cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ductal breast cancer

42 REPLIES 42
lynda1955

Re: ductal breast cancer

Been to Pch to see surgeon today. He was pleased with healing and went through pathology results. Mamogram showed 3 cavernous areas but were actually 4 in in blood vessels but no spread to lymph nodes. Waiting now for oncology appointment.
lynda1955

Been away for a week and no internet. I spend a lot of time thinking why me but there again why all off you .

I think 75% of the time I'm on autopilot. My surgery went great and other than being sore I was coping. Then began last Saturday my stomach started to play up. Got to see my Dr Friday because I have been away and so gave me medication. My antidepressant and ibuprofen had reacted. Well more myself today and waiting for my appointment on Wednesday at PCH. Just want to make sure that they don't throw anything more at me.  12 years ago I had half my thyroid gland remove because of a large module which was becoming but after path report results I had to go back in and remainder of gland removed. Keeping everything crossed 

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Welshlady, I am identical to you. I had all my lymph nodes excised as 2/3 biopsied positive. The LN experience was and is far worse than the lumpectomy itself.

Feeling very down tonight as I process the information from my check up + results. Unfortunately, of the 15 LN removed, 7 showed signs of cancer. Bummer! I thought i wouldn't escape the chemo, but the reality has hit me hard. I'm very afraid of the treatment, although rationally I know this is how it is! 🤕

Clinging to the fact that there are a lot of lovely ladies on this forum who have been there, done that, and are helping us on. Bless you all.x

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Welshlady, my diagnosis is exactly the same! However, I had all my lymph nodes excised when the lumpectomy was done. Feel worse now, 2 weeks after, than I did 24 hours after. The underarm is, literally, the pits!!!! Plus side , it's done 🤕.  Wishing you good luck with your op. X

ladybowler
Community Champion

Soobee

I would say it is probably a combination of the whole thing hitting you and the after effects of the aneasthetic, it does stay in your system for a little time and it has probably knocked your system out of kilter,  you only had your op a couple of days ago, it will pass xxxx

SooBee

I haven't cried at all since they broke the news! Why am I feeling so emotional now? I've had the lumpectomy! It should be gone! Can I blame the anaesthetic? Or should I blame the brave face?

Jill1998
Community Champion

We should both ask for a refund Soobee,it's just not on,I didn't glow in the dark either !!Yes ,I'm afraid anxious waiting is the name of the game with cancer ...
SooBee

I too was disappointed that I didn't have colourful wee and poo! I was devastated that my boob didn't glow at night either. My scar currently looks like a shark bite. Two days down now and I'm feeling ok. No pain. Just discomfort. It's the waiting..... still haven't got a date for follow up appointment!

Jill1998
Community Champion

The waiting for things to happen is the pits and then there's always more waiting after that to find out what they've found .By the way it's usually your boob that goes blue and if you are really lucky you will have blue wee and green poo to cheer you up after the op !!!I felt cheated cos I didn't have the blue dye ,think I was radioactive enough !!!
LinRowan

Hi welshlady, I imagine it's second nature for you to try to be strong for your family, but I just want to say be kind to yourself and let your family be strong for you sometimes.

Looks like there's good support here for those moments when we can't/don't want to hold it all together.

LinRowan

Yes it's a lumpectomy and pilot lymph node biopsy. I got quite excited about having a blue radioactive armpit - it appealed to my warped sense of humour - but disappointed that I won't be able to hear them chasing my lymph nodes with a geigercounter.

Not sure what happens next, radio or chemo depends what they find I suppose. I suspect it's the hanging about that's getting to me. I just want this to be over with, but I know I'm not alone in that.

Jill1998
Community Champion

The anaesthetic is the bit that always scares me the most,when I had my op I talked absolute gibberish to the anaesthetist.R u having a lumpectomy ?
LinRowan

The op (or procedure as they insist on calling it - no idea what the difference is!) is on April 5th. Had the pre-opp assessment yesterday and that was a bit of a downer - the thought of the anaesthetic is actually scarier than the surgery, because I have type 1 diabetes and its all a bit of a balancing act.

I spent about an hour writing in my journal after posting here and it seems to have helped. Venting is good!

Thanks.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Lin ,welcome to the forum.I think it comes in waves you have calm times and then days when you are gripped by fear and it seems impossible to deal with .Lack of sleep doesn't help does it .Do you have a date for your op ?
LinRowan

I'm waiting to have what you just had, and I just want to thank you for your post. For the last few days I've been very calm and can-do, being grateful this thing has been caught early and feeling safe with the team of medics I've met so far. But this morning after a difficult evening and poor sleep I have been seething with rage and fear. Reading what you posted has made the procedure seem more manageable again.

