first chemo

Hi im new to this …please go easy on me

Im on my first lot of chemo and not coping well at all . im  a former emetaphobic , i had hypno which cured the fear years ago but after living like that till 30 plus it still worries me some especially at times like this.

I know there are so many more awful side effects to come yet and they also worry me. so far im battling the nausea …taking the tablets given and eating all the nibbly things when i can . drinking enough too. I also woke in the night with dead pic line arm so that sent me into a panic but spoke with nurses and all moving and fine now. im also having tummy jabs every day atm too…unpleasant but ok.

also the deppresion and tears that come with it random over hair going, feeling a mess, and feeling totoally unlike me and pretty useless in every way dosnt help. My 13 year old son keeps me going but seriously 5 more to go …can i really do it ?

Im a positive person in all but this is already killing my soul.

but saying all that im most grateful i have a lifeline and hope at the end of it unlike so many .

feel guilty ranting  

Hi Bev,

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this and hope you’re feeling a bit more settled now, x

im just finishing with the side effects of chemo 4 and it is doable but there has been a point in each round when I’ve felt that I couldn’t keep going. 

The first one is the worst as it is so unknown. For the next one you can go in with a plan - knowing what to expect at each stage, getting better meds for the side effects and physcologically it is easier. 

There is lots of help out there - have you tried your GP or BC nurse for counselling ? Maggies and Macmillan can do the same and breast cancer care have a helpline during the day. 

Take care and be good to yourself - you will fin inner strength that you could not imagine. Big hugs, xxxx

Bev,

Rant away!! Don’t feel guilty at all. It isn’t easy, losing hair feeling rubbish etc all sadly part of the plan. But it sounds like you are doing the right stuff.

Would just suggest taking each cycle 1 at a time, try not to think of whole lot. Also on days when you feel okish try to do something nice…lunch out / day trip etc. Just be kind to yourself and rant away on here…fab site. Would suggest also joining monthly link…having people going through at same time might help.

Deffo keep talking to the nurses…mine were ace. I literally had final cycle yesterday. I did FEC T. for me, first of each set was hardest, body has brand new drugs clobbering it! Read the SE list to know what might happen, but don’t assume you will get the lot. It is tough, but ask for support and you will get it. Any problems call medical team early and they will help…your medical cabinet will look amazing!! Just be kind to yourself Bev and deffo book in that hug xx

Hi Bev lm new too. I start my chemo next Tuesday. I’ve had the pre chemo chat and I’m scared to death. I have bottles of alcohol gel around my house dettol sprays bleach , I’m paranoid about getting an infection. Feel like a victim. Every intervention I’ve had recently has been problematic. Hope you are feeling a little better. Xx

Hazel…bless ya horrible isn’t it! Ok when things went that way…I had toast, bananas etc. And got laxido when nothing happened! Keep drinking plenty of fluids and talk to hospital team if you haven’t already…11 days is a bit much. Plus keep an eye on temp.

It’s so lovely to speak to someone with same aged child. Yes, my first cycle went pretty well, with minimal side effects. 2nd one Weds so this week I’ve been enjoying being out and about and fitting in loads with my daughters. Same as you though, Dad been doing loads with them. My hair has started to fall out today and although I originally thought I’d deal with that quite well, I have had a tear or two to say goodbye to my lovely long hair. Again, like your daughter, mine too has been involved with some charity work through her school. All in all, both of them being very mature and brave. So lovely to get your reply. Thank you x

<Empty imported post>