Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hairy face

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted

Re: hairy face

Hi Woody,

Sideburns! now you're talking......just call me Humperdink!

Let me know when things improve & I'll do likewise.

Little H x

Highlighted

hello all,I`m another with H.F.S.,thank God the hair is white or I`d look like a werewolf. I think its so noticeable because the chemo burnt any fluffy hairs off my face,so for a few months,my skin was really silky and shiny that has made the growth I have now seem worse and my side burns are nearly to my collar bone. I`m glad to read that it will eventually go `cos I`m too much of a coward to do anything about it, cheerio love Mags x

Highlighted

Yep,hairy face syndrome has got me too.I finished chemo 25th June & I'm now halfway through rads. I've about three quarters of an inch of hair on my head,unfortunately reckon about the same on my visage!!

OH says he can't see anything & a couple of girlfriends say the same,but I'm telling you when that sunlight hits my chin through the bathroom window in the morning my whole face glows with downy blond hairs.
Bcn said I had a problem with body image???? No,really!

I'm not taking any hormones etc as I'm triple neg,so can only assume it's the chemo.I'm trying to be patient & see if it goes,had hoped this hideous windy day would blow some of it off.....no such look.

Ah well,think I'll just avoid mirrors for a while.

Love Little H

Highlighted

It's me again with the hairy face! As the problem has, so far, not disappeared of its own accord I have now tried threading and waxing. The threading was extremely painful during the process and my face stung for days afterwards and was red and blotchy. The waxing was less painful when it was done, but was itchy afterwards and, again, red and blotchy for a few days. It looks like I have extremely sensitive skin. Aloe vera gel was applied after the treatments. I had a patch test to make sure I wasn't allergic to the Aloe vera gel, so it's not that. Any ideas, girls, on what I can try next in the way of hair removal?

Highlighted

Thanks for the advice BellaLasagne - I will try to stick it out! Great to know that I am not alone with this problem!

Highlighted

Hi Juules,

I last posted on 12 May when I was getting worried that my hairy face was permanent.

I'm happy to report that it has much improved, so this is about 6 weeks after it was bothering me.

I think if you can stick it it's probably better to leave it alone, as no removal method is without it's trauma. Hopefully you will, like me, see a difference in a couple of months.

Bella x

Highlighted

I was really pleased to see your post and the other comments on this as I have just started to experience this after starting on Tamoxifen and thought it was just me as it isn't listed as a side-effect. Most people seem to say it is won't last - please can someone advise on how long it takes to go usually? Don't know whether to remove the hair or not as don't want to make it worse or more noticeable, but it seems to be getting longer every day and getting quite self-conscious about it!

Highlighted

Me too, I have started to grow a Santa Claus beard since being on Taamoxifen (3 months now), I use Veet waxing strips. Why on earth is this SE not mentioned, because it has bothered me so much! At least if we are forewarned we can mentally prepare!

Highlighted

Yes, I developed a lot of fine blonde facial hair after starting Tamoxifen, but it then went away of its own accord after a short while.

I think it was to do with the Tamoxifen rather than the chemo/hair growing back because my last chemo was in Sept 07 and I didn't start Tamoxifen until Dec 07, by which time the hair on my head had already begun to grow back.

Highlighted

Thank-you all so much for being open and discussing face fluff!

I was starting to think I was alone but now realise it's yet another side effect - gee, thanks chemo! My hair is coming back really thick but I too have blonde downy sideburns that are getting rather long.

I was also wondering how to get rid of it. I tried some removal cream last night but it stung like bug*ery so I had to wash it off pronto. I think after reading this thread I'll try to ignore it for a few more weeks (and try not to stroke it in meetings at work, which is a rather disturbing habit I seem to have developed!) and if it doesn't go get it waxed.

Thanks ladies,

love Bella xx

Highlighted

I had the same problem with facial hair, although I am naturally very dark the hair was blonde but in certain lights I was beginning to look like Santa Claus!!! I got some wax strips and whipped it all off, that was a few months ago and it hasn't come back - thankfully.

