Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake boobs n raising money for breast cancer

14 REPLIES 14
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: fake boobs n raising money for breast cancer

I agree to do something naked is in bad taste in my opinion. I have managed to raise close to £80,000 for breast cancer charities since my diagnosis and it has never involved getting naked or even shaving my head - the chemo did that for me!.

I work in an office full of women and the other day the conversation turned to boob jobs post breastfeeding. (we do work hard most of the time - honest!) whereas we all have to respect everyone's differing opinions I wanted to scream how they don't know how fortunate they are to a) have the choice of breast surgery in the first place and b) that cosmetic appearance is the ONLY thing they have to worry about when it comes to boobs.

Sorry rant over now........ xxxxx

tors

My view is that there is a big difference between a large group of people naked on a rollercoaster to raise cash as opposed to one individual who had had a breast enlargement and seems to want to show it off. The attention for the group comes as a result of being in a big group of people so the attention isn't on the individual. One single naked person suggests exhibisionist behaviour and he history of having the implants suggests that it is these she wishes to showcase. It does not appear particularly sensitive of her and perhaps she should be guided in the direction of another way to steer her good intentions. I am pretty sure that naked enhanced breasts wouldn't have got the bc message across to me if it's aimed at highlighting awareness, and am not sure I would sponsor someone to do hhis if it is aimed at raising money. Just my views!

schmooley

Yes I see what you mean now. Flaunting your boobs just because you've had them enhanced could be a bit tastless and lacking in sensitivity.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi I think the problem here is that the original post was about someone who had just had a boob job and then wanted to do something naked to raise money.it seems to me that this would be to show off her new boobs doing it for herself not others.I maybe totally wrong but thats how it seems.

Well done to you and the others for raising so much money and hope your reconstruction goes well.Best wishes Mel xx

schmooley

Just thought i'd post my recent experience as have mixed views about various points raised here.

On Sunday 8th August some of you may have seen or read the papers there was a world record attempt for the most naked people on a roller coaster. This was in aid of the Bosom Pals appeal at Southend Hospital which is an appeal to raise money for new equipment at the breast unit there.

102 brave souls bared their all in aid of the appeal and early indications are that £22,000.00 has been raised and hopefully this will rise.

I was one of those brave/silly people that thought that this would be a laugh and an opportunity to give a little something back to the hospital where I received my treatment.

I had a mx in feb 09 and have only one breast. I am hoping to go on the waiting list (at Broomfields incidently)for a reconstruction soon ( I have an apt to see plastic Surgeon Friday) There were girls there with bountiful breasts (see press) and although slightly envious,I did not begrudge them their breasts. We were all there for a good cause.

So i'm not sure where I stand in regard to the original post. It wouldn't upset me but I can see that some people might be offended or think it in poor taste. (not very helpful am i?)

Guest user
Not applicable

The very real message of"look after them so you don't lose them" would be strong case for naked bc fundraising surley.

What rubbish.I really have trouble understanding where you come from Grechen.How have any of us not looked after our boobs those that have had cancer diagnosed by first mammogram,those who find a lump those with high grade or widespread DCIS who have to have mastectomy what could we have done to look after our boobs
Your entitled to your opinion but I really don't get it 🙂

And you can't see the difference between the absurdity of 20 year old wanting better boobs and someone having reconstruction because of breast cancer,is beyond me.
mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just another perspective.....

Stripping off to raise money is a bit sad and exhibitionist, but hey, if it is for a good cause then why not? There is a fairly obvious link between breasts and bc, so don;t really see the problem. I only have one, now fairly saggy boob, but have no envy towards women with great boobs, real or not. The very real message of 'look after them so you don't lose them', would be strong case for naked bc fundraising surely.

In this utterly breast-obsessed society (uk especially!) that we live in, I don't see much difference between the absurdity of a 20 year old undergoing major surgery for better boobs and a intelligent older woman who has had a family undergo and even bigger and more complicated surgery for a reconstruction. I am only 36 years old 3 months post mx and think it is highly unlikely I will ever reconstruct, my life is way too precious to waste one second, let alone several months in hospital and in recovery.

I am sure this is not the mainstream view, but I am pretty annoyed at the assumption I would have a recon 'to give me back my femininity' as the ps put it. Sorry to be crude, but I have been a successful woman with an interesting life - there is a whole lot more to me than a matching pair of tits!!!

cherub

Too true, but the Consultant said "we are only here to offer some form of normality, we are not here to make women glamorous". I think some of these young girls need to get their heads out of downmarket magazines full of women with ridiculous implant jobs like Katie Price et al. I was also really angry at the Alicia Douvall thing on BBC3 recently, where her implant slipped on a transatlantic flight and her 14 year old daughter had to look after her after she found a plastic surgeon. I don't actually think women like her have body dysmorphia, they are attention seekers who have gone a bit too far.

