67355members
354895posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone opted for a double mastectomy?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: has anyone opted for a double mastectomy?

I had a mastectomy after a wide local excision for DCIS failed to produce clear margins - I wanted a mastectomy from the start but consultant keen to try WLE.  Three months later DCIS found on the other side so I had a second mastectomy (I absolutely did not want to try WLE again and surgeon agreed - just as well as there turned out to be invasive cells which needed other treatment).   

I think the psychological impact mentioned might depend on how you feel about it - I wanted to do everything possible to get rid of the problem and to try to make sure it did not come back. Mastectomy felt like the best option to me so I felt much happier going down that route - and no regrets afterwards.  It probably helped that both mastectomies revealed things which had not shown up on scans, ultrasounds etc so I was told both times that the mx had been the right decision!  There is also family history.    

I have not had reconstructions and don't plan to do so.  It might sound odd but I found it was slightly easier after the second mx - not being lopsided gives me much more flexibility on whether to bother with prostheses or not (depends what I am doing/wearing).

Not quite the same as your issues as I did not have the option of having the mastectomies at the same time but hope this helps.  Best of luck with your decisions.  

Highlighted

Was diagnosed a few weeks ago with 5cm DCIS intermediate on the right breast and told last week that I have a small one on the left as well.  Consultant immediately suggested double mastectomy even though left one is very small.   So clearly different points of view according to the consultant;  Maybe go for a second opinion?

Highlighted

Mine seems very reluctant. I will keep pushing though.. 

Highlighted

I pushed for both......they can't actually refuse. .....xxxx 3 weeks post opx
Highlighted

I asked for a double but was told I didn't need it....the cancer was only 6mm in left breast. Asked for left side mastectomy.... told you don't need it. Went ahead with WLE and sentinel lymph node biopsy. 2 weeks later told they had taken 5 1/2 cm (it was a lot bigger than they thought) but still didn't have clear margins. Booked in for left side mastectomy but it was then cancelled 5 days before so they could do mri biopsy on something in right side they found during first mri... I have said I would still like a double but was told they don't like removing good tissue. Will hopefully find out on 23/6 and have surgery on 5/7... x

Highlighted

Hi I am waiting for BRCA test results and have asked for bilateral mastectomies which they've agreed to.Only have bc in one breast. My sister had bc 25 years ago, initially had lumpectomy and then had two further primary lumps in both breasts and eventually had bilateral mastectomies/reconstruction and is now 56 and had no further problems.

They are very sure the test results will come back positive though so that might make a difference.

Highlighted

I had double 3 years ago much easier for reconstruction as they have to operate on the non cancerous side anyway to even it up.
This was my theory!! If they will do double go for it!
Highlighted

I did have a double mx two weeks ago - cancer on both sides, and although the tumour on the left was very small, it made more sense that way as I'm also small-breasted. I now have tissue expanders and am awaiting implants. The expanders on both sides are pretty uncomfortable, but I hope it'll all settle down eventually. I don't have BRCA1 or 2. Wishing you well with your decision.
Highlighted

I can't answer about a double mastectomy but from my experience of a single one (no recon) I know I would not have coped with the pain and arm/shoulder movement  problems on both sides at once. 

Highlighted

Hi Den64 I asked my consultant if I could have a double mx. I need a mx on my right plus have to have a DCIS on left removed. She said no as they always try to save the breast if they possibly can. And that I shouldn't underestimate the psychological impact of having a double mx. But like you I'm thinking just get rid! 😳xx
Highlighted

has anyone opted for a double mastectomy?

Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone has asked for  double mastectomy? I have been told that i need a mastectomy on my right and lump removal on my left also having the BRCA test as having BC in both breast it might be because of that. I have been wondering if they would give me a double mastectomy as they have to do surgery on both anyway and if after surgery the BRCA test is positive then they would then do a mastectomy on my left anyway. just think get it all over with at once or am i looking at this wrong? xx