theatre.  They will do that for you.  Remember staff in this situation have seen it all and they will be very sensitive to you needs.  You will look beautiful no matter thought so remember that.  Best wishes

Thanks busyanne! x

Thanks NAZ. I knw how ridiculous its sounds with everything else we’ve been through! x

Hi when I went in for my surgery (mastectomy) and lymph clearance on way down to theatre I wore my sleep hat and when I woke up in recovery I had it back on. Because like you hated being bauld. During the day in hospital I wore scarfs and at night I wore my sleep caps. Found it too warm in hospital to wear my wig. Good luck xx

Thanks everyone. You’ve made me feel alot better. Was starting to feel as though i was being stupidly vain. Wishing u all luck on your journeys x

I went down to surgery wearing a hat and was able to keep it on when they put me under, I was wearing it when I came round too, I didnt specifically ask but they must have just assumed with me weating it to go down to theatre I would like it back on at the end.  :-)

Hi Rachel01

I was worrying about going down to theatre and if they would let me wear my wig just to get there. I hadn’t thought about afterwards. I think I may just put on a scarf and ask if they will put it back on afterwards. When is your surgery? I finished my chemo on 31st July and have surgery on Monday. I have my pre-op assessment this afternoon so will ask if they can suggest anything different and will let you know.

I have been very fortunate and both my husband and daughter have seen me bald infact my daughter shaved off my remaining hair for me. However I would not want my son to see me as I don’t think he would cope with it as he is finding it all hard to deal with. My son is 31 and my daughter is 30 the week after my surgery. How old is your daughter?

Best wishes

Hi SML1903! I am 33, my daughter is only 9 and I have a 10 year old son too. I have my pre op tomorrow and its on a long list of things to ask! My double mastectomy is on Wednesday 8th. I am beginning to get very nervous. I’ve never spent more than 1night away from the kids…this is gonna be hard. :-(.
Thanks Hawkie and Rosie too for your comments…you have made me feel reassured and more normal for worrying about it! xxx

Oh no SML1903 that all sounds like a complete nightmare. It doesn’t inspire confidence when they cant get the simple things right! Thanks for letting me knw, it will be great to have a head covering of any kind. Brilliant news…hope its the same where i am.
I knw it was hard for the kids. We have been as honest as possible given their ages but nothing could prepare them at their age.
Wishing you loads of luck for your op next week x

Rachel I was only in one night for my mx, came home with a drain but it was fine - very very little pain and I have 2 young boys who were 9 and 11 at the time, my eldest made me cups of tea and my youngest liked to measure the fluid in my drain bottle!  Lots of luck xx

Hi 

I had my operation on Monday and was allowed to keep my wig on. The nurse who took me down to theatre said she would tell the anaesthetist I was wearing a wig once I was under so didn’t even have to tell them and I still had it on when I came round in recovery plus my glasses were waiting for me. Couldn’t have wished for better.

I am now home and so far so good and have an appointment with my consultant this Friday to check my wounds. Next step will be radiotherapy if all path results are ok and I don’t need further surgery. 

Do hope Rachel that your surgery has gone well for you.