Thanks.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Welshlady ,welcome to the forum ,it's very hard trying to hold it together and be strong for those around you when you are bloody scared isn't it !!Lots of people here who understand and who you can share your fears with .Jill.
welshlady66

Hi I had invasive ductal carcinoma 2.5 cm lump grade 2 had my operation on the 20th Feb it wasn't too bad, I was shocked when I saw the scar and bruising which was quite bad, it wasn't painfull but uncomfortable. The worse part was waiting two weeks for results, they had a good clear margin and the lump had gone which was a relief,unfortunately for me the two lymph nodes they took had residual tumor in them so having another operation this Monday coming to have the remaining lymph nodes taken out then it will be a waiting game again but hopefully then my treatment plan can be done , I have gone through every emotion going but now feel very numb and a bit frightened about what will happen next, I feel I have to be strong for my family but feel very different inside,hope what I have been through is helpful to anyone going through the same also I am stage 3 grade 2 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you got it over with ,yes the 2 week wait seems like an eternity .
SooBee

Well I survived my wire guided localisation and wide local excision! It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected and 24 hours in I'm not feeling too bad at all. Now comes the long two week wait for biopsy results.

The soft pillow tip was ace. I slept with it like cuddling a teddy bear and had a really good sleep!

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Soobee, just had my op last week. Little pillow is excellent tip for journey home. Don't forget front opening shirt and pull on pants, and shoes/ trainers you slip on. My nurse gave me a gift bag ( yes, really, a yellow one) to put my drain in. However , I'd already had tips from this site, so hubby brought in a little canvas bag with long handles. Able to tuck the drain into it and it didn't get in the way.

I was euphoric to be rid of Mr. Blobby, and much better than I ever imagined. Very manageable pain. Onwards and upwards, girl! X

SooBee

Thanks Michelle!

SooBee

Thanks for the tip!
Mumoftwo

Hi Soobee, when I had my injection the nurse said to expect it to feel a bit like a bee sting and it did and throbbed for a while afterwards.  Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Michelle xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Welcome Soobee,I think my boob was throbbing after injection too,bet you will be glad to get the ******* out after such a long wait .Remember to take slippers and dressing gown ,I had to walk down to surgery in my black Clarkes shoes and socks (looked v odd) and make sure you have a pillow for the return journey as seatbelt can go right across op site ,depending on which side is being operated on.Hope all goes to plan for you tomorrow and you don't have to wait too long .Let us know how you get on.Jill.
SooBee

Hope this is the correct place to contribute - my first time.

Following dodgy mammogram results on Jan 17th I'm at last having my lumpectomy tomorrow! I've just been to Nuclear Medicine and had my injection. The procedure was painless but now my breast is throbbing. Is that normal?

Very comforting to realise I'm not alone.

Anniej
Community Champion

Thanks, Optimissy64. Got rid of the drain yesterday, which took a bit of heavy breathing on my part and a bl**dy gigantic pull on nurses part to get it out. Didn't hurt, more of a slithery pull. How much of that fire hose do they actually stick in you? More pain today but I'm up and dressed and been out for coffee, so body is objecting a bit I suppose. Yes, doing simple exercises. Underarm is much more of a problem than boob. She appears to have whipped the nipple off and sort of apple cored my lump out, then crocheted the nipple back on. Only have a bit of sticking plaster across my nipple, plus a squashed boob. First time I've looked, to be honest. Underarm is a mess, though. If I didn't know better I'd think someone had tried to take my arm off altogether! Serves me right for looking 🤕.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Linda,glad it all went well .
lynda1955

Hi all

Not been on since I posted 1st and was surprised by all the responsce. Had my surgery and all went well and surprisingly feel ok except for being tired and discomfort with some arm movement. Had wire put in on Thursday followed by a mammogram, this was to help surgeon locate area to be removed. Was n't prepared for how big the incisions would be so that came as a bit of a shock and surgeo had said he would try and get nodes via 1 incision so was a bit disappointed to feel sore under my arm when I came round in recovery. Did my arm exerise this morning and not to painful. I will be sent an appointment for results on 4th April. I am going to take 3 to 4 weeks from work due to nature of my job which can invole lifting so would have to have lighter duties which could be difficult. Really glad that we can all support each other and share or experiances.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Have you got a dolly bag for your drain?
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you are home and ok .
Optimissy64

Excellent news Anniej - onwards and upwards, (and you got a little boob-job at the same time!)

I'm not very well-endowed so there isn't much difference between my two post-op (apart from a couple of rather fetching scars which have healed very well) but it's good to know these surgeons take aesthetics into account isn't it?

You sound very cheerful and up-beat - the nasy critter is indeed gone. Best wishes for your continiued recovery. Don't forget your exercises. X

Anniej
Community Champion

No Jill, no dye or wires. Dotted lines drawn on my booby, a lovely bit of be- dazzle to calm me, a cocktail to knock me out, and bobs your uncle, the nasty lump is gone. Feeling very good, although the drain is a bit of a problem.

