hello

diagnosed today really confused with all these abreviations i was told i had grade 3 ER-ve with ? axilla involvement having another biopsy next monday or wed then surgery on the 20th of may ,can anyone explain to me my diagnosis,

Hi mad4cavs

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below links to some of our publications you might find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone in confidence.  0808 800 6000 lines open at 9am today through to 5pm (weekdays) and 10-2 Saturdays.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m a year down the line and really understand that feeling of disbelief and fear. I can only say that it does get better as time moves on. At first I didn’t want to know anything about my type of cancer all I wanted was the assurance that something could be done and that is what I asked for. As time has passed I have found out lots more information which I can now cope with. Don’t be in a hurry take your time to find out and most importantly don’t believe everything you read. It is easy to hear the bad side of things and not always easy to believe in the positive things. My BC is also a grade 3 which as someone has said means the cells are most different from normal breast tissue. I think this type of cancer can grow more quickly but on the good side it is usually easier to notice and find. The ER-ve means it is not fed by oestrogen and that is why hormone tablets have no effect. Mine is positive to everything. Some people have told me that mine is the worst kind while others have said it is the best kind. I’ve come to the conclusion that all BC is the horrible kind but I trust my doctors to do everything they can to get rid of it and I’m certain this is what they will do for you. I had to have a lumpectomy, Senttinel Node Biopsy (which was clear) followed by Chemo, radio therapy, hormone tablets and herceptin so nearly the full works. It was really frightening before I started treatment but I can honestly say it is not any where near as bad as I imagined. All of it has been manageable and I have been able to do all the things I normally do on most days. Coping with the fear is difficult but again you do get used to it most of the time but it does lurk in the background. Having Cancer is a lonely place but you will find lots of help and support on here and other places. Good luck and let us know how you get on.