cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone had a pic line for chemo

6 REPLIES 6
nic71

Re: has anyone had a pic line for chemo

Hi I had picc line put in after 3rd fec as it took 5 atempts to cannulate and was excruciatingly painful. I can only say I wish I had had it put in before the whole thing started. I had all the glands removed from one side so it meant they could only use one side for all blood tests as well as treatments. I worked in oncology for a while so I asked for the picc line to be put in and the onc agreed at once . The community nurse came round to check the dressing and they taught my husband how to flush the line with sterile water to make sure the line was ok. It was the best thing I ever asked for and I would recommend it to anyone. Not everyone feels comfortable with it but it did make life much easier when it came to treatments etc. It only took 20mins to put it in and be talked through the care side of things, I did like having to get my hubby to wash my back when i had my bath and as we didn't have a shower that wasn't an issue.
As for keeping it clean again that is something the community or practice nurse at your gp can do.
hope all goes well.

sleepyjean

Hi I had a picc line inserted after my last cycle of epirupicin and 9 attempts to site venflon, I do not have a needle phobia or find siting the venflon painful, but after 2 hours and 3 people trying I had had enough.

Kindensurprise

Hi Netty

I had a PICC line in on the day of my 1st FEC and it's brilliant. My veins are really difficult to find, and it takes the stress out of looking for one for bloods and for the chemo.
Actually having it put in takes about 45mins, but most of that time is setting everything up. It didn't hurt, and after the 1st couple of days I can't feel it.

You can't go swimming, or shower properly as it must be kept dry.

I have had some of the markings from the outside of the tube come off inside the dressings, but this is not regarded as a problem.

For me, it's a godsend.

Kinden
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - I had a Grouschon line a few years ago as I already had both arms comprised by BC treatment. It was great for chemo and taking bloods, but I did have a lot of trouble with infections. On balance, I think it was a good thing - they couldn't use my feet for chemo and I made it clear no-one was going to touch either arm.

Unfortunately, four years later, I'm back on chemo again but this time I have been fitted with a Portacath. It's brilliant! No infections, no tedious visits to get it flushed, nothing to see! I really feel everyone should be offered one - it's a real boost to your quality of life.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi, I have had a picc line in from the beginning as i am on the epi/cmf with 12 treatments and all bloods they thought it was better. I have had no problems at all with it and only know its there when in bath as you have to keep it dry. Also it will need redressing and flushing each week. It has made having my treatment much less stressful and quicker.

just ask if you have any other questions
Lynda

ForumMember

Hi Netty

As a nurse I am just wandering why they have recommended a picc line - do they have problems cannulating you? There is a higher risk of infection with these lines as it is in you in between chemos.

Just being curious. I had my 6n chemos with cannulas with no probs (apart from the usual ones with chemo - lol)

F
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

has anyone had a pic line for chemo

hi its netty
just had ma first fec two weeks ago felt real crap for a week now feeling soooo much better, nurse adviced me to have a pic line inserted for rest of chemo as it will prevent me from being canulated all the time. I'm just worried that it may get infected and really dont want to be ill need to keep myself fit x