hello

hello

hello Hi, I found a lump just over two months back. Saw my gp, who sent off a referal, say the Consultant within 5 days, who said hmmm and then wanted an ultrasounds and a biopsy done…waited around for that, to find that the radiographer had gone home. A week later had the ultrasound done, and that consultant went hmmm, quite a few lumps, yes surgery will take place and i wont be doing a biopsy…is that good or bad? Anyway, my date for my op has come through and tbh, ive hardly been told anything. I saw the consultant on monday, who says that my lumps are benign…well i havent had a biopsy done so how do they know? So I am a bit unsure over whats what and wheres where. All in all, from seeing my GP to getting a date through for surgery has taken just over 3 weeks, which seems a bit too quick in my mind if it is nothing, but maybe I am stressing too much about it. Im trying not to as my hubby is away until 2 days before my op, and ive got two small kiddywinks to be a ‘funmum’ to.

Hi Steffers!

This isn’t a very busy part of the whole chat forum so I thought I’d reply to you in case nobody else does. You might want to try the Have I got breast cancer? site instead. Though from what you are saying, the consultant seems confident it is benign.

All I can tell you about making a diagnosis from an ultrasound is that I was chatting with the doctor who did mine and he said it is very clear to his trained eye from an ultrasound whether a lump is suspicious, or benign such as fibroadenoma or cyst. I’ve had a fibroadenoma in the past (removed surgically) and several cysts (drained).

In your shoes I would want more information prior to surgery. What exactly is he proposing to do in this operation and why? Do you have any other choices and if not why not?

If you read other postings, you’ll see that the patient is usually offered the choice of surgery if the lump seems to be benign. Maybe in your case having more than one lump might mean that biopsies aren’t practical or necessary if he plans to remove them anyway? But I’d still want to know - so why not try to get more information from your breast clinic nurse service - usually accessible by phone or the consultant’s secretary (although she is not medically qualified, she can convey your confusion to the consultant for you and get back to you with either another appointment to see him again or an explanation by phone. (It’s perfectly acceptable to telephone and ask). If you don’t feel able to do that, your GP should have an up-to-date report from the consultant so contact him.

I do hope somebody who has had your problem with a benign result sees your posting and gives you the specific help and support you need. If not, you could be stuck with me! I’d love to be able to give you the reassurance you’d like because most breast problems are benign, but until you get the all clear yourself, nothing anyone says will be convincing. All I can do is wish you the very best of luck, and even if husband has had the bad timing not to be there for you right now, you don’t have to go through this angst by yourself. Lots of love from P.