Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finances/working whilst having treatment

22 REPLIES 22
mary32

Re: finances/working whilst having treatment

Hi Charlie

That sounds great. I hope your fresh start works out well.

Mary

Charlie1000

Dear all
I hope everyone is feeling good and their return to work is getting easier. After an unbearable time at work, I have decided to leave! Have been there 13 years! Although have learnt that things change, people change and we have changed because of our experiences. So time for a change all round. Have got new job at lovely school with more money!! Feeling good and not wasting any time or negative energy on anything. Living and enjoying life. Ran Bupa 10km in London 2 weeks ago for Breast Cancer Care. Finished and cross the line hand in hand with my husband, who looked great in his pink breast cancer vest. Ran with 6 amazing friends. Moving on!! Good luck to everyone going thru difficulties at work. Remember you, your health and your future are the most important things. Xx
lawst

Thanks Charlie 1000 - I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one and have a lot longer time off than I was expecting. Probably loose my job - a colleague who had cancer on a temporary contract 3 years ago is still doing supply!
Charlie1000

Hi, hope you are feeling ok. I found all the travelling very hard with radio and when I went into school it was very hard trying to do a full days work in half a day. I actually felt worse about two to three weeks afterwards and am currently on a phased return which is half days. My HR dept dealt with all of it after my line manager said I was 'dictating the terms of my return ' - still has no understanding of employment guidelines. My advice is definitely take it as easy as you are able, as you don't really realise how much it takes put of you until it's all over.
bernadetteh

Keeks have you contatcted Mcmillain to see can they help you out with your travel expences to Hospital. I know on there forms it does say that they do things like that. It's worth you making contact with them. Good Luck x

keeks

I found out I had cancer after being unemployed for 3 months. Only 70 pounds a week, no help with the cost of 120 mile trips to hospital. Sometimes two times a week.

the stress of this means I cannot deal with my illness dealing with my claim for esa is a nightmare.  some days I wish I had not gone for screening at all.

HFK1234

Hi Fairyguardian

So sorry you are being given such a hard time from work.

I can't understand why they won't continue to pay you in full - what more exceptional circumstances do they want???

I've been signed off work and haven't asked them whether I will be paid in full or not, I don't want to bring the subject up! If they do decide to drop me to SSP, then I will have to accept it, but there's no way I can go back to work until I have recovered.

They haven't given me any hassle, just support, so I do feel really lucky. As if we're not stressed enough! I'm glad they've left you alone now.

I haven't looked into it, but if you are struggling financially, I think that the cancer charities can either help, or point you in the right direction of where to get financial help.

Take care!

H x
fairyguardian

wow, if only my employer was like that.  My cancer was confirm Tue 12th Nov 2013 on the Thursday had a phone asking me what my plan of action was and when I would be returning to work.  I went back the following Monday as I was booked in for a WLE 9th dec and continued to work until the Tuesday of the week before when they wanted to move me to another department and put me in training for the rest of the week, So i decided to take unpaid leave couldn’t see the point.  First sick note went in on 18th dec for 12 weeks as I had holiday days to use from the 9th dec or I would loss them.  the week after my op a text message from my manager asking me how I was and that HR wanted to do a home visit to support me back to work to which i told them where to go.  After various phone calls and text messages the final straw was when I received a letter sent the day after a Mastectomy telling me all about the consoling service they could offer to support me back to work, up until then the have a pot of money that allows them to continue to pay full pay to people under exceptional.  I sent them a letter after speaking with my BCN and consultant who advised me to point out that there continuous contact in pressurising me to go back to work was hindering my recovery and causing me undue stress.  I have received not further contact from the but it seems they have now decided that they can no long pay me full pay so am now on SSP a big drop each month but I don’t care my health is more important.

Sorry thats my rant over now

lawst

I too am a teacher and whilst my school is being very good - I am on a temporary contract and am worried about it not being renewed. I am an experienced teacher and are therefore expensive and have found getting work since returning from working abroad very difficult. I am worried that there are now two reasons not to give me a job, my pay level and the amount of sick leave taken. I am the main wage earner in the family and we can't manage without my wage. I love my job and give it my all. I work about 70 hours a week. Before treatment I tried to cut down on the amount of comments on marking etc., doing less detailed planning but was pulled up on this.  Does anyone think that I will be able to carry on with this and undergo radiotherapy?

