fight or flight

adrenaline surges i think does anyone have this going on ,i seem to go from really calm to very anxious in a matter of moments,sometimes its like im looking through a window at someboy elses life,one moment i cant sleep the next im falling asleep in the chair,please tell me it gets easier, any tips on coping

might be better tomorrow when i find out my treatment plan, i hope so my heads all over the place,and im the strong one in the family who copes with everything,

Hi mad4cavs

I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences do talk things through with a memeber of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

What your feeling is totally normal and I have had various melt downs out of no where over the past few months! Like you I am the problem solver in our family, the strong one who Sorts everything out and feeling weak and needy is alien to me, but this diagnosis has floored me and I haven’t coped well at all, don’t try to be strong, get all the help you can and never be afraid to say I can’t cope and I need someone else to take control, thankfully my wonderful husband has done this for me and just kept me going, he’s made sure I’ve made every appointment and taken in all the info for me and asked all the questions as I’ve been a wreck, things do get easier, I’m a month post lumpectomy and starting rads in two weeks, you do learn to deal with it but I won’t pretend it’s easy, the waiting on results is the most brutal part as I’m sure most people will agree, you just need to know then you can process it and find a way to cope ? xxx

Hi mad4cavs

I am a control freak. I raised 3 sons, one in a wheelchair. I found the lack of control of what was happening to me, very difficult. I still do. In fact it got me to feel like I was imploding. And not to mention the anger. I saw a counsellor in the end and just by listening to me vent, she helped me sort out my head. She also gave me a breathing excercises to do,which help no end.

I am still having an anxious time waiting for more results.  They are now unsure which typed of cancer one of mine was - I have two types - and am awaiting results. I was operated on March 26th.

I would suggest checking your local area. Mine has a cancer charity centre which is where I received the counselling. They also offer living with lymphodeoma classes and tai chi. Group sessions, drop in mornings, all sorts. Perhaps there is something similar in your area. They are useful.