Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got to have chemo

12 REPLIES 12
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: got to have chemo

hi everyone
i had 3 fec and 3 taxotere i found the tiredness very hard to cope with and also i put on alot of weight
my doctor put me on antidepressants to help me,i didnt want to take them at first but i did for 3 months and think it helped.
i lost my hair and bought a lovely wig but never felt comfie in it,i wore buffwear head scarves that i got on line they were great and came in all colours.my chemo finished in march and my hair is growing back quickly,and its so soft.
i wore the cold cap for 5 treatments and found it very uncomfortable bcn advised me to get my hair cut be for treatment started as that helps a bit with hair loss,my hair started to dome out a few days befor second treatment,and it was from the top of my head it grew into a huge bald patch i think that it depends alot on the shape of your head and how well the cap fits,
i didnt get any pain just a weird feeling in the top of my fingers sort of felt like they were frozen and starting to defrost.
my advise to anyone starting chemo is to listen to you body and rest when your tired,also i found ginger biscuits helped
with the sicky feeling.
well good luck to everyone is anyone in the berkshire or buckinghamshire area
sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Im looking at wigs already.... someone on this site recommended www.headcovers.com they seem really good. and the prices are good. Good luck with your chemo on the 4th I will be right behind you!!! mine will start around then I think...

Guest user
Not applicable

I just found out tday my chemo starts 2 weeks tday,so 4th of sep.my main worry is the hair loss too,suppose its a woman thing with their hair.Dont know how soon wigs will be discussed with me either.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you sooooo much for all your replys... You have all put my mind at ease... when you her a horror story it sticks in your mind.. and it frightnened me so much.... Oh well, I am still a bit worried.... I will be ok after my first session.... see the oncoligist on tuesday.....
love jill xx

Sam_BCC

Hi Jillymac

As well as the support and information you are receiving from the other forum users you might find it useful to have a look at the BCC booklet on chemotherapy. It can be found by following the link below:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/chemotherapy_07_web_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jillymac,

you can drive yourself mad researching stuff and looking at all the possible bad side effects! I know I did, it's difficult but probably better to wait until you know what chemo you will be on.

Very rarely does there seem to be any complaints of pain and, in the whole, most of us seem to be able to cope with the treatment. It's no walk in the park but really, not as bad as I imagined it could be.

Good luck, it's such a difficult time for you now, before you really know what's going to happen. I found the fear worse than the drug in the end!

Lots of cuddles to you!!!
Gillian

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I have just finished 3 FEC and 3 Taxotere. Never been sick or even mildly felt sick. If the anti sickness drugs do not work for you the first time - there are more so don't suffer in silence.

Fatigue is the main side effect and you must sleep! I personally had side effects from day 3-7 then I was back to normal.

There is a thread called 'top tips for chemo' which is fantastic and although quite long to read - it is a must. I will bump it up for you.

I hope all goes well for you and remember - chemo is DO-ABLE

Anita

horace

I had pain on one of my taxotere cycles and had to get GP to come it was controlled with painkillers and was only bad on that one cycle.Honestly pain isnt a major factor-exhaustion can be though.Vx

Guest user
Not applicable

dear jillynac

Absolutely no pain at all, I can assure you. I really don't think many people experience any pain. Mostly they just feel tired (a bit like having flu) and/or nausea. I felt sick the first couple of days the first time, but this vanished after they changed my anti-sick meds to Ondansetron. I wasn't sick once, and apart from a few days each cycle, and feeling tired from time to time I pretty much did most things I would normally do, including going on holiday.

best wishes

Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jillymac
sorry you have to join us but you will get lots of help and support through your chemo. We all have lots of questions and fears but there will always be plenty of help.
I have done FEC 6 mths, capecitabine 2 yrs and taxol 18 treatments. I have found the best anti sickness is ondancetron( never once been sick) but my goodness does it bung you up! Energy levels vary for us all so if you feel tired rest dont push yourself. Hair loss, I found this heart breaking the first time, second time had hair cut really short, still found it sad. Used plenty of e45 cream on hands and feet. Head felt really cold in bed so put on those towelling things.
Wont bore you any further but it is do able good luck.

Love Debsxxx

chebsy13

Hi Jillymac - not sure which regime you will be on but I'm on FEC -had two lots - my worst side effect has just been total tiredness for first week - no pain, no sickness - it really is do-able as I was advised on this site when I had worries - I just feel KAAT (Knackered All The Time) for first week and gradually progress to being BAAB (Bright As A Button) before next treatment.

Do use this site for asking advice etc or just to let rip with fury or tears - it is an emotional roller coaster and it really does help to know you are not alone - let us know how you get on with oncy - and good luck
Hugs x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi There Jilly,

I had 6 rounds of Fec chemo that ended 03 Jan 08. I personally was quite scared also but didnt find it that bad.
I think that its probably different for everyone. I always vomited a few times on day one ( my anti sickness pills didnt work for me) I then had mild nausea for a few days and then was sometimes tired. I have 2 small children and managed everything else ok. Lots of people offered help but I am quite independent and dont like to put on to people. My OH Auntie was really kind and sent around lots of Stews, Pies and cakes because sometimes you just cant face cooking so that was a real help.

I didnt have any pain just mild joint aches that didnt even warrant any painkillers. Please dont worry as all your treatments will be over before you know it and you WILL get through it. If you need more advice then there is always someone on here how knows how you are feeling.

Best of wishes to you
Love Andrea x

Guest user
Not applicable

got to have chemo

can anyone reassure me... got my results yesterday, had a cancer lump in my breast. had that removed. they told me that was clear but the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes they took out 10 and 3 contained cancer.
therfore having chemo got to see the oncoligist next week I am really scared...
having chemo asap.. I have heard that there is pain with chemo.. please can somebody that has had the treatment tell me if there is pain or how they felt I am sooooooooo worried.....