given three days of after lumpectomy and snb.

I have my op on the 2nd of September which is a Monday and my boss as put me back on to work that weekend. Surely this can’t be right. Bcn said id need six to eight weeks off. Please help??

hi there, have just been diagnosed myself yesterday and am wating for my op date for the same procedure as you. I am currently off work anyway with stress as my mum really poorly and when I spoke to my GP after seeing the consultant she just said she would continue my sicknote indefinitely. I guess it depends on your job and how you react to everything, I’m a theatre nurse and work have been really supportive over my recent time off and after speaking to my manager today I am assured they will continue to be.
I would see what others on here say but if you really feel you can’t go back to work that quickly maybe speak to your GP and get signed off?
be strong and look after yourself, xxx

I had a wle and as I discharged I was given a two week sicknote. Then just before that ran out I went back to the docs and got another one. Lots of people go back between 2-6 weeks but everyone is an individual. I think you will need to speak to your boss to let them know you could be off for up to 6 weeks.Good luck xxx

Hi badjafa, your boss obviously does not understand the full impact of your op. It is not just the physical side of having a operation but the mental stress of dealing with it and the fact you are dealing with a serious illness.
See your GP and get signed off. Talk to your breast care nurse or the nurses on this site and get their advice also.
i am sure a lot of people have NO IDEA what it is like to be diagnosed with a life threatening illness. Sounds like your employer is one of those people.
The main thing is too look after yourself especially in these early stages and get your op over with so you can move on. Take care of yourself, best wishes, Katy.

I was off for a month after my Wle. I work for a high st retailer so there is lifting involved in my job. The 4th week was only because i had had my 1st chemo sess the week before, and i continued to work throughout my treatment taking only my treatment weeks off. However a colleague my mine went off after diagnosis and didn’t return for 26 weeks, everyone is different and we all have our own ways of dealing with it, mine was to continue as normal as possible! x I dictated to the BC and not the other way round!! Good Luck xx

Hi, from an employement point of view, assuming that you are in the UK.
If your doctor signs you off, you cannot work - whatever your boss says, even if you want to - it would invalidate your companies insurance and completly in breech of basis H&S rules.
However, they are under no obligation to pay you - this will depend on your contract.
Please keep any messages, emails and so on… You may need them later.
Any half decent company will be trying to look after you at the moment, if they are stupid enough to dismiss you, you will clean them out in a Tribunal.
Let me know what happens, everything is on your side on this one.