herceptin at home any problems anyone

Hi just wondered how you all get on with herceptin at home… are there any drawbacks… any problems you’ve accounted… any tips…i may be getting the treatment at home and was just wondering how good its going to be or not… all advice appreciated… have a good evening all

My Onc offered me herceptin at home as I had to travel 25 miles each way to the big county hospital, however I refused, my veins were pretty knackered and most times it would take several attempts by several nurses to get a vein and when I was half way thru it got licensed by NICE so I then had company by other ladies and quite enjoyed chatting and catching up. Also didn’t want any treatment at home especially with young kids, I wanted to keep that seperate and was always quite pleased to walk out of the chemo suite and knock another one off.

Others on here have been in favour of home treatment, it just wasn’t for me.

Debbie

I have mine at home and it is fine. I have dreadful veins but there are a couple of the nurses who can cannulate me inside the elbow. That is a possible problem because if the nurse can’t cannulate you, there isn’t anyone else to try. But I find it relaxing to be at home and you get the full attention of the nurse throughout the treatment.
Anne

they do have problems with my veins the first nurse can neverdo it but the second always can… i have been told to ring a number b4 i start if i start at home. perhaps i should mention it to them… for the next trip to hospital i was told to keep my hand warm even put a glove on to see if thathelps … the pads they put on dont seem to do anything and i take it i waont have that at home…
julie

I have to soak my hand in a basin of hot water before they start maybe that would help.

thanks for the tip i will try that. have a good weekend

I have tried everything - soaking in a hot bath, drinking loads of water, doing lots of exercise, the hot pad (the nurse brings one) but the veins in my hand gave up long ago! But the vein inside my elbow is a good one apparently and it is ok to use it for Herceptin although they wouldn’t want to for chemo.
I have had 13 Herceptin now so only 5 to go.
Good luck
Anne

I finished Herceptin back in April and it was great for me to have it done at home as our business is run from home - I don’t drive and it meant OH didn’t have to take time out to get me to the hospital (he went for every one of my chemo/rads with me). I have terrible veins as well, but we always managed to get one in the end, usually in an awkward spot.

I have Herceptin at home, its been great, they come at what time I specify always on time and we have a good chat about this and that. I am lucky and have a portacath as my veins were shot following 2 chemo regimes.

I have has some side effects, dripping nose, sore eyes and feeling a little under the weather but all manageable in my busy life.

Good luck

I had it both ways and think that at home was generally better. One of the big advantages to herceptin at home was not having to go anywhere near the hospital. I think that spending an additional year around a cancer ward is a bad thing. I only spent nine months going to the hospital but I think that it made it harder for me to recover from having had cancer, partly because I got to meet some very nice people who died while I was still finishing my herceptin. It was also really time consuming.

Did you know that if you have your herceptin at home, the treatment centre can reclaim the VAT on the drug!!! And bearing in mind how muchit costs, that is an awful lot of money … ( I’m under the empression it costs 32k…) Now why don’t they tell us all that??

Nice to see you ‘on line’ Anne, and nice to know you from the sessions!!

Td xx