Tracy xx

Highlighted

I've been to the beautician and had my face waxed! The beautician was lovely, very tactful. Looking in her mirror afterwards I could see a difference and it has boosted my confidence. Partner moaned about spending the money but it cost less than his smoking habit. Unfortunately I met a beautifully coiffed aquaintance as I emerged from beauty parlour looking a bit puffy and red faced. I didn't recognise you with your new hair cut was her greeting. Doh! Hopefully this is the end of this obsession.

Highlighted

My daughter says my beard is only noticable to me but I can see them in the mirror as the sunlight catches them so others must be able to as well! I've tried the rough flannel and exfoliating cream but too embarrassed to discuss with beautician. Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one. Now I'll be staring at women's facial hair as much as if I see a woman with hair loss-I try to guess if she is having treatment.I'm concentrating on celebrating having stubby eyelashes and being able to wear mascara again. Big earrings and make up to offset the very odd looking "hair cut" and I feel I can face the world. I thought I had lots of hair on holiday but looking at pics I can see why I got stared at on the beach!! I feel like I'm stepping back into the real world now that I'm beginning to less odd. Question is am I ready to part of the crowd again given that I am not the same person as I was 8 months ago before diagnosis.
Littlemrs

Highlighted

Yup, have furry face too. Very handy for Halloween parties. Planning to go as a witch...or perhaps a cat as ears also quite furry.
Ann
x

Highlighted

I am soo.. relieved. This is the thread I have been waiting for. I thought I was doomed to become a fairground exhibit too. I even have hairy ears! So far I have tried waxing (ouch and scarlet skin), facial depilitory, (useless and too much to cover) and shaving ( velcro skin and a bit risky before going out). I finished chemo in June and my head hair is doing well apart from the fact that people keep wanting to pat me and I was told my fur was like s'one's cat! My eye lashes are now smearing my glasses. I feel abit like the sorcerer's apprentice, wishing it would stop please at least everywhere except my head. Like Jen my only hair that stuck through it all was on my knees. I agree with littlemrs about the side effects. I won't even begin about nails. I suppose I ought to be grateful it's over but it does knock your confidence.

Jenny

Highlighted

Unafitz, I cracked up at your driving story!

Yes, I've noticed some fine blonde fuzz (I'm not naturally blonde), but decided to ignore, 'cause there's other things to think about at the mo.

But would LOVE the return of nasal hairs... went for a dusty walk in the woods on hols a couple of weeks ago and inhaled enough to crop-dust a couple of acres. Hmm.

Also, to whatever power which controls hair growth: can I have some more eyelashes, please? Am cycling to work every morning (which is fine) but streaming eyes caused by combination of Tax watery eye syndrome, cold wind blowing and being a little understaffed in the Department of Eyelashes occasionally causes friends and colleagues to think I'm having a bit of an emotional moment. When I'm not! And not in denial either - just want some eyelashes back!

PS: and maybe an eyebrow or two, please?

I remember having this at the end of chemotherapy and radiotherapy .Just when everything else seemed to be easing off this facial hair took the wind from my sails .But as 'justme' said it will go very soon and you can concentrate on the hair on your head. I didnt remove it as I couldnt decide on the method but in the end ot took care of itself.

Funnily enough ,with me ,the first hair to really make it presence felt was my nostril hair. helpfully pointed out by my Grandaughter as I was driving along.I thought she was gazing at me so raptly because she was overawed by my driving prowess -but sadly no-she just wanted me to know I had a HUGE hair drooping out of my nose .
Gee Thanks Ella...

Highlighted

I had this too after chemo when head hair started growing again, had a blond werewolf face too! I got vey low about it but then snapped out of it as people kept saying they couldn't see it!

I am not sure if it fell out, or just doesn't look as bad now I have head hair. Either way I don't notice it anymore. I didn't try and remove it. If you can bare to, leave it and see what happens. You know what they say about shaving, the hair grows back thicker!