Follow up on 28, and hoping margins were sufficient. The surgeon said she had plenty to work with (!) and she's sort of lifted and tucked to match the other one.  They are throwing everything at me as I had cancerous lymph nodes, which are also gone.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck A,you will feel much better this time tomorrow .Did you have radioactive dye injected ,I had it day before and guide wire on morning of op.Didnt get any info on the guide wire beforehand just told I would be having it.
Anniej
Community Champion

Thanks, Optimissy64, very explanatory . Unfortunately my eating/ drinking deadline has passed or I would be having a good old comfort munch! Been anxious all week, so tonight is no different. At least Mr. Blobby ( my lump) will have hit the dust by this time tomorrow and hopefully all my little funny aches and pains will have gone.

Optimissy64

Hi Anniej

Good luck tomorrow! If they haven't sent you a leaflet about the wire and stuff then I imagine you won't be having it. For me it was a "wire localisation", put in during a mammogram-like proceedure before the op itself, so that the surgeon can see which bit he is aiming to take out. (they take the wire out during the op!)  I was also injected with radioactive liquid and had some scans done the morning of the op, this was in the nuclear medicine department. I think they injected me with the blue dye during the op itself, (while i was under!) then they see where it travels to first - the sentinel node - and take the right node or nodes out. If you haven't been given leaflets and instructions as to where to go for the wire etc, then it obviously doesn't apply to you. Everyone is different and treatment interventions differ.If by chance you are having all this and they've forgotten to send you the leaflets, don't worry, it's fine, and you'll soon be snoozing.

I'm glad our experiences of WLE and node removal have made you feel better. It is indeed a bit of a bugger, but not half as much as I feared - a bit anxious the night before the op, but got up in the middle of the night to have a cuppa and breakfast before the deadline after which you can't eat! You can see what my priorites were - I'll never be skinny! Do let us know how it went. xxxxx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi ladies, interested in these stories . I am in at 7.30am tomorrow for my WLE and removal of 2 lymph nodes which show positive. Mine is a 2cm ductal tumour, but I am scheduled for 5 months of chemo, followed by rads.

No mention has been made of wires and dye. Can I expect to have this procedure, or is everyone different?

The last week has been a bit of a bugger, and I can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow, although I am VERY encouraged by these posts. Thanks. X

Optimissy64

PS: no idea what the bar saying Emotional content means - maybe I hit something while I was typing.......Doh!

Optimissy64

Hi Lynda

like Kezzar, I had the same procedures as you will be having,and was surpised at how OK I felt after- think the painkillers helped! - and went down the pub with neighbours the day after the op (water only of course!) though I think going back to work a week later would have been a bit much for me, (though didn't need to as retired) and they told me to avoid driving for 2 weeks after the op which I obeyed though felt OK actually. My cognitive functioning though was  not up to par for a week or so after the op, possibly due to anaesthetic or possibly due to having to process so much new information - I knew nothing about BC and had to learn a lot of new words, (especially Bu*g&r, S**t, and the like 🙂  

Spoiler
Spoiler
Not sure what this highlighted thing means - must have pressed something......

The wire thing is not as horrible as the biopsies strangely enough, though I took a precautionary paracetamol in advance just in case. (take nothing with aspirin in though) I hope you are radiotherapy only too. Good luck for Friday. xxxx

Kezzar

Hi Lynda 1955.

I had a WLE and sentinel node biopsy on Monday. I had the dye and wire in the morning and the op at 4.30. Was home to a cooked meal at 8pm. I've had virtually no pain either. I've done my exercises and walked loads. Back to work on Monday. 

It was all really simple and straightforward.

the hardest part was the waiting for the surgery. I read about 10 magazines! 

Good luck. Kerri

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Lynda,there is so much to get your head around in the beginning ,so many procedures and appointments ,very hard to take it all in .It really does leave your head in a spin.Like Ann says it does settle down and become less overwhelming and once you start treatment to get rid of the ****** you do feel better .Lots of support here from people who understand .
lynda1955

Thanks for your reassurance at least I know that how I am feeling is normal, thought I was going mad.

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the forum, there is plenty of support here from those who are going through similar stages, as well as those of us further down the road.

The feelings you describe are or were common to most of us in the early days of diagnosis & waiting for treatment. It does get better as diagnosis & treatment plans are confirmed & you know where you're going, as ever, it is the uncertainty which makes it such an anxious time.

Do look at the other threads, such as 'going through treatment' for support & advice as needed.

take care

ann x

lynda1955

ductal breast cancer

After a routine mammogram at the end of January I was card to screening centre in Cardiff. Today I have had confirmation for lumpectomy next Friday. Have to attend hospital on the Third day at 11am for pre operation check, 2pm it's radiography for dye injection then 4pm ultrasound fir a wire to be put in. After all that is done I can return home but refrain from food and drink after 12 and return 7:30 next morning and hopefully out that night. It is all starting to feel real now but keeping my fingers crossed that it will only be radio therapy after. 12 years ago I had thyroid cancer and dealt with that well but seem to be all over the place with this. I had genetic counselling some years age due to my dad having breast cancer. Since then my younger since had breast cancer we are hoping mine is not the same type. There is no brad gene.