Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help for men out ther

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: help for men out ther

Hi Bill

As Steve has kindly mentioned, you may find Breast Cancer Care's peer support service of help, our Peer Support telephone service aims to quickly put you in touch with one of our trained peer supporters, who has had a personal experience of breast cancer. Our peer supporters are from diverse backgrounds and ages and have experienced different types of breast cancer and treatments. They are ready to listen, offer skilled emotional support and share their experiences and understanding.

For more information about this and our other support services available to you, please telephone our helpline on 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm) or email:

info@breastcancercare.org.uk

Best wishes
Lucy

Highlighted

Hi Bill
Are you speaking as a sufferer or the partner of a sufferer? If the former, then BCC have a network, albeit small, for men with breast cancer, which I know little about. If you are the partner of someone with breast cancer, then there is a peer support organisation. If you ring BCC they will be able to put you in touch with someone in a similar situation to yours. I have been a member of that group for about ten years now, and unfortunately we get very few referrals, men simply don't seem to want to talk about it. That means that a number of the early Partner Volunteers have dropped out and there are not too many of us left, despite recent recruitments. However, if it is suitable for your situation, give BCC a ring and ask to be put in touch with someone
All the best
Steve

Highlighted

Hi Bill99

Very often there are local cancer charities that can be of great help to those who have loved ones with breast cancer. In Ayrshire where I live, there is a trust called the KIAMA Trust that provides help and support for those affected by breast cancer. Husbands, wives, partners,sons and daughters can all get access to personal conselling as well as access to complementary therapies. It is a great place.

You should check out the local charities and see if such a place exists close to you and that might give you some relief from your concerns.

Best wishes and I hope everything goes well.

Bill

Highlighted

Hi Bill99

I so agree with you, my son Nicky(24) was diagnosed aug 2006 and really even now after all he has been through (mascectomy, lymph nodes removed, 6 months chemo, radio and now tomoxathen for 5 years) I still dont know or understand too much about what happened or why !!! I wish I had found this site sooner because at least you are with others who understand and care. (the hosp were and still are excellant so no complaints there, they are as much In the dark as us )
Anyway If we can be of any help to you please ask!!
Take care
Irene

Highlighted

Hi Bill99,

My husband was lent a copy of 'Breast Cancer Husband' by Marc Silver. Although the book is American and so not everything is relevant (it goes on a lot about insurance for instance) I know he found it really useful.

You can get it on Amazon.

Highlighted

Hi Bill99

Firstly, can I say welcome to the discussion forums, you may find of interest a Breast Cancer Care publication In it together - for partners of people with breast cancer.http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/inittogether_web_0.pdf The booklet is for anyone who is in a relationship with someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. It aims to give you a better understanding of your situation and offers tips to help you look after yourself and your partner, both now and in the future. I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Katie

Highlighted

help for men out ther

I have found to my great disappointment the lack of help out there for us men is there any other men out there feel the same?