family reunion

I am part of a huge family, mum was one of ten children, and there is abig family gathering next week, alot of people there dont know ive had cancer, and i dont want to spend the whole day discussing it, also my hair is very short (just growing back after chemo) and i had it long for years so im really concerned about what people will say.
Also its fancy dress , a themed wedding and the afternoon is to be spent outside, as its a medieval wedding, the costume options are for half of my bust to be on show, which i cant because im stii going through rads!
im getting myself upset and i KNOW its trivial but need inspiration about it all help!

Fancy dress - so that should give you a few options if you are trying not to let some of the gathering clans know what you have been through. A long flowing wig perhaps - as outrageous as you like, and perhaps some pretty lace to cover the area between low dress and neck? Don’t be upset Annamarie, I am sure you will have fun once you have had a chance to think this through a bit more. Good luck, and let us know what you wear! Sarah.

What about a jester, or one of the high necked flowing dresses with a wimpole.

Marilyn x

Anna-Marie - it’s not trivial at all.

Sarah and Marilyn have suggested really good options. You go along and have a damn good time

Liz xx

Hi Annamarie

I think fancy dress is an ideal solution. Like Sarah says, get a beautiful long wig. I naturally have horrible short hair as its so fine so I would jump at the chance to try out a long wig. Also, not all medieval costumes have to be too low cut? It isn’t trivial at all as what we look like is important to us. My guess is that some of the other guests are also worrying about what to wear, not because they have had cancer, but because they feel that they are too fat/ too skinny/too old etc etc?

Have a great time.

Cathy
xx

Hi Annamarie,
You could always go as a page or minstrel: short bob hair wig, tights, if you’ve got the legs for it, and a tunic top that certainly wouldn’t be low. Are you going with OH who could be the knight, though it might be a bit warm for armour! You could go as a nun, (with stockings and suspenders flashed occasionally). There will be loads of damsels, so do something different!

Do you have a costume hire place, or is it out with the sewing machine. Don’t forget ebay, not just in their costume section, but ordinary stuff which is cheap and can be adapted.
Relax and enjoy yourself, don’t let this get you down, BC is not who you are, it shouldn’t be allowed to define you.
Have a lovely time,
Silversue

I agree that it is not trivial … I was invited to a wedding in my 3rd week of rads and was very concerned about what to wear, not only for comfort but also to cover any redness from rads as the groom had terminal cancer and I didn’t want to be a walking advert for radiotherapy. I didn’t have the hair issue to worry about as I did not have chemo.

As Silversue says check out Ebay - if nothing else it will give you a chance to see what options there are. If you have a costume hire place nearby then you could always phone or call in, explain the situation and ask them for advice and suggestions, they should be able to suggest solutions to both the hair and the rads issues.

I hope you ahve a great day.

ive decided that my family should be pleased im well enough to be there, and if they dont like my hair, whatever i wear tough!!! my BC nurse said yesterday by the time of the wedding my skin will be in a terrible mess so it will be comfort that is my top prioty!
oh no my washing line has just snapped with a whole load of clean washing on it arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi Annamarie Spoke to Caroline yesterday and she said she was seeing you Monday afternoon , I asked her to give you my love , so if she forgot I’m sending it now. I do’nt think you should should hide the fact you have BC, if anyone asks just be upfront but tell them "You do’nt wish to discuss today of all days ", say I’m on the mend and leave it at that. You should be proud of yourself you have gone through hell and you are nearly out the other side. So hold your head up high GAL and sod what anybody thinks. Thats my opinion for what it’s worth!!! Things have changed drastically for me , save me repeating it all again I have a blog on chemo section titled ending chemo, if you wish to look of course. ((((hugs))))) Bobbie

Hi Annamarie

Good for you - besides, in medieval times it was up to the lady how low she wore her chemise - it had a drawstring neck which she adjusted to suit the occasion because they didn’t actaually flash their chests as much as we think! A nice soft cotton top would be comfy on the rads bit too.

hope the rads are going ok.

J