having mastectomy , what to expect?

hi ladies,
i have just sorted out my plan today for mastectomy and lymph node removal, it was done on the telephone because i live 125 miles from the nearest hospital so i’m not really sure about the details. i’m going in the next 10 days, but not sure of the exact date. what i wondered was, after the operation, how long did it take to get around doing normal things, making a cuppa, walking the dog etc. You can probably tell that i have no idea what its going to be like but if i have some idea of the timespan from op to fairly normal it might help me prepare a little. i know everyone is different, but any info is better than not having a clue.
thanks, angiepops x

hi mm
so how long before you could drive, thats going to imprison me, we’re very rural! you didnt stay in long though, i was sure at some point i was told 5 days, did you have a nurse visit or anything like that. im so far away from the hospital but we still have district nurses.
a x

Hi Angiepops,
I am four weeks on from my Ms and ANC. The actual op itself was not too traumatic, and as a fair number of pain killers were administered, I was pain free for the first 24 hours and manageable for a few days. Depending upon how much nerve damage there is, your arm will be numb, a bit swollen and sting a bit. I always though it strange that although all the acton was on the chest and underarm, all the pain and discomfort was in my arm! (all to do with the nerves affected).
I was discharged with a drain after 2 days, it would have been 1 except I still suffered from Nausea the morning after. The drain is an annoyance, but as I wasn’t moving around too much it didn’t bother me a lot. Although I felt OK, if a bit tired, I wasn’t my usual sprightly self! After a week the drain was taken out, and the dressing after 10 days.
After about 3-4 days I was able to take the dog out for short walks, but the arm on the affected side was limited in use; I wouldn’t want the dog to pull the lead. I did tire easily.
by two weeks after, I was getting frustrated at not being able to drive, and three weeks after felt pretty much back to usual energy levels, but my arm is still not back 100%. Oddly enough, the wound didn’t start to hurt until about a week later, but this is because the nerves are starting to recover.
I would advise you to do the exercises suggested by the physio; I have been lax the last few days, and my arm is noticibly stiffer.
All in all, I found the experience OK. The best bit was the fact that the tumour had been removed. A great relief. I use cream on the wound site and arm (advised to help prevent Lymphoedema). Being lopsided is something I will have to deal with at some point, but I would rather get all treatments over with before I worry about that.
Please ask questions if you need to, and good luck!
Best wishes,
MM

Hi Angiepops,
You may already have had your surgery by now, if you have I hope its gone well and you are relaxing lots! Just thought I would add in to this thread: I had a Mx in January this year. I came home after 2 nights in hospital with only one of my drains in. I felt tired mostly for the first couple of days after discharge and kept myself topped up with regular painkillers but to be honest was pretty much pain free except for the drain site. I went back to get the drain taken out the next morning and felt so much more comfortable when this was taken out. I didnt start driving until about 3-4weeks after surgery but would have felt fine to at 2weeks. I think when you feel able to perform an emergency stop and can comfortably move your arms then you are safe enough to drive but double check with your insurance company.
As for walking the dogs, I walked alongside my hubby who held the lead for the first couple of weeks. My dog tends to pull a lot and is very strong. Now I am in the habit of holding the lead on my good side and putting more effort in to lead training haha.
A nurse did come out to visit me, the breast cancer community nurse was unavailable but my district nurse came just to check on my wound and change my dressing as I still hadnt looked at my wound at that point.
I wore a vest under my clothes with my softie tucked in because bras were uncomfortable for a short time. The softie wasnt that secured but it felt better to me than nothing.
Best wishes, hope you are recovering well x

Hi Angiepops - I just wanted to let you know that I started posting my “Diary of a Mastectomy” in the thread Undergoing treatment;surgery. My surgery was on 1 March so you may be following on behind me. I’m day 16 today. Don’'t forget though - everyone is different in terms of diagnosis, treatment, physical and psychological reaction so I think the best thing to do is to listen to your own body. I hope all is going well for you. XX

Stay in hospital as long as they say. You will be sorish, and make lymph that has to be removed from wound by the breast care nurses.
do all the exercises they tell you on the leaflet, I can now get arm as high as the other. I am two years on and never really think much about it. Good luck.

Hello Angie pops. I am going for the same as you next month so your question has helped me and thank you to those who replied. It has helped me too. I wish you luck Angiepops