fat & full of lymphoedema!

post deleted

Hi
norbertte

i know how you feel about the weight, I am the same and as i have diabetes too really need to lose some weight but its not easy
I guess we need to try our best day by day lots of little changes will have a xn impact

love pops x

Try a bit (a lot) of stress, that’ll put you off your food…

Norbert

100% support coming your way, take baby steps with tiny goals to aim at. As you achieve little goals suddenly you will have achieved a bigger one. It has taken me 3 months to loose 17lbs- now I am paranoid about eating because I don,t want to put it on again.

Good Luck

Andie

I have just finished 8 chemos yesterday was my last dosing - since November, I gained a whopping 3 stone - I’m gutted. And now I have to go on tamoxifen, I’m praying it won’t make me gain more.

My healthy eating starts in a couple of days - let me get through Easter first.

Norberte,

Only 8 lbs! envy. My BMI is between 46 and 47. And every side effect, even of the pills, is put down by doctors to my weight, but how they expect me to lose weight on Tamoxifen or Exemestane I don’t know. I wanted a reduction of my good side, and the doctor said I should get down to my ‘ideal weight’ (the one I had when I was 12?) in 6 months!

The only way I have lost weight in the past 4 years was when pre-diabetes was diagnosed and I got a blood glucose meter and started cutting carbs. I followed a website/book recommended by the British Diabetes Association called Blood Sugar 101. I lost about 2 stone. A bit like Dr. Atkins - eating protein is quite satisfying.

This sounds great, but since Christmas I have lost the willpower and started putting it all on again. On top of that, my latest hobby is photographing German cakes. I wondered if it might have a therapeutic effect, sort of saying goodbye and happy memories, but someone has to eat them.

My only hope now is that in a year and a half I can stop the tablets. Meanwhile the only thing I can really do is get exercise.

Margaret

Hi Norberte
Losing weight is such a personal thing that I don’t want to come over as a ‘bighead’ and offer tips that are the basics that we all know really but would rather wave a magic wand and the weight would just drop off.
However you asked, so here goes - what worked for me. Doing it at the same time as someone else to encourage each other along the way. Having a treat day, we weighed ourselves every Saturday morning and then had something special for our meal that night, even steak and chips occasionally(chips cooked the low fat way in the oven). I never gave up chocolate, every evening I rewarded myself with 3 Jaffa cake biscuits - enough to keep the chocolate cravings at bay. Also all the old tried and trusted methods such as smaller portions, low fat,lots of fruit , extra exercise.

Also the entire family knew the score and wanted to know the weekly result , so no hiding . You need total support and we are all here to give it if you will let us

Keep going

Andie

Hi all I’d love to loose my weight put on 2 stone while on chemo but also I’ve a underactive thyroid and rhumatoid arthritis so I’m unsure wat the best exercises as my knees hips are bad so it’s a pain ESP as still on chemo and taking steroids for ra oh well gd luck all Laura

Hi Norberte

You get lots of sympathy/empathy from me. I need to lose a minimum of 3 stone. Me and the OH are both overweight and he was told by the GP to lose weight last week so we started our diet. We’re both foodies and also very weak willed so we have to be careful we don’t give each other excuses!

I’ve decided that this year is the year to get a few things sorted out including my weight. We aren’t anywhere near a slimming world or weight watchers so have to do it ourselves.

The problem for me is that I have terrible acid reflux so can eat very little fruit (which I love)and I can’t eat oily fish either. I find lunches a real nightmare so if anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them.

Anyway, all of us that need to lose weight let’s try together. Andie I like your tips especially the jaffa cake idea because they’ve got quite a strong flavour.

Elinda x

Yup it’s Monday…start of a new diet ! How many times have I said that…I am another of the overweight and full of lymphoedema variety with more stones to lose than I really care to count. How come it is sooo easy to say “eat less,exercise more…” but soooo hard to do…it’s the willpower that is lacking with me. I can start off well,even losing a couple of stone but then I think ooh I’m doing so well lets have a little treat and wham it all piles back on again. I LOVE FOOD ! Can’t understand these skinny malinks that don’t like to eat,guess we all have our issues. Anyhow I am back from a lovely holiday in Cyprus full of mezze and baklava and oh goodness an extra 5lbs ,unfortunately not in my hand luggage !

The question I am asking myself today is…"do you want to continue being an overweight wobbly person that gets out of puff way too easily, giving yourself more health problems than you need to? " Of course the answer is no,just keeping fingers crossed that can have the right mindset to follow through this time and wishing all of you the very best of luck. I am just off to ebay to purchase a cross trainer so will let you know how that goes and hopefully it won’t be gathering dust in a couple of months in my garage !

Sandra x

Hi
Mentioned by my LD nurse I borrowed a rebounder which used gently is reputed to help move the lymph fluid round the body. It had the SE of gradually building up my strength to enable me to increase exercise with faster walking.
At the weekend OH saw the article in the Daily Mail newspaper about kangoo jumps ( strange looking boots with a bouncy bit on the bottom) he has decided they are just what I need. MEN?

