first visit to hospital

hi, i went to the hosp today after finding a breast lump three weeks ago. really nice and honest professor. he said they found calcium in my breast that was more of a concern than the lump. had to have a vacuum assisted biopsy and insisted the nurse fits me in on fri even tho the appts were full not really sure whats happening or what the calcium means can someone please shed some light on this. personally im feeling ok and positive. and best wishes to everyone who uses this site xx

Hi wendywoo

Sorry you’ve had to join in, but just wanted you to know that you are not alone and we’ve all been in that waiting room.

I had calcium deposits, so just wanted to give you some more info.

Quote from Macmillan website - 'Calcifications are small areas of calcium and are very common - there are two types - macrocalcifications and microcalcifications.

Macrocalcifications are harmless. They are not linked with cancer and do not need any treatment or monitoring. Microcalcifications are not usually due to cancer. In a small number of cases, however, a group of microcalcifications seen in one area (a cluster) may be a sign of pre‑cancerous changes in the breast or of an early breast cancer.’

So you see - chances are your calcium deposits will be nothing.

I had a stereotactic biopsy which sounds like the vacuum assisted biopsy(?)you will have on Friday and although it’s a bit uncomfortable you will be fine. If these desposits of calcium are cancerous it’s all very early and is very treatable.

Keep feeling positive and good luck on Friday - keep us posted. Also, The helpline here is really good at answering any concerns you may have.

Rachelx

thanks very much rachel now have an idea what im talking about as no one seems to have heard of it! had my biopsy today just like a thin drill !had a laugh with doc he sed he was surprised i found the lump as im so well endowed haha certainly lightened the mood bit sore now with my stiches but “i will survive” lol will put an update on fri wen i get results again thanks wendy x