end of treatment

i had my last dose of radiotherapy today and not sure how i should feel !!!when the nurse said congratulations thats it i was like “oh -wow-” and I was elated but now i just feel like a ship in a storm. did anyone else feel like this ??

Hello AliC,

Congratulations on finishing rads.

Yes this is completely normal! I think most of us feel like this - it feels a bit like being abandoned after all the months of hospital appointments, ops etc. I think this is when it hits you - what you have been through - and it feels quite surreal. Hopefully these feelings will fade and we can get on with our lives without worrying too much.  One day at a time! Onwards and upwards. I wish you all the best xx Lily

Thanks lily. Today got better as the day went on. I felt as if I was sat waiting for something to happen ( like side effects worsening) but once I had a word with myself and went out for a walk things seemed to get better. Hope you’re well xx

Totally normal Ali ,it’s a weird feeling and it takes some time to get back to any sort of “normality” .You kind of feel abandoned after all the intervention and constant appointments .When I finished rads one of ladies having treatment with me said “so what are we supposed to do now ,just go away and try not to get it again”, yes that about sums it up …

It does get better!!!

Thank you ladies. I think I was that scared of doing damage I have been taking things to the extreme of what to do / what not to do etc. And then I read that some ladies don’t get bad side efffecyz from radiotherapy and have worlked through it. Think I’m going to “try” and start normality - wish me luck ?

I totally felt exactly like you do right now, it does ease but takes a a week or so. Take care Mary xxx

I feel exactly the same. Finished my rads yesterday & had 23 sessions which I had everyday after work. Felt emotional when it was all over. Someone actually said to me ‘so glad you’re better’. She meant well but I think the easy bit is over. Dealing with the future is daunting xx

People mean so well don’t they when they say "it’s all over now " - if only they knew. I feel more anxious now and down than I have all the way through. hopefully as some of you lovely ladies have said it will get better and I just need to be patient. Hope you all have a nice weekend xx

Thanks for your replies xx. It helps to know these feelings are normal. We just need to take small steps. Enjoy your weekend xx

Radiotherapy affects everyone in different ways. Some of us are completely “knocked out” for months and others have little to no problems. Don’t know if you have been given advice regarding bath/ shower products but I was told not to use anything but simple soap(not even their shower or bath products) for 4 weeks after treatment, never shave affected underarm side with anything other than an electric razor and also no deo/perfume/talc etc for 4 weeks after either. No hot baths ever (really miss) or Saunas etc. And take care when lifting - that includes shopping! Most of this was not from the Radiotherapy team but from the Cancer Support Team - Nurse/Maggies/Course. All I got was “that’s your last treatment, bye”. Only had 1 interview throughout the whole thing, so I went to the Cancer Nurse, as was upset by the lack of anything. That helped.

Starting rads next month…most dismayed to read here about the baths!! What about if the breast area stays above the water? I don’t have a shower so rely on baths :frowning:

hi treeze,
I continued to have my baths during & after rads without a problem, I was obviously, careful & didn’t use anything to aggravate the skin.
ann x

Thank you x

Hi Treeze. I have also found that a “not as hot as I would normally have it” bath has been fine. Initially I was overdoing the what to do and what not to do and ended up just stressed out my mind. I was even trying to wash my hair in the shower without getting shampoo over the area -Which seems laughable now but at the time I was in panic mode !!! I don’t put any bubble bath or oil in it and only use simple soap over the affected area but 18 days post rads I am starting to heal and still enjoying a small soak in the bath. We need to remember to give ourselves these little treats now and again and keep us sane through this horrible journey we have to go through. Good luck with you rads next month. Have they given you any cream or gel to use before xx

Thank you.first appointment for a chat or whatever is on Wednesday so I expect I’ll learn more then.x

Hi Treese I had baths at normal temp throughout rads & after.  You just need to make sure the water level is below the rads area.  My main issue was around the side under your arm (I didn’t have axilla rads, but the boob one stretches under your arm).  If you lie slightly rotated towards the good side, you can have a decently deep bath.  I like pretty hot baths & haven’t had any issues since. I went into autopilot one day in the 2nd week of treatment & washed affected boob with soap & a flannel.  Had a bit of a panic, but there was no problem.    Used R1R2 cream & Radlife cream, both expensive, but worth it as only slight pink tinge by the end of week three.  Good luck.  Just lie back & think of your next beach hol & it’s over in a few mins. One tip is to position yourself slightly rotated towards the affected side, then if there’s any repositioning to be done, they’re yanking your unaffected side (applies for week 3 really) xx