Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hair (lack of)

10 REPLIES 10
Jules68

Re: hair (lack of)

Hi Ladies

I too have started chemo and hair loss I thought would not be an issue. The big thing for me is the cost of head coverings so thank you Laurie the site you have posted looks amazing!!!!

Julie x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies I just wanted to jump in here and let you know of something which may or may not be helpful. I lost my hair for the second time just before Christmas (first time was in 2009 - and yes it does come back, really quickly too. I'd managed to get mine to almost shoulder length). First time round I went with wigs and scarves which I hated so this time I opted for a hair replacement 'system' which is essentially a real hair wig with a much thinner base that is glued on. You can wash and blow dry as normal and you just go back every 3-4 weeks to have it removed and reattached. It's expensive - 2 pieces have cost me £2,500 - and it's really not for everyone but it's been the best money I've ever spent as I don't have to look at my bald head every day and I feel normal. I now have very long, very thick hair and unless you were looking very closely at the hair line thees no way you'd ever know. Like I said its definitely not for everyone and my own situation is that I have secondaries so my hair is unlikely to come back as I'm likely to be on some form or hair loss drug probably forever but having real hair has made such a difference this time round. If anyone's interested send me a message and I can point you in the direction of the place I had mine done.

BerthaB

Hi Girls,

I did not shave mine. Was a bit sensitive on the scalp while it fell out. Other than that not too bad. Ended up with a tuft at the front and some at the back which eventually fell out.

My hair has now started to grow back but.....

I have one original long hair left I call it Samson ...

This Hair has stayed with me through 8 sessions of Chemo and 2 months of Surgery...

Will be quite sad when it finaly falls out.

Bertha B.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi angelfish

I shaved mine all off too after it started to fall out on chemo. I finished chemo in November and almost have a full covering. It came back quite quickly at the sides and the back and is just starting to join up now at the top. The front hairline has been the slowest. Still looks like owl fluff but getting darker!

One of the things you will probably notice is how cold your head gets. I sleep with cotton hats on which I got from http://www.muslimbase.com for only 99p each! They are lovely and soft and ideal for sleeping in and also good for hot flushes as they are not too heavy. Hope I'm allowed to mention that. I could do what they do on the BBC and say, "Other cap shops are available!"

Good luck

Laurie x

supertrouper

I used clippers to cut my hair short and then used my lady shave to remove the rest. I felt better afterwards because I had taken control of when my hair would go. It's 9 weeks since my last Tax and my hair is returning but it will be while until I can ditch the wig. I got a lovely wig on prescription with nothing to pay and last week got a second wig referral as I mentioned to my BCN that it was looking tatty.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Laydeez

I got my OH to buzz it off once it started to come out in handfuls. Gotta say that once i took the plunge i actually found it rather liberating and was great not to be on constant hair-watch !! Did look abit like Matt Lucas once the eyebrows and lashed thinned tho....

Am now at post chemo by 2 months and its growing back at a ridiculous rate..faster than Linford Christie ( showing my age here) but no sign of my pre-chemo curls yet and sooooo grey. BUT its hair !!

Good luck, girls. I know how tough it is.....keep the faith : )

Madge x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you so much everyone for your comments not known for my patience have taken my electric razor to it then started crying half way through cos was a complete baldy hubby finished it me thanks Silver i might do that too as is still a little bristly but loads better thank you Cackles too yeah didnt think it would bother me either till i saw my poor baldy head but we havent got a choice so off it came thank you for the hugs ladies very much appreciated tight hugs back xx and thank you Lucy will take a look at your link now

Lucy_BCC

Hi angelfish

I am posting a link to the BCC 'Breast cancer and hair loss' booklet which you may find helpful at the moment:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-cancer-hair-loss-bcc5...

Take care
Lucy

Cackles

I just shaved my head....the rest just happened in the bath I think!!!!
Thinking of you , it is such a traumatic thing to lose your hair. Harder than I thought. Mine is coming back now thank goodness ( finished chemo in December). I look like Gollum or a baby monkey with hair on end . The colour is changing from Cruella Deville to Dalmation....but it is there!!!!!!
Hugs
Cackles

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angel

I personally shaved the lot off. I even took the wet razor to it and went smooth as my head was so sensitive I couldn't bear it. It is now coming back through and I have an even coverage. Hope this helps you to make your decision.

Hugs Silver x

Guest user
Not applicable

hair (lack of)

Wonder if anyone can help might be stupid question. But just shaved my head as hair was coming out in handfuls dint fancy shedding over my grandsons do I leave the rest to come out itself or shave it?