has anyone had to have further chemo?

Hi, i have had 4x EC and 4x docetaxel, a mastectomy 2 weeks ago and i am due to have radiotherapy shortly. Yesterday i got my results from my surgeon which were better than i could have imagined. No node involvement and no vascular invasion. My surgeon told me that the oncologist would like me to have further chemo after the radiotherapy, she didnt know the details but i will be seeing my oncologist to discuss this further with him. My head tells me that i know he wouldnt be suggesting this if he didnt think it was necessary, and i am very grateful for such great results. I am however struggling with the thought of another picc line, my hair is growing back and now i might lose it again, more side effects, i thought that was behind me.
Has anyone else had to have further chemo like this? My tumour was an 8cm grade 3 triple negative.
thanks
anna

Hi Anna,

Bumping your post up because you haven’t had a response yet. I can’t really answer your question because although we have had the same treatment and similar size and grade tumours mine was HER2+. I do wonder if it’s because yours is triple negative and you might get more response if you post on the triple negative forum?

Good luck, Jan xx

hi anna35,hope you dont mind me joing in this thread,i’m 43 and have just had my last chemo yesterday.I’m due to have full masectomy around 18 feb,chemo was to shrink tumour pre- op it is around 6cm with lymph nodes involved.I have been told i may have to have more chemo after op then rads.Lesleyx

Hi, thanks for your responses. Yes i think it is because of the triple negative status. I guess although i dont feel it, i am lucky that my oncologist is wanting to do his best. I remember at the start of treatment him saying i cant promise you that we can cure this but i can promise you we will do our best. I am lucky that i have such a caring team looking after me, bless them. As much as i hate the thought of more chemo, it would be daft for me to fall at this hurdle, im just not sure were the energy is going to come from.
take care
anna

Hi Anna

I had chemo both sides of the ops so have some idea of what you are going through. It is total rubbish when you think that you are almost through but actually i found the second lot easier - apart from being fed up at treatment taking forever. Never really established why but think it was down to extent of disease rather than hormone receptors.

Wishing you the best of everyhting

Love

Jane x

Hi Jane, thanks for that. Can i ask? was it the same chemo as before the op? Im kinda hoping it will be a nicer one. Its really good to know others have experienced it too, i was starting to wonder if there was something he wasnt telling me.
take care
annaxx