finished chemo

hi all

i finished my chemo, 3 fec and 3 tax, 2 wks ago
was in hospital last week with low bloods and was for 5 days after xmas too

i still feel absoloutly rubbish
sometimes need the anti sick tablets, legs very achey, exhausted just walking upstairs,red patches on hands and face,and eyes still constantly running from no eyelashes

that was a big moan wasnt it lol

i know its early days but i start rads next week and i cant even do the school run yet

tell me it gets better?
i thought id be feeling so up from finishing the nightmare chemo but im not

Oh I am sure you will feel much better soon once it has worked it’s way through your system - I am due to take my last chemo on Friday and hope to feel better by Easter.

Just think of how far you have come and also - importantly - the fact that chemo does work :slight_smile:

Thinking about you and sending a hug if you need it xx

Hello Lincs lady - felt I had to say just hang on in there - I reckon the hard part is over - I am 6 months post chemo and I am sure you will be feeling more like your old self very soon- it took me a couple of weeks after the last blast - still get a bit tired, but work full time and am a single mum to and 11 year old so guess I’d be tired whatever! I feel there are little milestones that are marking my recovery like having enough hair to ditch the wig, then having my first haircut (last week hooray). I am due to see my Onc in 2 weeks and am optimistic he will also be happy with my progress. So give yourself a pat on the back - each day is a day closer to finishing all your treatment and you are doing great ! Very best wishes x

Good grief - go easy on yourself! It takes a while to start coming round after chemo (and everything else)and you’ve still got rads to go and that can make you really tired.

I read somewhere that as a general guide it takes one month for every month of treatment before you feel anything resembling normal energy levels etc. It was pretty accurate for me. After finishing chemo and then rads in Jan 09 it was a few months before I really felt better.

I think we all look forward to the end of active treatment (not including hormone therapy etc)thinking that we will magically feel 100% better straightaway, but it takes time.

Take it easy.

Mal x

Mal, youre absolutely right - most other people also think that once the chemos finished, thats it and you should be right as rain again, almost immediatly. I like the “month for month” analagy, it certainly took me about that time to feel more like myself last time round.
Lincs lady - you are only 2 weeks after your last lot and have had 5 days in hospital too - just remember what your body (and mind) has gone through over the past few months, why on earth should you be “ok” again so soon. I think youll start to feel better when the time comes when you would have been due to have your chemo - thats when youll suddenly realise that youre not having anymore and that will put a smile on your face :slight_smile: And dont worry about the rads - compared to having chemo its absolutely fine!

Hope you start to feel better with every day, im sure you will

K x

Hi there Lincslady
Congrats on finishing the chemo, that is brilliant!

I think you need to give youself some time now, your body has been through one hell of an ordeal (and your mimd for that matter!) so two weeks is nothing to regain some of your energy levels etc, plus you have been in hospital too!

Give yourself some ‘me time’ now and be kind to yourself…you deserve it!

Naz x

I hate to tell you this but i couldn’t walk up the staires unless i was all fours for about 6 weeks after fec and tax and walking any distance at all about 8-10 weeks. Don’t try to rush things, each day is a step closer to feeling ‘normal’ again but you need to give your body a chance to recover from the hell it’s been through.

Gina xx

Hi linkslady

Just want to echo what everyone else has said - be good to yourself!!
Great to have finished chemo now give your body a chance to recover you have been through so much.

I remember my lack of eyelashes really got me down with the constant running and not being able to use my mascara but they grew in really quickly. I also was more stiff and sore at the end of chemo than I had been during!

Sending hugs and hope each day finds you a bit more like yourself and summer is on it’s way so lovely to look forward to when you are able to enjoy it.

Love Anne xx

Hi linkslady

I have just finished chemo had my last one yesterday and hyped up to the hilt,

You must give yourself time to recover, I spoke to the chemo doc yesterday, and she said it could take up to a year for your energy levels to recover as they where prior to chemo, so please don’t be hard on yourself and look after yourself in-between time, I know I am

Best Wishes Ann x