mommabear

Hi I too am working whilst going through treatment due to being a single mum and not very good sic pay. I have had 4 operations in 7 weeks, lumpectomy, mastectomy, reconstruction and axillary sample for ductal cell only it also found lobular invasive so back to theatre to try shave wider margin from cancer. Thought that was it but haemorrhaged and back to theatre I went. I returned to work as a nurse and have continued throughout radiotherapy, blowing down my top and slapping on cream to my burnt chest inbetween patients. I made the descision to return due to finances but it has helped to get back to normal although times like this when nausea hits, my chest is on fire and am still awake at 3.30am and up at 7, are hard. My bosses whilst not having fantastic sickness package are very supportive as should everyones. As a teacher I hope you have the 6 months full and 6 months half pay so that financially the worry is less. As for your boss, you need to address the situation officially, this is bullying and harassment at the worst time possible. Occy health , your local education authority and Macmillan should all be able to help you. Good luck x

Katykookabura

Hi Charlie, like the others who have posted I am shocked that you have been treated like this. I am a County Councillor and if I thought any staff working for us had been treated this way I would be wanting some action taken. Can I suggest you get in touch with the Occupational Health Department for your County Council( I persume it is a state school.?.) You need their support and they will then liaise and inform your Headteacher that you should be on sick leave and tell them to back off!. I also think you are being"bullied" here and you have a case to take further if you wish?. Do you belong to the teachers union?. Another source of help to let them know what is happening.
One thing Cancer does it makes you prioritise what is important and your health and recovery should be top priority . Take care and put yourself first, Katy.
bumblegirl

Hi Charlie. I am so sorry to hear how you are being treated. Im glad your Dr has signed you off work but I still think this should be taken further and an official complaint put in. Xxx
Charlie1000

Thank you all so much for support. Went to work yesterday am and left at 11.30 to drive to hospital. Was told before I left that I should come back at 4 to cover a late study duty. Felt lie crying, so afer radio I went to doctor who signed me off work until after feb half term. Feeling relieved altho a bit nervous at how the news will be received at work. Thank you everyone xxx
Lakeslover

I agree wholeheartedly with the other replies and suggestions.

There is also a thread on here somewhere for teachers with BC. Perhaps the moderators could find it for you as other teachers may have helpful advice on how they coped, and routes to try.

mary32

Hi Charlie

I couldn't just read your post without replying. Your school sound absolutely horrendous and as for phoning you up every day, I am almost speechless, it is nothing short of harassment. It is a disgraceful way to treat someone. I would agree with the advice to seek advice from your union rep. Are you aware that you are covered under the equality act because of your cancer dx? To compare the amount of time you have had off with another colleague is completely inappropriate. Your recovery is the most important thing at the moment and everything else should take second place. 

I hope you are able to take the time off that you need and that your head understands this.

Take care.

Mary

HFK1234

Hi Charlie

I literally had to pick up my jaw when I read your post, I really cannot believe how badly you are being treated.

You must feel angry and isolated with this. I would totally agree with Mariecay about going for constructive dismissal - if that is the route you wanted to take.

At the very least, as Jo mentioned, please make sure you talk to someone about your rights.

She is discriminating against you and is treading a very thin line with her behaviour, she seriously should be disciplined for this.

I'm not sure how school structures work, but there must be someone who is above her that you can speak to - or go to the oc health/HR department to seek advise.

You should take a grievance against her to begin with, then see if this resolves the situation. If it doesn't, then it is her that is in the wrong and should be marched off!!!

Yes, your colleague may have been back at work quicker, but each circumstance is different. Each of us are different and deal with things in our own way.

I felt so angry for you when I read your post this morning and you've been in my thoughts. I think because it's my first day back today after two weeks off - I had a lumpectomy back on 9th Jan. I got a fit note from the doctor and asked her to tick the phased in section and reduced hours. I have also mad it perfectly clear to the company that I am not going to over do it or push myself.

I'm lucky as they have been fantastic - unfortunately, I'm my worst enemy!!

As a parent with school age children, I would be more than understanding if my children had a supply teacher, especially if the teacher is having treatment for cancer! And quite frankly, if the parents do have a problem with it, then tough!!! That's life - we are not robots, we get sick. You've been in your job for 12 years and I bet this is the first time you have had to take this sort of time off.

Then you've got to travel such long distances for the radiotherapy - please, please - if you are feeling sick and stressed, don't let her push you into going to work.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

H x

Fresia67

Charlie, I am so sorry that you are being treated so very badly at a time when understanding and compassion is all that's required. I would definitely take Jo's advice if i were you surely they cannot be allowed to get away with treating like this. 