Highlighted

Hi.... I think i'll just plait my hair while i wait for it to disappear!!

the only hair i retained during chemo was on my legs....typical!!!

jen x

Highlighted

Hi Marjp,
I actually went to the salon one week into radiotherapy and I've got 11 more sessions to go. I was pleased with result; my face just looked red for a few hours afterwards. It's starting to grow back a little now, but only very fine. It cost £10 which I thought was reasonable.

Liza X

Highlighted

Hello,

I have had Chemo and Radiotherapynand Tamoxifen after surgery and now my hair on my head is growing back I too have downy hair on my face.It nice to know I am not the only one.

How long after the end of Radiotherapy did you go to Salon Liz]Rad

Highlighted

thank you for starting this thread as I was starting to worry about my marsupial apprearance. I didn't realise how hairy I was before - obvioulsy that is anthoer benefit of chemo, it removes all the hair you didn't like (negative is that all the hair you liked and needed is gone too).

I really do hope the facial hair goes like everyone elses - if not, oh no!

Funny, after all we have been through, we are now vain. I think it's great, as it means we are thinking of living and not just surviving

from a hairy girl x

Highlighted

Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one with the werewolf look. Why isn't this side effect every mentioned by the Drs/BC nurses? If I had known I wouldn't have let it worry me so much. I think I'm going to invest in a rough flannel to give my face a good scrub and I may seek advice from a salon if it doesn't improve. Its as if the hair knows it has to start growing but forgets that it isn't needed so abundantly every where. My head hair is growing quickly- I look like I've had it clippered to a number 2 although its a bit patchy at the front. I've invested in a new shampoo bar from Lush which is said to stimulate hair and scalp. I just need to avoid getting it on my face!
Little Mrs x

Highlighted

Hi ladies,

I'm almost a year post-chemo, and the downy facial hair syndrome was something I and my chemo-buddies all experienced.

I am pleased to report that it will disappear naturally within a few weeks.

xxx

Highlighted

I too became a member of "the hair bear bunch" following chemo. Fine, downy hair but i was very conscious of it so I had it waxed at a beauty salon a couple of weeks ago and i'm hoping that the re-growth won't be as bad.

Highlighted

My face is also very hairy but as well as fine blond hairs I also have designer stubble round my eyes. I think it might be to do with the steroids I was on whilst on TAC chemo. I was very sick for the first week after chemo so my oncologist gave me stronger steroids which I took an hour before chemo and then for 2 more days. I think I might pluck them as I am feeling a bit werewolf like but I don't want them to come back twice as thick !!!

Highlighted

Hi

I have also experienced the same problem and had my whole face "threaded" its a natural method of removing hair - see if you can find a salon near to you that does it. Its painful but lasts quite a while

Jackie

Highlighted

I too had fine and blond, facial hair growing as my hair grew back following chemo and having started tamoxifen. My hair is now 4/5 cms and the facial hair is disappearing of its own accord. Thank Goodness!!
Margaret

Highlighted

I too seem to be get hairier by the day, I am getting quite self-conscience about it, I hoping that it will calm down in time, and am reluctant to remove it in case in ends up in the never ending battle. I’m thinking of auditioning for the Birdseye ads soon. Maybe it’s just yet another side effect and like the others it will pass.

Highlighted

Hi Littlemrs

I am the same as you although I have found that they do seem to be disappearing. I had bought some facial hair remover but before I had used it (trying to build up courage) they seemed to start thinning. I do give my face a scrub with a flannel so whether that helped but it certainly does not look as bad now. Maybe it has just settled down, it will be interesting to see what others say

Karen

Highlighted

hairy face

Hi, I haven't posted on here for a while- just got comfort from reading other posts.
Now I need some help please .......I've had masectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, finishing treatment 2 weeks ago. I've been taking tamoxifen since July. My hair has started to regrow so I look like I've got a weird hair cut rather than bald (I chose not cover up) BUT my problem is that my face seems to be covered with fine blond hair. I know women get hairier as they approach the menopause but at this rate I will be able to exhibit as the bearded lady. What to do? Any advice much appreciated as I don't want to do anything that will encourage growth but am feeling a bit self concious. Strange when I have coped reasonably confidently with all the other changes my body has been through.
Best wishes
littlemrs