getting scared now

Diagnosed last Thursday,1an half centimetre hard lump,grade 3 invasive ductual cancer. Have my op on 25th to remove lump,plus my lymph glands,Still hasnt sunk in yet,but i am so scared fearing the unknown .

Hi Mandolinwind

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums. I am sure you will get lots of help and advice from the many informed users of this site.

You may find BCC’s resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed. The pack is free of charge as are all our publications. If you would like a copy just follow the link below:
breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi
I joined the forum last week when I was diagnosed with a small lump. I am listed for WLE and node biopsy on the 28th. I have found everyone on here very friendly and helpful

A friend who has been through this in 1997/8 (and is fine now) has given me a small elephant 5 inches high with a label attached saying " Don’t forget, Elephants should be eaten slowly, one bit at a time"

All the best

Angela

Hey Mandolinwind,
welcome to the club nobody wants to join, I am sorry you have had to visit us but please be assured we are all here for you.

I was diagnosed on 7th April with exactly the same as you, I had a WLE and node clearance, the op itself wasn’t that bad, yes I had restricted movement but with the exercises I now have full movement.
I just want to wish you all the best and feel free to rant, cry, moan and laugh on here. Laughter is the best tonic, I know right now there are a million things going through your head but as angela says one bit at a time.

Angela - you seem so strong already, I wish you luck for the 28th and like I said feel free to rant etc as much as you want.

Love and hugs
L
xoxo

Thanks Angela,nice to know i am not alone, My head is all over the place at the moment,still not cried yet, but feel like i am trying to be strong has not to upset my loved ones as much, weird isnt it? Been to hospital today to sign consent forms. Anethiest on holiday this week.so got to go back again Monday,then be at hospital for 7 am Friday, cant beleive i have to be there that early but true. They say i should be home either Sunday,or Monday,if i have to go home with a drain,they say a district nurse will come daily to empty it. I just wish i could wake up and it would all be over,but know that wont be the case,but knowing i am not alone helps a little,Thanks for sharing about the Elephant lol, i will keep that in mind. I too wish you luck for the 28th take care x

Leeloo, Thanks for the welcome, i dont feel so alone already, Glad to hear you are doing so well.Have you got to have any further treatment ? take care x

Hi Madolinwind

Sorry you are joining us, but you will receive fantastic support from the many ppl here. I was dx in Jan, luckily I was grade 1 with no lymph nodes involved. WLE and node sampling then 6+ weeks of rads, now on tamoxifen for 5 years.

The fear of the unknown is the worst part, once you are in treatment and you know what is happening it does get easier. The best advice I can give is to take one step at a time and deal with what is happening now before moving on to the next step. Also be careful about how much research you do at this stage - there is so much information available and it is way too easy to read the wrong stuff and scare youself rigid.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Love Lilac

hi Lilacblushes,Thanks for youre advice, I am trying to think positive,and trying to carry on as normal,but its not easy,as you probably know. just want to get op over and done with now. Glad to hear you are doing well,and yes i will definatly keep you all informed of my progress, take care x

hello Mandolinwind
like everyone else, we welcome you into the group – while at the same time being sorry that you need to be here. I guess all I can add is that the treatment can be harsh, but it is doable. We are stronger than any of them.

I was dx in February, grade IIIb, 4 cm tumor, right breast; had chemo first. 4 rounds of adriomycin and cytoxin, then 2 rounds of taxotare. then we found out the tumor was not reacting to chemo (go figure!!!). So last week had mastectomy; just one side. I feel sore but so much better that it is gone. GONE!!

Have my follow ups next week with both surgeon and oncologist…so will see whats in store then.

This is a wonderful forum. So many wonderful, intelligent women here who are so ready to help out. So be yourself and stay strong. We’ll all be talking you through it till you are on the other side and treatment is done!

hugs
Emily
xxx

Hi Mandolinwind,

I had exactly the same as you, diagnosed in April. I’m now into chemotherapy, found the surgery fairly straightforward to recover from.
Try to think of everything you go through as just one more step to recovery. Mentally tick it off. Diagnosis - tick. Op - tick. Home again - tick. Drain removed - tick. Results - tick. Treatment - tick each one off as you go. Hang on to the fact that many others have been there before you and have come out of the other side.
I’m 35 with a 7 and 4 year old, and the first time I cried was when I went into hospital the day before the op. I had held it all together for the kids until then, and it was only when I saw the bed, and my husband was about to leave, that I realised how scared I was. I had never had an operation before, and I was more scared of the anaesthetic than anything - like you said - it’s the unknown. But for the surgeon, and the breast care team, it is very much routine for them, very much the known. Even chemotherapy seems far less scary now, because I know what’s happening and I can see the end of the tunnel - even if it’s after radiotherapy, round about February!

Good tip Angela, see it as an elephant. One bite at a time.

lots of love,

Katie
xx

Thanks Emily Jane,and Katieo, iam getting strengh from reading about everyone elses stories on hear,So glad i came on to this forum, We are all at different stages,but i notice we all have one thing in comon,to fight this dreaded demon,and not let it beat us. Its amazing how we find the strengh,We are all stronger than we think. Just like to wish every one else,good luck in their battles,God bless you all,you are all in my thoughts and prayers. love Mandolinwind x

Hi Mandolinewind,
I was diadnosed last July with a 16mm grade 3 invasive ductal virtually same as you, I have had 4 EC chemo and 4 Taxotere then op to remove lump, 2nd op for wider margins and all nodes removed. Bit of a pain I had a seroma that would not clear so had to have 3rd op, but I know that is unusual, I am having rads at moment and on Tamoxifen for 5 years as I was pre-menopausal.
Any way enough about me, totally agree with others advice, try and take each bit as it comes and not too look to far ahead, I am amazed that it has been a year since my diagnosis and I am nearly done. Had few hiccups on they way but feel fine now. Ask what you like on here, any worries or talk about things that upset or concern you cos sometimes you might find it difficult with family as you often try and protect them.
I love the elephant advice made me laugh.

Take care and good luck to both you and Angela with your ops.
Dawn x

Hi Mandolinewind

Will be thinking of you on Friday - all the best.

Angela

Not been on hear for a couple of days, so just like to say thanks Dawncr, for youre support,my head really is all over again at moment. Cant think straight, being clumsy,its like playing on my mind 24/7 I wish you good luck in youre recovery,take care Mandolinwind x

Hiya Kharga, i will be thinking about you on 28th too,thanks so much for support,Are you getting scared now?I am terrified.let me know how you go on,take care Mandolinwind x

Have got my bag packed - along with a couple of books on CD so that I can go to sleep while listening!

At least you will be out when I go in!!

Good luck!

Angela

Good luck for Friday Mandolinwind, keep it going there and sending lots of cyber hugs!

Had to go again today,went yesterday, and because i have Emphysema,had to go back again today for a lung function test,Anethiest insisted,got that over and done with ,gonna try and take it easy now till Friday,Ithink thats why am worried so much about opperation,with having a bad chest.But at least they doing their job right ,insisting i had to go today.Not packed my bag yet lol,Hope youre sleep returns to normal soon Kharga,i too love my sleep,Has i am coming home i will be thinking of you going in. take care x

Peacock ,Thanks for good luck wishes ,and cyber hugs,good luck to all on hear god bless us all x

Wishing both of you all the very best for your ops…it will feel so good to get it over with.

Maggie x