exercise makes cancer grow faster

this was the latest headline in the Metro today. Apparently speeding up the metabolic rate speeds blood circulation thus making cancers grow bigger.

That must be the explanation for the tumour I grew after about a year and a half’s strenuous exercise with the newham striders, 8 miles every saturday and four miles a day back and from work plus biking once or twice a week.

Glad I gave it all up once I was in treatment

Yes, I was doing Body Combat or Body Pump 4 or 5 days a week for 5 years before my diagnosis. So yet again (along with my glass of wine) I am totally to blame for my illness.

I gave up beating myself up for all the things I should or shouldn’t have done because it’s a waste of breath. I’d rather use my energy getting through it.

Sharon x

I cant seem to get it right me!! I drink wine and take regular exercise walking my dog!!

This journey is hard enough!!!

Sorry for moaning

Kay xx

My understanding has always been that exercise is preventative against breast cancer!
Gwyn

What are we to believe? I didn’t have any stress in my life, don’t drink, was not overweight (not saying anything about now!), and most certainly did not exercise very much - and the usual things like I didnt smoke, breast fed my children etc.etc. therefore was not likely to be at risk. Even told that by first registrar that saw me to do the needle biopsy!

I think it can be claimed that anything causes breast cancer - you are bound to find a group that fits the theory. I think we should all give up breathing to be safe.LOL

Dawnhc

oops forgot I breastfed too!! (I used to think well that should help)

I dont think anyone knows what causes BC.

Love Kay x

Yep, I did everything right, diet, exercise, not smoking or drinking, breast fed 3 children until they walked, but I did take the Pill for years. What is the point in looking back and beating ourselves up for what may or may not have contributed? In the vast majority of BC cases there is no one definitive cause. Is this article talking about manic body-building or normal fitness activity, walking, jogging, cycling, swimming?

Lyn xx

I read the headline in the Mirror but I thought it was talking about prostate cancer once it had already been diagnosed?

What a load of old tosh. From what I can remember when I read it, It was research carried out on mice, who were given prostate cancer. Those who ran around in the wheels appeared to get cancer quicker. This was a very small study carried out on animals. It was neither a valid or reliable study. There is no doubt that exercise is good for us in loads of ways. It boosts the immune system, it helps us stay supple, keeps of weight, strengthens the heart, lowers blood pressure, helps to reduce depression etc etc. I guess like anything good for us, you could go to extreme like running a marathon whilst ill which will have a negative effect. This is just another piece of crap that needs to be disregarded.

I cant smoke,drink,eat bacon,beef etc etc,dont really like eating vegatables all the time,dont have a proper social life cos of treatment etc is anyone going to tell us what we can do?I am bloody sick of hearing dont do this it causes cancer,dont do that,it causes cancer,well do you know what,If I want bacon I will have it,if I want to drink a BOTTLE of wine I will,I dont smoke so cant include that,I do exercise every day and will continue to do so.I spent years not really doing any drinking and not really eating very much,was too busy bringing up my kids,now ,after all this,I am going to do what I want to do,rather than reside myself to sitting in a corner rocking and muttering to myself,you get one life and should live it however you want.Sorry for the rant,just get sick of hearing stuff like this,I know people that have led the healthiest of lifestyles and still dropped dead too young.

Oh dear ! All our own fault AGAIN !!! Yet another scare story to send us all into a moral panic and to flog more newspapers !

It has long been established that exercise reduces this risk of a breast cancer recurrence. I am not aware that this is ever disputed. Some studies have suggested that the more strenuous the exercise, the greater the reduction of risk.

There may well be a place for research on lab animals but it is utterly wrong for those publicising the results to assume the same effects will apply to a human, living a normal lifestyle with a varied diet, going outside, exposed to pollutants, taking various medications by choice, living differently in every possible way to a lab rat! And I agree that for a paper aimed at a reasonably intelligent readership, the Mail has a shameful record of scaremongering.

No point blaming yourself! I could have been an olympic athlete but due to me having dodgy genes was gonna get it one day!

Ive been fighting this thing since i was 28 no break, bang dx with secondaries at 29 and starting my second lot of chemo this friday. I ate the right things, did the gentle exercise until the tumour in my back had to be removed along with my vertebrae containing it, it still spread.

I say do what makes you happy and dont hold back on things you want to do (yes we do have to be slightly careful) but my life is too short to be reading what i can and cant do because everything is so contradictory! I want a laugh with the people i love and care about and want to squeeze in the things ive always wanted to do, I got fed up worring about it crying and thinking about it 24/7 and thinking everything ive done, ate etc in my life caused it. It doesnt help. Yes im bitter because of my age but it has put my whole life into perspective.

My consultant (surgeon) told me recently that I need to exercise really hard. And I have decided to work part time now to enable me to have more time to do so. All this to help me to lose weight (definitely meant to be a good thing to do I’m sure) and to help keep the osteoporosis under control. You can’t win.

Anne

Hi Molennium,
I also go out walking usually with Redbridge Ramblers but once I walked alongside the Newham Striders! - obviously once was too much!!!
Still walking and off today for a couple of days at Abingworth Hall HF - time to pack the hiking boots.
Magsi

Hi everyone,
My Onc at my recent appointment said its very important to have a low fat diet and do regular exercise. She said that this is the only thing that has def been proved to help prevent a reaccurence.
I was exercising until the school holidays started, 3 or 4 miles power walk 4 days a week. I hoped to continue this with the kids but the weather has been awful. I have a 20 minute pilates dvd that really helps with a stiff back and I try to do that a couple of times a week. I am still 1 stone overweight but I have lovely leg muscles.
I know plenty of smokers , heavy drinkers who never exercise and are obese. I bet they live until they are 90.
Lots of love Andrea x

We might as well all just pull the duvets over our heads in the morning and give up. The latest one this morning is that vitamin supplements shorten your life by 16 per cent. As my OH keeps pointing out, living is bad for you!

It becomes laughable. One day a glass of red wine is really beneficial, the next day it is lethal; one day fresh organic produce is beneficial, the next day you can forget it; one day Turmeric will cure everything, the next it will destroy your stomach.

I’ve stopped reading these “reports”. They are space fillers without any proper basis or research, merely regurgitating press releases.

Like many have said there is so much that is bad for us and we are constantly being told a different tale every day. I am the 1st to admit that I do not eat the healthiest of diets - I hate vegetables and only midly tolerate fruit so my 5 a day is daibolical… I don’t take structured excerise cos I am too busy working full time, running a house and tearing my hair out over my 18yr old. I took the pill for years on and off … disgustingly I also smoke (although that is something I am determined to kick into touch). I drink coffee daily but alcohol rarely, have never been overweight so that should go in my favour.

All in all there are many things that I could beat myself up over and blame myself for bringing on this cancer … it could be said that I got it cos I am a woman and I’ve got oestrogen… but like others have said to hell with the blame… I’ve enjoyed eating steak and not having 17 babies and at the moment I’m spending too much time kicking cancer’s ass to have time left over for blaming myself.