The Consultant at Broomfields also said he hated when breast surgery was referred to as a "boob job" and I must admit that term makes me cringe as well. One of the women in the hospital office said they even get men ringing up to ask if they can get penis enlargement on the NHS, but she said she was never sure if it was a wind up. A gay friend of mine said men get their willies "enhanced" because they are usually the sort of blokes you wouldn't look twice at in a bar, which made me laugh out loud 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I had a breast reduction in 2003 at Broomfields. This was not cosmetic and it was not a decision I took lightly. It was far more painful than the mastectomy I have had since. My breasts were a g/h size and at the time I was quite slim (a pre-requisite before they do it on NHS is that you must be BMI 25 or under) I had constant backaches and welts where bras dug in and bras costed a fortune (ironically they do now I only have one).

Television programmes always show the worse excesses.

Linda

ljmostlyautumn

Agree with ladies above - she's an exhibitionist and it's in *very* bad taste. I get mad when I see Jordan and Liz hurley etc. jumping on the BC bandwagon for a bit of publicity. I know celebs can raise the charities' profile and raise more money maybe, but they should be more sensitive in how they 'present' themselves at these functions. Thrusting out their expensive vanity fakes, or real unscarred ones for that matter, shows NO respect for the women (and men) going through this. It makes me mad for anyone ever involved with BC. It's like a popstar turning up at a benefit for starving kids with a string of fillet steaks round their necks!!! (plastic ones LOL). What you have to ask her is why she didn't do it before her op? If it's her only talent having big fake boobs - i feel sorry for her. Like the other lady said - plenty of other ways to raise money!

Offering to show your boobs and bits for money?.... hmmmmm what does that make it? Sorry - but after 3 yrs of hell, it makes me mad too!
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sounds like she's an exhibitionist to me. Tell her to do a streak at the cricket/football match that should satisfy her need to display her beautifully shaped, perfect boobs off!!!

Sorry but it makes me really mad.

J x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think that perhaps you need to advise your friend of the reality of 'boob jobs' after BC surgery.... we are full of scars, lop sided, no nipples, seromas, dog ears...
I am sure that she is delighted with her new boobs and wants to show them off, but not in association with BC.
I miss my boobs, I cant look in the mirror, I would be devastated to see someone with pretty 'cosmetic' boobs raising money for BC.
Marguerite

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,no I do not think it is such a good idea, why does your friend want to be naked to raise money?. there are plenty of other ways to raise money, perhaps she could shave her hair off.I personaly would see it as a very vain thing to do and it would be like a smack in the mouth for me if I saw someone naked with fake big boobs trying to raise money.

Best wishes Mel xx

cherub

Something that made me really angry was Ch4's "Hospital" documentary last night. They filmed at Broomfields in Chelmsford, Essex and was about the NHS doing breast ops on girls in their teens. Fair enough, in most of the cases featured the girls had differing cup sizes, also another where the girl was suffering severe back pain from her breasts being very big and heavy. However, there was one girl who felt she should just be getting implants because she didn't look like the girls in Nuts and the other lad mags! She kept saying "everybody knows the NHS does boob jobs - I'll say I'm suicidal if I have to", because she was turned down. Another girl's mum said she thought it was only fair the NHS should pay. One girl who was 15 was put on the waiting list, but the Consultant warned she had not finished developing yet - this girl really needed to be told to lose about 3st tbh, her mum was absolutely huge as well. The appointments office said there were also loads of abuses as they would give girls a date, then they'd say they could not turn up. At one point they were cancelling all of the following day's surgery on account of this.

What saddened me was the Consultant was such a kind chap and he said it worried him that whilst he was doing ops on these young girls he had 120 women waiting for post mastectomy reconstructions. As for the one who kept saying "everybody gets boob jobs on the NHS" I think if I met her I would give her such a mouthful, plus a slap for good measure - she made me so angry I was shouting at the telly!

People just don't get their brain in gear at times.

Guest user
Not applicable

fake boobs n raising money for breast cancer

i was just wondering about a topic, my friend who not long had a boob job is wanting to do something naked to raise money for breast cancer, i got very angry because i kinda thought is that a joke? some people pray they dont lose there breast and ur totting around with fake ones. i have nothing at all against cosmetic surgery but i just think is this ok or not? its always gd to raise money of course but if she was laying in a hospital bed recovering from her boob op and someone next to her recovering from a operation to do with breast cancer?!?