Andie

Hi Norberte

I’ve been tested twice for H Pylori and its negative. This all came on 5 days after last chemo and never left. I’ve had an endoscopy too. I’m on pantoprazole two or three times a day, domperidone and sometimes rennies. It’s reasonably under control although anything can set it off. Fruit is one of the worst things which is terrible 'cos I love things like strawberries and raspberries in the summer.

I have to confess I often eat sitting on the sofa watching tv. Funnily enough the OH and I decided this morning that we wouldn’t do that anymore.

I hadn’t thought of Slimming world online and I’ll look into that.

Exercise is a big problem for me too 'cos anything I do aggravates my shoulder even walking. I’m having physio too and she has said to keep it to a minimum so as not to make matters worse. I’m looking into getting an exercise bike. Did anyone see the Horizon programme ‘The Truth about Exercise’? If not, take a look on bbc i player - it is so interesting and completely challenges traditional notions about exercise. You’ll see why I’m thinking of an exercise bike.
bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cywtq/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_About_Exercise/

Thanks for the lunch tips. Anymore ideas anyone? I’d like to have lots of ideas as I get fed up very quickly of things.

We’re all in this together Norberte!
Elinda x

Hi

Yes Elinda I saw the programme you refer to. I also thought of getting an exercise bike but am so guilty of buying exercise equipment and abandoning it after a few months that common sense prevailed and I stuck to walking. Not the intense exercise they recommend but not sure if I could have done that anyway.

Sometimes for lunch I have half a tin of salmon (boned and skinned cos I,m lazy with food)with chunks of cucumber and a couple of bread sticks. I find that on a diet food tends to be soft and I long for a crunch so bread stick suit me better than bread even if it is wholemeal as recommended. I also quite enjoy beans on toast.

Happy eating

Andie

I like the sound of the tiffin box. I’m okay 'cos I haven’t gone back to work since finishing treatment but do some work from home but would be ideal for the hubby.

I’m looking on e-bay for a bike although I’ve also seen some good offers on Amazon too. In the exercise programme they were saying (if I remember rightly) to do three lots of 20 seconds with a short break between each lot. You do though have to peddle as fast as you possibly can for the whole 20 seconds so you are very out of breath. You do this 3 times a week.
New research is showing that even such a small amount as this can increase your body’s ability to metabolise glucose and if you are a responder (some people respond more to exercise than others) then it will improve you cardiovascularly. Don’t quote me on any of that but that’s the gist.

Elinda x

Hi all
Wonder if anyone can help, had full lympnode clearence last nov, ironically saw my surgeon yesterday,and gave me all clear even tho i have a swollen breast,he gave me exercises to do, but now the swelling is travelling down my arm and at the wrist its painful, does this sound like lymphoedema, whats a good exercise to be getting on with untill i go to the GP, is exercises the only answer

what to do!!

Hi norberte
Just to say the only exercises that iam doing is the Get fitter Feel stronger, and danceing round kitchen to smooth 70’s.
i have no temp,
in the past have had 2 lots of cellulitis of the breast,
no rash on arm, it does not feel warm to touch, but is swollen and feels as if its stiffing up.
wont stopping the exercises make it more swollen and stiffer?.
Think a trip to GP is in order.

Thanks norberte, hope you are in the land of nod, and when you wake maybe a few pounds lighter xxxxxx

Hi Norberte

Sorry didn’t read this before. I did look at Slimming World but don’t really want to pay for an internet service as I’m not sure it will help enough.

I have though devised my own diet plan and have lost 2lbs this week. Hopefully it will work. I’m eating more frequently during the day but much much smaller amounts. It seems to be helping with my acid reflux a bit. We’re also having evening meal at the table every night now as you suggested.

Like you, my poor OH has been very virtuous this week but put on 2lbs - I really don’t understand it as he’s been having low calorie salads for lunch and the same evening meal as me. I think some people must have slower metabolisms. I do think activity plays it part too although not everyone is able to do much because of either time constraints or health issues.

My physio was very keen on the exercise bike idea. It’s just finding room to put it somewhere!

Stick with it Norberte. No-one here is going to judge (at least I hope not!).

As for weigh-ins, I expect there is all sorts of tricks. I think I read of one woman who used to go for a colonic irrigation before weigh-in. Yikes!

Elinda x

Hi Norbert

Persevere. OH has been dieting for 3 months now and lost quite a bit but for 3 weeks he stayed exactly the same without cheating. He got on the scales this morning and has lost 5 lbs this week.He has been a very happy chappy all day and was rewarded with a rather large piece of steak for his dinner tonight. Me? I lost 1/2 lb and just rewarded myself with 3 chocolates instead of 3 jaffa cakes.
Back to walking the little ones to school again next week so hope that will help.

Keep going, Good Luck

Andie

post deleted

post deleted