I really feel for you and send you a big hug to hope you can get this sorted. Good luck xxx

Mariecay

Omg Charlie, disgusting, utterly disgusting! I have no other words! This vile excuse of a human being needs to have just a small taste of how we feel, without any medical intervention involved, just the sheer enormity of the affect just the word cancer has on someone. I feel ashamed for her and those who stand by her. I truly am disgusted. I am an employer and if I was you now I would stay on the sick and look towards perusing constructive dismissal. Please do not let this person drag you down and bully you into something your not ready for. You and your family MUST come first x
Jo_BCC

Hi Charlie1000

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  Please could I suggest that you give our helpline a call and talk to them about what you are going through.  They're here to support you through this. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.    Could I also suggest that you speak to your Occupational Health department at work and also your union and take some advice from them with regard to having time off for your treatment.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Charlie1000

So sorry to hear of the stressful time you are going through. I am a teacher who had 3cm lumpectomy
In late October and then obviously had to wait two weeks for lymph node results. Fortunately, cancer had not spread anywhere else, but felt so stressed with whole situation. Had operation on a Thursday and Head rang me on the Saturday to ask if I was back at work on the Monday! When I said I had been signed off for weeks she accused me of not caring about the children I teach. Had Los of fluid build up, which I had drained twice and GP advised me not to return to work for further two weeks. The pressure from school was unbearable - daily phone calls and comparing me with another colleague who had completed her treatment and was 'handling having cancer much better than me'
I asked doctor to change my certificate so I could go in and part time hours to et work for after
Xmas planned, but when I went in there was a massive pile of exam papers on my desk with a worse note asking me to mark them! After seeing oncologist I found out I would have radiotherapy starting in January. It was then implied at work that if my threat meant could start during half term in Feb it would e less disruptive for my class! My treatment started on wed 15th Jan and I have been trying to travel to hospital (60 mile round trip) and then get to work- a further 30 mile round trip. I am on my knees and feeling sick and very stressed. I had a phone call last week telling me that I should want to come in everyday and how would I like it if my daughters teacher was taking all this time off. My husband arranged a lovely family holiday over xmas, after operation and before rads started. I was I formed that this had 'offended' some people. Really really stressed and literally want to leave the job I have loved for the last twelve years. Sorry rant over but reading your post made me realise that there are many uncaring people around!
bumblegirl

Hi sans. I completely agree. Its disgusting. My mum works for Morrison's and they have been brilliant. She gets nine weeks full sick pay and hopefully that's all she has to have off but luckily if she needs more time off I live with her so can give her more rent money to help. No one should have to worry about their finances when they are battling any illness! Xx
HFK1234

Hi Sans61

I just stumbled upon your post and am in full agreement.

I am going through this worry at the moment, on top of worrying about my health and treatments.  I started with my company back in November on a fixed term contract.  I've just had my lumpectomy, but don't know whether I have to go on to have further surgery or radiotherapy, everything is up in the air at the moment.

If I do have to have radiotherapy, I will be expected to try and continue to work, both by pressures at home and finances and at work.  Out of everything that is going on, work and finances is the one thing that I'm most worried about.  In fact, if I were to die from cancer, my family would be better off as they would get the insurance money.  Well, I'm not going to die from cancer, so I have to face the harsh reality of trying to keep my head above water, or trying to work around my treatment.

I really shouldn't have to worry about work, in the grand scheme of things, it should be way way down on my list of priorities, but then what option do I have?  They can't sack me, I'm aware of that.

They may turn around and give me the time off, paid, but as I was only there for five minutes before getting my diagnosis, I doubt it. Anyway, we shall see.

Thanks for posting and allowing me to rant with you!

H x

Sans61

finances/working whilst having treatment

Hi Ladies,

i was ready a number of postings about working whilst having treatment, i was horrfied that a number of ladies are continuing to work because of finances ie no sick pay. i know some people want to work and feel able to manage however no one with the dreaded Cancer should HAVE to return when they are not well enough.you would think in 2014 there would be some kind of provision for people with this horrible illness to be able to recover at home until fit enough to return,  reading some of the posts made me feel so sad and extremly angry familes have enough to cope with without worrying about money Smiley Sad

im not in work at this time as the company i work for want me to stay home until i have completed my treatment for which i receive full pay they have been amazing sending flowers, inviting me into office for a cuppa and chat i feel blessed to be working for such a fantastic company LLamau LTD.

sorry for rant