fatigue with rads

hi i have just done four weeks of rads and i feel completley shattered and dizzy has anybody else got these symtoms i also had a bad stabbing pain under my rib right hand side it happened in the night and then once in the day hope fully that is it just wondered if any one else had these symtoms
rose

Hi,

I have completed 10 (of 15) yesterday. I feel tired so am resting a lot. At my unit they said it was normal and would carry on for a couple of weeks afterwards while the body heals itself.

I have also completely lost my appetite. Did that happen to anyone else?

Lynda

i would n,t say i have completley lost my appeitite but not eating as much as i did before and also feeling depressed but i think this is because i feel so tired and just want to feel like i used to

I finished rads (15 sessions) two weeks ago and the tiredness hit me after I had finished, I felt pretty fine during rads and probably did way too much, I find it a chore to get going in the morning so am taking it easy now,not sure whether it’s the chemo or rads but my legs (especially my knees) ache sooo much. I agree I would just like to have the energy I used to have.

4 weeks post rads and not a lot of energy still. Went out to meet friends today and only managed a few hours. Went to a wedding reception Saturday night and I think I overdid it a bit. Hope I am more awake tomorrow.
X Sarah

Hi

Having worked all the way thru chemo, rads wiped me out. I only managed a couple of afternoons a week a work, none in the final week and then took 2 weeks off completely before starting back part time and building up.

I was told that the stabbing pains are quite normal too - they do wear off.

Hope everyone recovers quickly.
Dx

I have only had 6 out of 15 Rads so far. My appetite is good but I am feeling more tired but not sleeping well at night. Which is strange because I was sleeping very well before Rads started.

Is anyone else having problems sleeping?

thankyou all for your comments lakeslover i hope me going on hasn,t upset you at all as you are still going through it i have had a few nights were i haven,t slept to well but now its over sleeping better.hope that helps

sorry i mean,t to say supertrouper

Hi Girls
A year on from R/T now and what your all going through is pretty normal bless you all, Tiredness hit me during last couple of boosters and lasted about a month I also suffered with insomnia quite badly but it will get better, I think we underestimate how bad R/T affects us and the fact it keeps on working long after the treatment stops! so just be kind to yourselves and listen to your body, take good care Doz xx

Hi, I have had the same problems & its nice to know that i’m not going mad. Lost weight & feel sick when I eat, tired, chest pain & can’t sleep although so tired. I finished my rads last Friday so know its early days. But I never had a problem sleeping before. Hope you feel better soon. Take care Lisa xx

Thanks for that Doz. I was beginning to be worried about fatigue. Recovery isn’t linear either. I was ok on Saturday and thought I’d cracked it, but have been quite tired yesterday and today. Brief outings tired me. I am not sleeping that well either. Hopefully I will start to improve soon
X Sarah

I had zapping #7 tonight at 18:45 - and then onto a local pub for a pint or two and some food. Very nice too. I quite like the later zappings as it means my OH can come with me. Nearly half way there now and hoping for some sleep tonight. Skin seems to be holding out okay but I am tired! Did all the exercises on the moving forward DVD that BCC sent me and I will continue to do them every day.

Thank you Doz1949 for jumping in - it is so reassuring that what we are going through is “normal”

Deb

Hi everyone,

Glad that I found this thread! I too have been exhausted. I finished rads 2 weeks ago. I didn’t feel too bad during rads but it seems to have hit me now. I could hardly walk up to the end of the road to post a letter and get back home!!

Had a phone call to check if everything was going OK after rads and the nurse mentioned the fatigue, said it was normal afterwards.

Anyone know how long this lasts?

Hugs
Collette x

Hi Rainbow Dancer

Sorry to read you are feeling exhausted - but I know how you feel, I felt okay during rads and then the tiredness hit me afterwards. Its exactly four weeks since my last rads session and I can honestly say that it is only now that I have started to feel I have some get-up-and-go. Before this week it was an effort to get out of bed in the (late) morning and do very little except watch daytime TV.
It will get better.

S x

hi all
I finished RT 2 weeks ago, and sleep the afternoon away, wake up just in time for the second edition of loose women.

I was told this would happen, and would eventually pass.

all the best yvonne xx

Hi

I am 7/8 months post rads, and I still feel tired. I think it takes a long time to get back to “normal”, whatever that is. However, I am sleeping well at night and I do not wake up until 10.30 some mornings (I am retired and do not work). It does get better though and I am noticing the difference as time goes on. Some days I feel so energetic, but always overdo it, so the next day I am pooped!!! I just rest though and feel OK. Pace yourself. chris xx

I am very glad to have seen this - I was starting to think I had some sort of rare bird/pig flu or that my Tamoxifin was mucking up my body!
I managed to plod on reasonably well with day to day life (albeit shorter working hours) during Chemo & after surgery but now in my last week of a 3 week course of Rads I am well & truly done in!
I’ve not managed any work for a week now & the “fatigue” is horrendous. I’m suffering with dizzy spells (sort of like when you get the cotton wool feeling in your ears when you get flu & there’s sometimes a sort of “whoomping” feeling in the ears & you go dizzy(!), all my joints/bones ache & my appetite is very poor, which is bad news for me as I enjoy eating greatly, lol!
I will be very pleased when Monday comes as that is my last day of treatment - I have to say the 70 mile round trip I have to make for the Rads has really not helped either - it’s amazing how tiring just being a passenger in a car is!
X

Hi,

Like many I was also very tired with Rads. Please don’t believe it will stop instantly when you finish rads. Your body goes on dealing with them for at least 2 weeks afterwards. So prepare to be kind to yourself for at least that time, and accept that if you are tired it is your body telling you to rest. I am not trying to upset you, but to reassure you that this is normal.

I am now 3 weeks post rads, starting to feel better each day, but still have days when all I want to do is curl up on the sofa.

Lynda