Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

expander

15 REPLIES 15
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: expander

Hi impatiens, good luck with your op. I am sorry I dont know what exercises are good except the ones they give you in hospital. I am still doing them every day and they do help but I am an old lady(63) and maybe you will find them fairly easy after a few weeks. When your scars have healed over try using E45 cream or bio oil. I use both one in the morning and the other at night. Your BCN will tell you when you can start using them.

impatiens

HI

I'm due for an MX next Tuesday and am having an expander implant so I can have more recon later after rads. Can anyone recommend any exercises they found particularly helpful apart from the ones on the leaflet they give you to get mobility back, fainter scars etc after the initial op?

And thanks for the posts by the way, I have still to decide what sort of recon to go for in however long away that's going to be - I have quite a journey til then I think, so one bit at a time I suppose. It's so good to read other people's experiences

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi had my first expansion today. When i saw the size of the syringe I thought oh no here we go. Three syringe fulls later did not feel any thing but the needle go in and a slight tightness after, my boob looks amazing now and nearly as big as the other one. I am truly impressed with what they can do for us nowadays.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi I had my expander op in Jan at the same time as my double mx. So six months later and most of the time I forget about them. I even packed my surf board for my holiday last week and when I got there I realised there is absolutely no way I can use it. The biggest problem is not being able to lie on my front, but I can sleep on my side now without a problem. Unfortunately though, one of my boobs has migrated so there is no gap between them and and the shape of one isn't quite right - although I look ok in clothes. So I cannot have new implants and will be having some fat transfer instead.

However I am SO glad I didn't go for a flap op as thought of messing around with muscle for me is not good (I'm an active 39 year old) and many people have reported back ache etc. For me it was the right decision - I probably compromised on cosmetic results to retain my lifestyle.

I remember getting very low in the first couple of months after the op but for me I had some break throughs in terms of sleeping positions and then ability to go running and get back on my bike and those little break throughs reminded me that it was getting easier so hang in there!

Guest user
Not applicable

HI Barwill, I do moan a lot about my expander but at last it is settling down and feels a bit more comfortable. Maybe I am just getting used to it now, I dont know. I do think it looks amazing when you come out of surgery and as long as you take the painkillers( i was on paracetamol ) and can bear with it. I am hoping it will be fine. I have not had an expansion yet but friends tell me I look fab. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

gabion

Hi Barbwill, I'm just about to start radiotherapy with an expander. Had 200ml of saline removed yesterday ready for rads planning ct tomorrow. PS said it needed to be 'soft' for rads, she will see me halfway through rads to check, I suppose, for contraction (didn't really ask why - mind goes gaga when I'm at appts sometimes) and then she said will put back saline once rads finished. Feel rather lopsided at moment but BCN is going to send me out an insert, so that should help! I must admit I've got faith in my PS, so tend to go along with her advice and im pretty pleased with what she's done so far. So with a bit of weight loss I hope to have a tram reconstruction next year sometime. Gill x

Barbwill

Thank you purplehorse, I am also too thin for a recon with my own fat so the choice is between expanders or having an ld flap with implants later.
May I ask, did you have rads with the expanders in ? I would have to have rads in Sept with the expanders in and I worry about capsular contraction but also about the skin being damaged by the rads.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Barbwill,

I had double mastectomy and expanders followed by implants. I too was horrified when I looked at this forum and everyone was moaning about them! You have to remember that all the people who are getting on OK, are just getting on with their lives, so aren't posting! I was pleasantly surprised in the end. I had to have implants or nothing , as I am thin and no flesh to take anywhere. I didn't want to be big either, so had small fills so was really not in any discomfort after them. Yes, they were a bit hard and high, but you get used to it, in my opimion it is better than nothing, and the silicone ones look better and feel more comfortable.
Good Luck with whatever you decide X

NAZ

Hi
I had an expander implant, exchanged for a permanent one last June.

In my opinion, it is a horrid, hard and unsightly thing in my body.

I hate it so much, that i am prepared to go under the knife again this year for the ld flap recon.

Good luck, everyone is different i guess, and i am sure the expander is good for some..

Naz xx

Barbwill

Hi everyone, I will have a bilateral mx at the end of July and I was thinking of going for expanders as well to save me a bigger operation next year for a traditional recon. A it worried to hear that it's so uncomfortable ... and I guess it's worse with bilateral ones .... would you still recommend it ?

Guest user
Not applicable

I have not had my first expansion think I am having it on 13th July as that is my next appointment, will let you know how that goes. Had a terrible night last night. I dont know if my bra was too tight or wether I just did too much yesterday as I was out all day but suffered at bed time as was in a lot of pain ( what a baby I am!!)

poppyscarlet

Just had my expander after MX on 8th June so two weeks post op also had lymph nodes removed. Still sore, but really pleased with how it looked immediately after op. It will be a long road, but so glad I made this choice.

In a bit of pain as chest so tight under expander, not sure what to expect when I have my first top up!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks ladies, Guess I have to grin and bear it!

gabion

Hi I've had my expander in since January, hated it at first as it felt really alien - it used to feel like I had something strapped to my chest. However in the last couple of months I hardly think about it and it feels a part of me even if a little uncomfortable at times. I've had it expanded once and due to have it drained ready for rads at the end of this month - so that'll be interesting. PS says she will refill it after rads are over. I hope this helps you. Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Blanche42,

I had my expander implant in for a yr to the day since surgery and can honestly tell you in all that time it was heavy, uncomfortable, tight as a drum and generally annoying. Wish i could tell you differently sorry - on the up side, when i had the op to transfer to permanent silicone implant it was so much more bearable, no contest.

Lynn
x

Guest user
Not applicable

expander

Has anyone recently had an expander fitted and if so can you share your experience of it? I had my op on the 19th May and am finding it very heavy and uncomfortable and would like to know if any other ladies have experienced this.