cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free flap breast reconstruction

2 REPLIES 2
Poppy3

Re: free flap breast reconstruction

Dear d1zzy22. Sorry I did see your post a couple of days ago, but haven't had chance to reply until now. I had a single mx in June 14 and then in Dec 14 decided to have a LD Flap which uses your back muscle. I'm not a vain person but just wanted to look as normal as I could in the circumstances. Every time I looked at my mx scar it was a reminder I had BC. Although I did read up on it I wasn't sure how it would look. I just knew I needed something there. So, in Dec I had 4 days in hospital following my op and then was allowed to go home. I didn't really have any pain in my back where muscle and skin was taken although I have a big scar, where it was painful for me was under my arm which I used to the "junction of where everything happened" I not going to lie it was a painful few months and BHS stretch bras became my best friend. I would say it was about 4 months for everything to feel normal again. For me the result far out weighed the pain. It has given me my confidence back and it helps me to try and forget whats happened. I've just had a nipple recon but it hasn't been revealed yet! Hope this helps and if you want to chat more happy to help just didn't want to make it a too lengthy reply! xx

Anna_BCC

Re: free flap breast reconstruction

Dear dizzy22

I am sorry that you have not recieved any responses yet and wondered if you had considered getting in touch with our Someone like me service?  This is where you would be matched with a volunteer who has similar experiences and diagnosis as you.  Please give them a call 0345 077 1893 or send them an email someonelikeme@breastcancercare.org.uk.  Mor information can be found on the Someone like me service information page.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

d1zzy22

free flap breast reconstruction

Hi, I am at the 5 yr point post dignosis following lumpectomy, full node clearance, chemo and radiotherapy and breast abscesses that took 3 yrs to heal. I've had 11 breast surgeries including 4 or 5 stem cell lipofill. I now have a deformed left breast half the size of the right.
Consultant referred me to plastic surgery for free flap reconstruction. I have had to lose 3 stones, only 6lbs to go and have next appointment with plastic surgeon in about 3 weeks.
I would like to hear from someone who has had the surgery. I know it involves full mastectomy and skin is taken from the lower tummy, basically will get tummy tuck which is handy as following the weightloss have a nice saggy loose tummy, I know this is big surgery and it can fail badly, so I would like to hear from anyone with successful or failed surgery to get a better picture of what to expect. Did they have both breasts reconstructed to hopefully achieve a matching set, or was it just one breast? What results they have got when everything settles down eventually and how long this took realistically?
Gosh I want lots of information don't I!
I am 53 and was widowed summer 2014 and just want to be comfortable with my body, and maybe in the future have another relationship.I'm not in any hurry but would at least have more body confidence having even breasts, I know that I may even be worse than I am now, but am willing to risk this to get to the end of my journey and feel it's on my terms, thanks in advance, Bev x